“What are your standards???” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“What are your standards???”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

After reviewing the comments, I decided to book this hotel for my husband and son (As I was staying at another hotel in the area). Since I'm in the travel business, I do not like to send clients to places I can't put my stamp of approval. When arriving, we were greeted and checked-in. "Carmen" was really nice and informative. She let us know things happening at the Oceanfront. We didn't have to ask and this is a plus. When arriving to room 319, it was okay and clean. I was looking for the Wow!! Hotels should give you the feeling of home away from home. It had a queen bed, a recliner, desk and chair. Also a full refrigerator, a burner and other utensils. The bathroom was basic. No DVD as promised. Downfall it was small, no breakfast/restaurant and didn't have a pool. It is for business or couples more than a family hotel. More of a place to stay for delayed flights, home repairs etc. Prices are reasonable. This hotel is in an area of restaurants, shopping and other shops. It takes approximately 15-20 minutes to the Oceanfront. It may take a shorter distance earlier or later in the day. In no way am I suggesting that this hotel isn't a place for some of you to stay. It will definitely come down to your level of standards. Or what your looking for in a hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Pound
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We were a long way from home and the staff couldn't have been more helpful...from directions to Walmart to places to eat. The suites are set up for people who plan to stay for an extended period of time..full size refrigerator with ice maker, two burner stove, coffee pot and all utensils needed for cooking, even dish detergent and towels. The beds were comfortable, bathroom, clean and well stocked, table/desk and chairs, lots of plug ins for make up mirrors and curling irons, phones, computers, etc. And last not but least was a comfortable lounge/recliner chair so you could lean back, relax, and watch your favorite television show. It's a great place to stay!

Room Tip: I didn't use the pool or restaurant, but it does have a tiny store in case you forgot something...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Norfolk, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed there last weekend, and have stayed many times before but not in a while. I was shocked to see that the service, was definitely not the same as my previous visits. There was no DVD in either the living room or bedroom, the bed was not bolted down, so every time I sat on the edge it lifted by the headboard. Look,My husband and I do this to get away from our 4 kids, but the room above us was having a party all night and I wished I was home with my kids it woulds have been quieter, even after I called the front desk at 12am, NO RESULTS, on top of I walked in for a room and was turned away at the front desk, and went to parking lot and called the 1 800 reservation room and received my confirmation without a problem, so what was the problem with me walking in and getting the same room?? Maybe because I wasn't in a suit in tie, Omar at the front desk doesn't need to judge a book by its cover, and maybe if Wanda the night desk clerk could stay woke long enough, she could handle nighttime discrepancys. I was really looking forward to a relaxing weekend away but after the 1st night I refused to stay the next night.

Room Tip: Choose a room on top floor so you don't have to hear any noise above you, because they won't...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Elsie C, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time and contacting Candlewood Suites regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate the time you took out of your day to bring this matter to my attention and apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the lack of customer service provided to you during your stay.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enable us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situation can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to hare your comments with us, we know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to use IHG for your future reservations.
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stay at this hotel regularly and the staff seems to always exceeds my expectations. On Sunday night, I arrived at the hotel late, without reservations in hopes of a room being available. Sara, the front desk attendant, gave me a warn welcome and assigned me a room of my preference without me asking. After I checked in, Sara called my room to make sure everything was to my satisfaction. As always, the room was extremely clean and well supplied. During this same stay, Roscoe, the maintenance man, provided me with his phone charger when I discovered I had left mine at home. Roscoe told me to take my time and allowed me to fully charge my phone and blackberry.
I highly recommend this hotel and the staff that is second to none.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Had a great stay! Thanks Wanda! Nice bathroom, nice bed, very quiet. As mentioned staff was excellent. Would stay here again. Most likely will be back on business again. Parking is good and access to the lobby is great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed here one night recently and was very pleased.The staff was very friendly ,thanked me for being a club member and gave me a 5 dollar coupon for the cupboard,very nice.Room was very clean as was whole building,AC system worked well,spotless bathroom,bed very comfortable.
Used the exercise room ,very clean and all equipment worked.Washers ,dryers free use (you pay for detergent) they worked great.I have stayed in quite a few Candlewoods in my travels and found this to be one of the cleanest and most comfortable. Rates were also reasonable,highly recommend

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Don't book through Hotels.com b/c the Candlewood Suites will play the stupid hotel vendor.

Arrived 27 September to a suite that smelled like urine in room 119. I was then directed to room 319 which had a worn carpet spot and also smelled like urine. After 5 minutes everyone was sick to their stomach. A small issue but the room came with one bath towel and upon a request for more towels one more was sent.

We checked out immediately after fleas were discovered. The desk staff said they could issue a refund b/c it was booked through Hotels.com but would would not refund any funds even though I left (2 day stay). Rather than deal with crooks I plan to sue the hotel and they can explain to a judge how they can charge a room and not provide accommodations.

This hotel appears to be occupied by homeless folks from the Salvation Army just one block away.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear NorthernVirgin1a,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Norfolk.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport? Share your experiences!