“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown

You added Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown to your Saves list
Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23510 (Formerly Norfolk Plaza Hotel)   |
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Prior to booking our room i spent time reading the reviews about the crown plaza and i was very concerned, but the price was right so i took a chance. I found out that the chance i took was not a chance at all. From the moment we arrived with were impressed with the quality and service of the Crown Plaza.
The staff members greeted us upon our arrive (Milton, Kiki and another women can recall her name) and they got us check right in. We had a problem with our online booking which they resolved with no fuss. The housekeeping staff was great as well and provided us with a few odds and ends that we left back at home.
The room we stayed in was really large and well maintained, and was complete with a little kitchen (included Microwave, frig, and sink). The beds were sleep number and the bathroom was really small. All and All the hotel was great. My advice though is don't pay for the cont. breakfast it is just ok and the bar seem to never be open, two elevators were not working but it caused no issue as the other two move fast. The pool was nice and there was a ton of parking. One negative was that the wireless internet in the room was so poor we had to use the computers in the business center. Crown Plaza Norfolk we will be back!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

My girlfriend and I were in town for a friend's 40th birthday bash and decided to book a room at the Crowne Plaza in Norfolk. Initially, we were a little skeptical because of some of the reviews we read, but decided to take a chance. We found our stay to be quite pleasant. Friday night, we ventured to Granby Street and had dinner at a very nice restaurant there. It was only a stone's throw from the hotel, so we chose to walk. Following the party Saturday night, we were in the mood for a good dessert. One of the hotel staff suggested the Baker's Crust in Ghent, so we drove over and was quite appreciative that he suggested the restaurant. We found our room to be clean and cozy. Some of the reviews mentioned the sounds of sirens, which we did notice. However, we came to realize that there is both a fire station and a police station not too far from the hotel, which I'm sure added to the number of sirens being heard. At no time did we not feel safe. The hotel isn't yet on the scale of some that we have stayed in, but it is certainly on its way. Overall, we found our stay at Crowne Plaza to be very nice. Upon visiting Norfolk again, we will strongly consider staying there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
South Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

The hallway and room was musty smelling had poor lighting. Had to call twice for hot water at night and the next morning. Poor shuttle service...driver drove past us 3 times at airport and was not courtious. Front desk clerks were very unconcerned that we had to wait for shuttle service at airport and were not very customer friendly. Don't let the name fool you.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Thank you for your comments and I am sorry you had an unpleasant stay at the Crowne Plaza. However I must point out that the Crowne Plaza Virginia beach Bonney Road does not offer shuttle service. Therefore I am concerned we have been confused with another Crowne Plaza in this area. Please feel free to contact me at 473 1700 so I address your issues or connect you to someone who can.

Mark Smith
GM
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

Prior to checking in, the internet indicated this hotel was located between a public housing project and bus station. We would have never known had the internet
not indicated it. Very, very quiet area, only saw the public housing at a distance by looking out of the window. They accomodations were fantastic. They rooms were great
and the area they provided for our gatherings were great as well as the food that was
served at the gatherings. We had a group of about 750 people. Everyone was very
pleased. The hotel decor is modern and beautiful

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza over a weekend as a guest at a friend's wedding elsewhere in Norfolk. We booked through a block of rooms the bride and groom had reserved. The block price was actually more expensive than the military or AAA prices. When I pointed this out to the desk attendant, she changed our room rate to the AAA price (we are members). The staff is very friendly. The hotel is in a sketchy part of town, and our room overlooked a section 8 housing complex. We saw police car lights all night. The hotel decor is at least 30 years old in the common areas and bathrooms, and it's generally pretty grungy. Our guest room had obviously been recently painted and given new furniture, but the bed was awful. It seemed to be some cheap version of a Sleep Number bed, but didn't have dual zone controls, just a single air bladder. My husband is easily 75 or so pounds heavier than me, so all night as he would move I was being bounced around the bed uncontrollably. I have slept on nicer air mattresses while camping in the woods! Also, the air conditioner was quite loud and stunk up the room when we turned it on. It's probably 30 years old too.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

The hotel was designed by famed hotel architect Morris Lapidus (The Fountianbleu and Eden Rock hotels on Miami Beach) and opened in 1960 as the Golden Triangle Motor Hotel. That hey day had long past and in recent years the property had gone down, down, down. It is obvious that the new owners have put a lot of money into attempting to bring the hotel back. In fact, there are very few interior items that can be tied to original -- a door here, some hardware there, the paneling in the restaurant.

One thing that hasn't changed is that the hotel basically sits on a two story plinth that houses the all of the back-of-the-house service areas. There is a ramp that leads up the front doors and smaller ramps that allow vehicle access up and down to the parking lot without returning to the city streets. After check-in I drove down the ramp to the parking lot only to realize that there is no easy way back up to the lobby level. With luggage in hand I was faced with either climbing the stairs or going up the ramp that was labeled "No Pedestrians." I took the ramp option since there were only about 6 cars in the parking lot. I don't know what was the original plan for moving people and luggage around the entry. My guess is that it would have been done with valet parking. When I arrived here were no bellmen or valet parkers. In fact the only employee I saw upon arrival was one lone desk clerk.

The desk clerk was very efficient but not very friendly. "Initial here by the room rate." "Initial here that you don't have a pet." "Initial here that.... " I wasn't sure if I was renting a hotel room or getting a mortgage for it.

My room (707) was small (and the bathroom even smaller) but it was just for me. I don't know if that is the typical room or not. All of the furnishings in the room appeared to be new. I thought it strange that the dresser was set up for a flat panel TV but the TV was a tube style. The desk chair had many paint dots on it so it might not have been new either. The heat was on in the room when I got there but it had been cool last week so I swapped it over to the A/C and figured it would cool off in a while. The bed was very firm and I'm surprised it wasn't a pillow top mattress that are pretty much a hotel standard these days.

I have to admit there was an odd smell in the hallway that I thought was very antiseptic/medicinal and never could figure out what it was. I did smell a musty smell once as well when walking past the air return on the way out of the restaurant.

I had both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. For dinner the only staff seemed to be the bartender which is strange as the bar is hidden behind a wall from the restaurant entrance. A little signage could go a long way. For breakfast there appeared to be only one server. Both were very friendly and tried their best but obviously lacked the training and polished of experienced staff. The food was good in taste and not a bad value for eating in the hotel. It could have been plated better with more attention to detail.

I did not use the hotel fitness center or pool. The pool is located in the rear of the hotel and had been located between to low-rise wings that came off the main tower of property. The wings have been torn down and now the pool sits exposed on three sides to the city which seems very strange. The removal of the wings also leaves two large windowless areas on the rear of the building which are very strange aesthetically. There are two concrete cantilevered stairways from the restaurant to the pool desk but that doesn't seem to be the entrance to the pool. Maybe next time when it is pool season I will venture out there.

I did have issues with both the Air Conditioning as well as locating a functioning ice machine. My wi-fi connection in my room frequently required that I re-sign in for no reason at all.

I know that opening or even re-opening a hotel requires a lot of growing pains and things frequently do not run smoothly at first. Hopefully the issues that I encountered are just growing pains.

If the hotel plans to compete against the other downtown hotels such as the Marriott, Sheraton and soon to be Westin, then they've got to step up their service game and pay attention to the details if it is to be successful.

I would recommend the hotel with reservation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
RICHMOND, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I came to this hotel with negative feelings after reading past reviews from trip advisor. But when my husband and I arrived we were pleasantly supprised. As soon we entered the hotel there was a gentleman waiting at the door with his hands behind his back and as we walked past he smiled and said welcome to the crowne plaza and eventhough it was pretty obvious where the front desk was located he directed us to it. Checkin was fast and the receptionist was very friendly and actully had a small conversation with our three year old daughter as she checked us in. Before we finished with the check in process I asked for a luggage cart. The guy at the door (Henry) must have spidee sences because the receptionist just smiled and pointed and there he was waiting with the luggage cart right behind us; which we didnt even have a chance to use ourselves because he took all of the luggage out of our car and loaded it into the room. Once we entered the room I noticed a small netted bag at the corner of the first bed. There were things such as earplugs for light sleepers, lavender spray for the beds, eye masks and there were even drape clips to keep the blinds closed. The only issue that we really had was that we really had was that our remote didnt work, but it was a small fix and happend within three minutes. Yes public housing is across the street but alot of people don't realize that not all public housing is the same. I never saw any real activity on that side of the hotel (looked kinda dead actually) and wasnt really worried because nothing was on that side of the hotel to be interested in. Yes I did see a building across the street but its not a welfare building, its just a place where people go who are less fortunate than others to help take care of there families (this is in every city, especially in downtown areas). Anyways I walked in skeptical and walked out knowing I had and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!