“Great deal for the money!” 5 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
“Great deal for the money!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I was VERY happy with this Candlewood Suites location. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the hotel was quiet despite being filled to capacity, the room was spotless, and the bed was comfortable. I loved that they had a small store in the lobby that had a small selection of food--including frozen foods--and other necessities. They were slightly more expensive than they would be in a store; however, they weren't a total ripoff as one might expect, and the small markup was well worth the convenience of not having having to run out to a store when we found ourselves starving after an evening trip to the beach. This hotel is a fantastic deal and we will absolutely stay here the next time we are in town!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elsie C, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review about the Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport. The convenience of our Candlewood Cupboard is wonderful to hear. The cupboard is open 24 hours and is there for all to use. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the conditions of our rooms.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great experience..staff was very friendly, the room was clean and very modern, great work out facility and convient to retailers and places to eat. We were only 20 minutes from the beach. We came in 4th of July after midnight and told the staff we needed more silverware...within 15 minutes they had brought it to our room. We heard the dog kennel across the street when we arrived. I asked for a room away from the kennel when we checked in and the staff was accommodating. We didn't hear a thing. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Just request away from the kennel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am happy to hear how your needs where met right away by the staff here at the Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport. Next time you are in the area and decide that Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport is the stop for you please ask the Front Desk Agent for one of our White Noise Machines.
Manassas, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We came for vacation and needed 2 rooms. Check in was at 3pm. We arrived at 4:35p and our rooms weren't ready. We had to beg to get rooms at least on the same floor. After a lot of begging and me being down right disgusted, the lady checking us in finally took pity and 'magically' found us rooms on the same floor. Our room smelled like dirty gym socks! But I didn't think asking for a different room would do any good since I had to wait for a room in the first place. The front desk staff explained 25 people checked out, (side note- room service isn't everyday) and there's 6 people cleaning rooms it takes them a long time and 3 hours isn't enough to do that. I was a little shocked at this answer. The room has no insulation, and you can hear people above and around you. THERE'S NO POOL! The beach is 20 minutes away. It was okay, not so sure I'd recommend it and probably would not waste my time at this location again.
*Also, BE ADVISED- there's a dog kennel/boarding place and the dogs wake you up around 7:30am.

Room Tip: This is not the hotel if your hoping for close to VA Beach Ocean front.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear LindsLuLu007,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. We would like to apologize for the issues you had at check-in and the room accommodations you received did not live up to your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Richmond, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here on short notice for a business trip. It is very much like a Residence Inn property. Had a full fridge, stove top, microwave and dishwasher. The rate was very inexpensive. It was close to a lot of stores and businesses (a block of US 13). It doesn't have a pool, or breakfast which was kind of a negative, but the staff was friendly and helpful and they have a shuttle service up to 5 miles.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back of the property face a trucking business and can be quite loud early in the mo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. And you are very right at pointing at the wonderful part of the rooms here at the Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport. Our full size fridge, two burner stove top, dishwasher and microwave. And who can forget that we also offer all your kitchen needs.
We hope to see you next time you are in the Hampton Roads area.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My parents and I had a room booked here for one night. The tripadvisor reviews had me a little apprehensive because they seemed to be a bit of a mixed bag. However, once we arrived I was very pleasantly surprised.

First thing you need to understand is that this is an extended stay hotel. The rooms are larger and have a full sized fridge, microwave, two eyed stove, and coffee maker. The rooms are only serviced once a week, which if you are only staying one night like were, is not an issue. The shower was lovely with great water pressure and a very nice mini bottle of shampoo/conditioner which was a big step up from the usual hotel offering. There were plenty of towels and they were nice and thick and good quality! The room had a flat screen TV, a nice desk area, some comfortable chairs, and plenty of room to move about. The beds were perfect but I would have liked some nicer sheets and an extra blanket would have been useful ( my parents like the room cold). I look around the room but no extra blankets tucked away anywhere. I could have called down to the desk but as my parents were sleeping I didn't want to risk waking them up.

I did not use the WIFI, workout, or laundry facilities. Because this is an extended stay hotel there is no breakfast served. However your key will let you into the commissary where you can purchase a number of different items to nuke or heat on the stove. Fresh brewed coffee, and water for tea/hot chocolate is free.

The location is near a main road so there are plenty of places to eat, a starbucks near by, as well as groceries, gas stations, and whatnot. Someone else posted that the area was a bit industrial but I would point out that the city of Norfolk itself, is industrial. The hotel isn't next to a factory or anything.

The staff were lovely. Check in time is at 3:00 p.m. but we had a wedding to attend at 5:00 p.m. in VA Beach. The staff worked hard to get us in early so we had time to freshen up and get ready which was a HUGE help after such a long drive.

The next morning as we were checking out my mom, who has trouble walking, tripped over her feet and fell. Every employee in the vicinity rushed over and helped her up again. She was okay, just embarrassed, but their honest concern was much appreciated.

This was my first stay at a Candlwood Suites but it will not be my last after this wonderful first experience.

Room Tip: We had a room near the elevator and never heard anything so have no fear.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for such a glowing review. I could not have explained a Candlewood Suites better than what you have done for us. Thank you so much for highlighting all the things that make us a Candlewood Suites.
All have read your review here at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport and are very proud.
We hope that we have created another Candlewood Suites guest.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Spent a week on business here. Pros:lots of stores and fast food nearby. Friendly and helpful staff. Good gym,barbeque grills available. Cons: Room smelled a bit musty, low end sheets, dogs at nearby kennel could be heard barking if the window was open, area around hotel is a bit industrial.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Gro M,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. I want to assure you that your comments about the undesirable smell in the room has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I love staying at this location. I stay here 2-3 times a month. Dru at the front desk is the most helpful person I've ever met from day one he has always made sure my stay at Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport has gone smooth and without a hitch whenever I have questions or concerns I know I can count on him to give me accurate information. Its really a pleasure to stay here!

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Candlewood Suites Norfolk Airport? Share your experiences!