“By the water” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“By the water”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

This hotel is by the water, hence the name. With its great location, parking is on a deck next door although valet is an option too. I think the parking was ~$12 for 24h with in/out privileges. The lobby was quite nice with an area for people to sit with their computers and free wifi. If you want wifi in your room, I think you have to pay extra. It was a bit of a hassle, but at least it was free in the lobby. The room was nice sized, and I love the mandarin and mint scented toiletries. I was able to go running in the AM by the water, which was nice. No free breakfast, but there's a restaurant in the hotel and some options nearby.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
norfolksheratonFOM, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2010
interviewtraveler-

Thank you so much for your comments! We really appreciate your kind words regarding our property and service. Our staff works hard to keep the property in great shape for all of our guest to experience as we strive to exceed all our guest expectations. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward in serving you again in the near future!

Nick Rice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

I attended a conference at this hotel. Though I had lived in Norfolk and had known of the quality reputation of businesses in the Waterside area, I was concerned about this hotel after reading some reviews here. My habit has become to ignore the most negative reviews on this site, especially if the person writing them has only one or two reviews under their belt. That's just a bit suspect. So anyway, my hotel room was well appointed and appeared to have been fairly recently decorated. It was exceedingly clean and attractive. It had a nice flatscreen tv with cable. Though they offered to let you buy internet access, I was able to connect in my room for free. There was Starbucks coffee for the coffee maker. The towels and bed linen were nice. The bathroom was beautiful. I did not hear my neighbors at all. During the night I did hear some loud folks laughing and talking in the hall, but that was the only negative. My check in was quick. There were three people working the desk. I didn't eat in the restaurant, but it did smell yummy. I was worried about the parking, as I had read it was "two blocks away." That's not exactly true. It was next door to the Sheraton, so you didn't have to cross any streets. The two buildings actually shared a courtyard area. I really have no complaints and would stay here again anytime.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Novajan-

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we are doing and for your kind comments. I am happy to hear that you decided to come see yourself regarding what service we truly have to offer. I will forward your comments regarding how much you enjoyed your room and the condition of the hotel with our housekeeping and engineering staff. I apologize for the noise inconvenience you heard from the hallway and we will review with our engineering staff on any ways to improve it. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and look forward in serving you again in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

The Sheraton Norfolk Waterside has a great location right on the waterfront. There are other hotels nearby, but this one far and away has the best location if you want to be on the water. The waterfront is walkable, with a park, a museum and the USS Wisconsin battleship nearby. And, there are plenty of restaurant options nearby. The downtown area and older neighborhoods nearby are worth exploring.

The hotel is fine cosmetically. It is a "you get what you pay for" property. An issue to consider is that the walls between rooms are "thin"; i.e., guests have no difficulty hearing what is going on in the room next door.

The fitness center is good for the hotel's price point.

In summary, great location, reasonable prices, and value in line with pricing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
mpb_atlanta-

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback about our property. While the location of the hotel is a big perk, we strive to exceed each of our guest expectations with the service we provide for each of our guest. I would really love the opportunity to follow up with you on your comment about our property and see if there are any particular areas that would help us improve. I'm glad you got to experience some of the history Norfolk has to offer during your stay with us and hope you will return soon! Thank you again for your time and comments and look forwarding in serving you again in the near future.

Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

The club lounge used to be open to more people and for longer periods. Now, you can only
get the food (breakfast and nightly snacks) if you upgrade to the floor. And, they now charge for the wine. It was too good to last. When i asked about it, i got an attitude and no concession. The rest of the hotel is nice though.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stayed in this place for a night with a colleague in a separate room. The first room I stayed in was disappointing because it had a funny smell. When i went down to ask for a change, the person at the front desk was very gracious and changed the room. The next room was even worse!- It had walls, a door, and a window, but it was completely un-soundproofed. The walls seem to be made of paper. The doors don't block noise from the neighbors, and the door to the hallway doesnt block noise from the hall. So one could hear the neighbors television, the other guests doors banging shut through the hallway, the "ding" of the elevator, the people talking in the hallway, the neighbor snoring, and much much more. And this is supposed to be a Sheraton????? The neighbor was not hearing his television at full blast.. In his room, it was probably at a reasonable volume. It's not his fault I could hear it in mine. Nor is it his fault that I could hear him caugh!!! But without any soundproofing, it was bound to happen. The decor is veritable 1970's classy. The lighting is fluorescent chic. This hotel is truly, truly awul. It not only doesnt deserve the Sheraton brand, it doesn't deserve the motel 6 brand. I would avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

We booked with their reservation line - not thru a travel sight. They allow pets in certain rooms. When I booked this with "Ryan" he said that there would be no problem with a pet in a water view room (Elizabeth River). I asked SIX times and I got the same answer because I was worried and he said there would be no problem. When we got there that evening the lady at the desk said that was untrue and that they had first floor city view rooms for pets. I told her what "Ryan" said and she said that he was not on sight and lied to me and that it was basically my fault for not knowing he didn't know what he was talking about. So I got very irritated with her and told her that the reservation dept. should not lie to the customers and that wasn't my problem and I wanted what I was promised. She said she couldn't do it. So I asked her that if I cancelled my reservation, would I be charged the one night deposit (over $175!)? Yes. I got even madder. Because it was NOT MY FAULT that their lying reservation dept. ruined our quick getaway, I had to pay for it?! She finally told me that they would not charge me - probably so that I would go away and not show other customers what liars they are. Not only that....we weren't quite sure we wanted to stay here when we noticed that there were about 15 or so young drunk people outside acting rude and obnoxious. One girl was picking a fight with just about everybody for a cigarrette, and the security was doing nothing about it. DON'T stay here! Save yourself the headache!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

When I review a hotel, I try to base it on what a reasonable traveler would expect. Thus, if you are used to traveling and having the absolute best, or you usually get a $39 a night motel, then you may find my reviews to be off base. Let us break it down by category:

Parking- Parking in the garage near the Dominion Tower was $12 a night. Valet parking provided by the hotel was $22 a night. The Dominion Tower is about two blocks away, not as far as some have tried to portray. We decided to Valet due to coming in late at night, and for my ladies sake who would be wearing high heels much of the weekend. I do agree that $22 for valet in Norfolk is ridiculous, but the valets were very friendly, professional, and you could call ahead and have your car waiting for you which was very convenient. The price almost made me not want to tip them, but I relented because they were probably college kids who were not getting any of the $22 a night that the Sheraton was charging. The valet supervisor asked how my stay was. They were great guys.

Location - The Hotel is located on the edge of downtown near the highway, but is still walking distance to MacArthur Center, Norfolk’s Fantastic Mall, Waterside Marketplace, many great fine dining establishments, Nauticus etc. The hotel is also right on the waterfront. If you want to get to Va. Beach, turn right out of the hotel and follow the signs for the highway and it is basically a straight shot. The views on the Harbor side are fantastic with great sunrises and sunsets. The Harbor has many boats going back and forth, very nice.

Rooms- The rooms are well appointed, with comfortable beds, Coffee makers and a flat screen with 1080p HD. As stated before the view was awesome. Some of the wood furniture was chipped, and there was no free internet in the room. I abosolutley had to have internet, so I had to use the Wi-Fi connection in the lobby. Hotels should not charge for internet in this day and age.

Check In- Was a breeze. This was Labor Day weekend and there were many activities in town so I expected a long wait, but it was quick and easy.

Service - Everyone was great, and went out of their way to help.

I would have given the hotel an overall all "5", but the valet was too much money with the tips that are expected, and there was no free internet in the rooms. The hotel is older than some of the others downtown, but they have done an excellent job of re-furbishing it. It was an excellent experience overall, and I would recommend the Waterside Sheraton if you are a reasonable traveler.

P.S - Go to D'Egg diner for breakfast. You won't be sorry that you did.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!