“Don't believe the bad reviews - this place is G*R*E*A*T!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown

You added Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510 (Formerly Norfolk Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
hickory, nc
“Don't believe the bad reviews - this place is G*R*E*A*T!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Driving 6hrs from NC in the middle of the night, we arrived the Friday of July 4th weekend in Norfolk at 6:45 am - a full half day before check-in. I called the hotel to see if perhaps we could check in early at 11am. The gentleman at the front desk told us to come on in. By 7:10 am we were in a great room, in a comfy Sleep Number bed and we didn't wake up until 11 am. We stayed for three nights. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. They gave great recommendations for dinner each night and even suggested a few non-touristy places to check out. The pool was nice and never was terribly crowded. We didn't try the onsite restuarant, but I think that is probably because the staff recommended such unique off-site places.

The lobby is great - decorated in a very mod way, black and red. Funky furniture and lots of places to sit. The lobby is huge and while we were there, several large family reunions were taking place. As we would pass through it was a treat to see everyone gathering in the lobby and sharing stories. There is a small gym off the main lobby, as well as a barbershop/spa, although we never saw the shop open. I think it may have been by appt. only.

We stayed on the top floor, number 12. The hallways were a little warm during the day, but the room was plenty crisp and cool. The bed had a multitude of white coverlets and linens and more pillows than an army would need. I mentioned earlier that the beds were Sleep Number beds - something we didn't discover until the second night, and only by accident. We played around with this feature a little, but ultimately it didn't make much difference. The beds were super comfy and even though we were only expecting a Queen, having a King was a great perk. The room didn't come with a microwave or mini-fridge, but we rented one for $1 a day. Can you beat that? The bathroom was a little small, but how much time do you spend in there anyway? It was clean and that is all that really mattered.

This is a pet friendly hotel, but the only "furry human" we ran into was Beemer, one morning in the back side lot of the hotel. Beemer's "dad" I think is the hotel manager. He was a pleasant fellow and we had a nice chat. Made us wish we had brought along our dog Buddha Jayne for company...perhaps next time.

The location had me a little worried right at first - it is right across from Public Services and the Greyhound station on one side and Public Housing on the other. But everyone we encountered in the neighborhood was super friendly. It was less than a mile from the McArthur Center, a three-story mall downtown. It was an easy walk, even in the summer heat. Just one block further over and you can reach the harbor front and have dinner at Joe's Crab Shack and watch the ships roll in and out of the harbor.

The one and only bad thing I can say is that within an hour of checking out of the room I realized I had left a purple cell phone in the room. We were already well on the road, so I called back to the hotel to try and get housekeeping to recover it. I made multiple calls during the next week and a half, with the housekeeping folks telling me someone would return my call, but no luck on locating the phone I guess but I've yet to receive a phone call back. My fault for not packing it back up, but a return phone call would have been nice.

The parking fee of $12 for each night was a little steep, but considering that we booked through a third party and the price we received was actually 74% off the direct booking price that weekend, we couldn't complain. We lucked up I think. The value we got was unbelievable. Even though this was our first trip to Norfolk, we are seriously considering taking a vaction again at the end of September, just to go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Lorton, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

This was the worst experience I have ever had in my life with a hotel. We showed up at 3:00 to check in and had to wait in line for almost an hour because they were understaffed and the few reps they did have were not very fast, were not polite and were unmotivated to be working there. We were on a tight schedule and had obligations to meet, so time was not something we had. Once we did get to the front we were informed that our room would not be ready anytime soon. We also had AAA and they refused to honor that. Finally around 5:30 pm we were given a room (hours after we were supposed to be checked in) and the manager on duty offered to give waive my parking fee (a whopping $7.00) and sent us on our way as there was a line around the corner. We get to our room and it was trashed. It had not been cleaned, trash everywhere, two dirty beds, a used condom on the floor, etc. I then had to go back down and wait again to speak to someone and finally got a new room that was clean. Sure enough I get the bill in the morning and not only did they not waive the parking fee, they also charged me for two parking fees. My friend who shared the room with me went down in the morning to speak with the manager and she knocked off the parking fees and honored our AAA. My original bill was 160.77 with taxes. After getting our AAA honored and getting the parking wiped out, our new bill was $112.87. The discount did not make up for the anxiety I experienced, but making me late for my event, but I did feel better. Then I get home today and my card was hit with over $190.00 in charges. Even more than the original bill. I do have all may paperwork and expect to eventually get this worked out, but now I will probably have to spend hours on the phone with managers to get this fixed. Even if they gave me the room for free, it would not make up for how bad my experience has been. This place flat out sucks and is the most poorly managed place I have ever seen in my life.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
IHGCare, IHG ICare at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Dear Timgul,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the billing may have caused you.

We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Brenda Johnson
Case Manager
IHGCare
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I recently went here for a sight vist. When I first arrived at the hotel the front lobby area looked nice. Unfortunately, that was the only thing nice about this place. The manager on duty checked me in and informed me that my room was dirty and not ready yet. It was 5:30pm. He gave me a drink ticket and told me he would come get me when the room was ready. I sat at the bar and ordered a drink. It took 10 minutes for me to be served. I was a little annoyed seeing how there was only about 5 people sitting at the bar. I sat and chatted with other people at the bar until 7:30pm when my room was ready. I went up to my room and settled in. I started putting my belongings away and noticed that the bathroom was still dirty there was hair on the floor. The toilet didn't flush, the sink was clogged and the hair dryer didn't work. Also my view was looking out at Section 8 housing/parking lot.

I was hungry and didn't feel like going out to eat. I searched for the room service menu which they didn't have. I then went downstairs to get something quick to eat. When I went to the bar/restaurant it was empty and the bartender was washing the dishes. I went to the front desk to ask of any nearby restaurants in the area that were open. He told me that there are places on Gransby Street that are open and that I could walk there. I asked him if it was safe since I was a young woman alone. He said yes. I also informed him that my room was still dirty. He informed me that he would have housekeeping go up there right away to clean the room. It took me 15-20 minutes to get to an open restaurant.

When I arrived back at my hotel room I noticed that some of my money was missing. I immediately called the front desk. A manager and security came up and I informed them what happened. I then had to call the police to report the incident.
The next day at the site visit I informed the Manager about what happened. She informed me that they would get this resolved right away. I ended up not spending another night at the hotel. I had to go back later in the week to follow up on the incident. The Manager felt horrible that this happened and reimbursed the money that was stolen. Regardless, I will not be planning to stay here in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Prior to booking our room i spent time reading the reviews about the crown plaza and i was very concerned, but the price was right so i took a chance. I found out that the chance i took was not a chance at all. From the moment we arrived with were impressed with the quality and service of the Crown Plaza.
The staff members greeted us upon our arrive (Milton, Kiki and another women can recall her name) and they got us check right in. We had a problem with our online booking which they resolved with no fuss. The housekeeping staff was great as well and provided us with a few odds and ends that we left back at home.
The room we stayed in was really large and well maintained, and was complete with a little kitchen (included Microwave, frig, and sink). The beds were sleep number and the bathroom was really small. All and All the hotel was great. My advice though is don't pay for the cont. breakfast it is just ok and the bar seem to never be open, two elevators were not working but it caused no issue as the other two move fast. The pool was nice and there was a ton of parking. One negative was that the wireless internet in the room was so poor we had to use the computers in the business center. Crown Plaza Norfolk we will be back!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

My girlfriend and I were in town for a friend's 40th birthday bash and decided to book a room at the Crowne Plaza in Norfolk. Initially, we were a little skeptical because of some of the reviews we read, but decided to take a chance. We found our stay to be quite pleasant. Friday night, we ventured to Granby Street and had dinner at a very nice restaurant there. It was only a stone's throw from the hotel, so we chose to walk. Following the party Saturday night, we were in the mood for a good dessert. One of the hotel staff suggested the Baker's Crust in Ghent, so we drove over and was quite appreciative that he suggested the restaurant. We found our room to be clean and cozy. Some of the reviews mentioned the sounds of sirens, which we did notice. However, we came to realize that there is both a fire station and a police station not too far from the hotel, which I'm sure added to the number of sirens being heard. At no time did we not feel safe. The hotel isn't yet on the scale of some that we have stayed in, but it is certainly on its way. Overall, we found our stay at Crowne Plaza to be very nice. Upon visiting Norfolk again, we will strongly consider staying there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
South Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

The hallway and room was musty smelling had poor lighting. Had to call twice for hot water at night and the next morning. Poor shuttle service...driver drove past us 3 times at airport and was not courtious. Front desk clerks were very unconcerned that we had to wait for shuttle service at airport and were not very customer friendly. Don't let the name fool you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry you had an unpleasant stay at the Crowne Plaza. However I must point out that the Crowne Plaza Virginia beach Bonney Road does not offer shuttle service. Therefore I am concerned we have been confused with another Crowne Plaza in this area. Please feel free to contact me at 473 1700 so I address your issues or connect you to someone who can.

Mark Smith
GM
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Prior to checking in, the internet indicated this hotel was located between a public housing project and bus station. We would have never known had the internet
not indicated it. Very, very quiet area, only saw the public housing at a distance by looking out of the window. They accomodations were fantastic. They rooms were great
and the area they provided for our gatherings were great as well as the food that was
served at the gatherings. We had a group of about 750 people. Everyone was very
pleased. The hotel decor is modern and beautiful

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!