“Always An Enjoyable Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Dublin, Virginia
“Always An Enjoyable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have stayed in this hotel 4-5 times in the past several years for conferences and have enjoyed it each time. It's beginning to feel almost like a home away from home. The hotel is quite nice and in an excellent location right on the river. Not super fancy but not average run of the mill either.The lobby and common areas are lovely...the rooms are very clean, comfortable and well appointed. Great scenic view of the river on one side, the city on the other. We love the downtown location because restaurants, shopping and attractions are all just a few blocks walk away. Parking is not ideal in that you have to pay to park in a garage, but that's to be expected in a downtown hotel anywhere. The staff is always very nice. The hotel valet drove my kids to a restaurant in the middle of the night and picked them back up, as a courtesy. I have only two negative things to say about this hotel. One, the lack of free wifi throughout the hotel. In this day and age even campgrounds and the cheapest of motels have free wifi so it's very surprising this hotel does not. Two, the comforters on the beds weigh a TON. No kidding...they are freakishly heavy and a pain to deal with. Certainly not a major issue but it's something we complain about every night when we stay here. Otherwise, we really enjoy this hotel and can't wait to stay there again next year for conference.

Room Tip: Try to get a waterfront view and enjoy the scenery, although the city view is very nice at night.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
San Francisco, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have consistently stayed here for July 4 and Christmas to visit my family .... I wish Starwood had more choices in this town cause I would drop this place in a nano second
During the holidays the service is so scaled down (don't get me wrong I'm all for all sharing the season with family and friends ) but when it's as scaled back as they do the service is comprised and the customer suffers
My second complaint is I as a Platinum member was charged for several days of Internet and I'm sure I made sure I have my Platinum number at check in ,so I left a message twice with accounting and still no call back ... I'm calling manager next but should I have to go to extremes ... As a platinum member this property does NOT hold the standards others do
Even though I love my points to accrue I think Marriott just a block away is calling for my next visit
I want my refund for Internet people : /

Stayed December 2014
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for sharing your experience. We deeply regret we did not meet your expectations on every level during your last visit. Our goal is to provide the highest level of customer service to all of our guests and your feedback will be shared with the team. We regret any delay in reaching out to you to discuss your concerns. We are happy to assist you with any billing questions. Kindly contact us at 757-622-6664. It’s our hope to welcome you back so we may regain your trust and confidence in us.
Hope Mills, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have a family of six so whenever we stay in hotels we have to have two rooms. To start off with we had to valet park because with six people there is no way we are going to walk all that way with that much luggage. That cost us some money. If you would like wifi that is going to cost you as well. There is no free breakfast so we went to IHOP for breakfast in the morning. However, they do serve breakfast. The woman that checked us in was absolutely great. She was nice and friendly and answered all of our questions. We checked in on Friday December 26th so who ever that was that checked us in, thank you for being such a great host (sorry I didn't remember you name).

The lobby was absolutely beautiful with the Christmas decorations. We got two rooms and we a little disappointed that the rooms were not connected. However, both rooms were connected to someone's room. So every time we wanted to check on our children we had to leave our room to do so.

The rooms were a bit outdated and needed a little work but the beds were very neatly made and looked fresh. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable. We were on the 8th floor with a waterside view and it was great. However, you do have to get out of the bed to see the view.

If you are there to see the sites like we were it is a great place. the battleship USS Wisconsin is just a little walk down the street and you can also tour the ship. The Spirit of Norfolk is also down the street and you can take a midday or dinner cruise around the harbor. The Norfolk Naval Station is also not that far away and you can do a guided tour of the naval station for a small fee and even take a few pictures in designated areas. There is a place right next door with a few restaurants inside and Joe's Crab Shack and Hooters are just two of them. We did eat at Joe's and it was very good.

All in all I would stay here again if I were in the area to do a little sightseeing but not for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the waterside view it is absolutely gorgeous. I don't know what the other si...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
It was delightful to welcome you and your family during your holiday getaway to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. We’re glad you enjoyed a number of aspects of your stay in our hotel including our friendly staff, great views and clean accommodations. We love knowing how our guests spend their time while visiting us, and it certainly sounds like your family had some great sightseeing. Thanks for your wonderful photos, too. It’s our hope to welcome your family again in the future.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My family and I had a really nice time here. We told the staff it was our first time in Norfolk and they gave us a room with a beautiful view. We ate dinner in the dockside restaurant and service and food were both good. There's a nice mall in walking distance but it was very chilly on the morning we wanted to go so we asked about a ride and the valets took us in the airport shuttle. The only downside is that you have to pay separately for some services (parking, fridge, breakfast) but I have the same experience whenever I stay downtown in a nicer hotel. Definitely check it out.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thanks so much for your glowing review of Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel! It was our pleasure to welcome you and your family for your first time in our beautiful city. We understand your concern regarding the cost of different services. We are committed to keeping our room rates as low as possible, and then allow guests to choose which services they feel they need while staying with us. Thanks for your kind words and recommendation, and we hope to see you again in the future.
Klein, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Waterside room facing river the best (balcony). Outstanding service thanks to Kristen. Lots holiday lights. Walk along waterside park really nice. Dinner cruise, naval museum and BB-64 (Wisconsin) also within walking distance. Downtown majestic views across the street. Cost very reasonable too.

• Stayed December 2014
What a wonderful review of your holiday stay with Sheraton Norfolk, thank you! We love knowing how satisfied you were at our hotel, and all of the local activities you enjoyed. We’re glad you feel our hotel was a good value, too. It’s our hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back again soon.
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014

As longstanding Starwood members, my husband and I always try to stay at Westins (preferably) or Sheratons. In this case, it was a big mistake. We stayed at the Sheraton Norfolk several years ago and enjoyed it. This time, it was horrid. Obviously, little maintenance has been done in the past several years. It must not be a company-owned property.

The room was dreary and shabby. The hinges on the bathroom door were even rusty, which made the bathroom seem unclean. The lounge chair had a huge stain on it and our bedspread was torn.

If you make the mistake of staying there, beware of taking the "complimentary" bottled water that is set out with a card hanging around its neck stating that it is complimentary. We foolishly assumed that both bottles were free. Not so! We were charged $2.65 for the 2nd bottle, an exorbitant amount. It is not the charge that annoys me. It is the principle of the thing. I resent being tricked into purchasing a bottle of water for $2.65. They must be desperate for money.

We didnt find out about the additional charge after we checked out, or we would have refused to pay it. The charge just appeared on our credit card bill a month or two later. We called Starwood 3 times and were told that the charge would be refunded but that the hotel in question had to process it. They never did. Nor did they call us, as promised. We have tried for months to resolve this matter and have given up. Their customer service is abysmal, as is the whole hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for providing such detailed feedback from your recent visit. We’re truly disappointed to read about your frustration and disappointment. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the housekeeping issues you encountered in your guestroom, and if you were surprised by the cost of any additional items during your stay. It’s clear we missed the chance to make your stay a satisfying one, and we hope to welcome you back one day to give you the stay you deserve.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2014

The Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel was lovely, but a little worn around the edges. The hotel is beautiful and the views were nice on the water side. The positives:The bed was clean. The crisp white duvet and white cotton sheets were very comfortable. The bed slept well. The dining room/bar was appealing. The breakfast buffet (about $10) was excellent and the waitress was wonderfully attentive.

The cons: The internet was not complimentary. Neither was breakfast. The hallway needed sweeping for the entire 3-days of my visit.

The stay was average and adequate, but could have been so much better with free internet, continental breakfast and a little better housekeeping in the hallways.

Room Tip: Ask for water-side for the better views.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re happy and grateful you found so many positives during your time here including your comfortable bed, excellent breakfast and our harbor views. Please accept our apologies if your hallway wasn’t as clean as it should have been. We understand your concerns regarding the cost of internet and breakfast. Guests may utilize the free internet offered in our lobby. We strive to keep our room rates as low as possible, and provide options for our guests to choose which services and amenities they need and would like to use. There are also a number of hotel packages on our website which include breakfast and/or internet at a savings when purchased in advance. We hope to welcome you back to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside again soon!

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!