“Great location, comfortable rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Great location, comfortable rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed here for the location, as it is conveniently close to places of interest in Norfolk and the house of my niece where we had a mini-family reunion. We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the rooms and the comfortable beds. We visit Norfolk often to visit family and I will certainly come back again. We loved the nice walking path by the river; it was only a few blocks to MacArthur shopping mall and to the Nauticus naval museum and many other places.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
We are very pleased to know that we have gained your loyalty. Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. It was certainly our pleasure to accommodate you and we are glad that our location worked out so well for your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in our area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Gordonsville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We lucked out and had a BEAUTIFUL corner room on the 9th floor with a water view from two sides. I am realizing more and more how important the room is -- I would have been miserable with a first floor view of an alley. But! As it was, the hotel is large and clean with an adequate restaurant and plenty of other restaurants in easy walking distance (a couple city blocks). The MacArthur center, a shopping mall, is also within easy walking distance. Waterside Norfolk, sadly, is fairly dead, which is too bad because they are trying very hard to make it a vital, happening place.
We were there for a conference and so paid government rate -- $89 a night. There is a cute little ferry that goes back and forth between Norfolk and Portsmouth -- went over there for dinner at the marina. That was a nice little trip. So, good value for our money -- wouldn't stay here is I had to pay full price.

Room Tip: Gotta get a water view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
As you mentioned, we are conveniently located near the MacArthur Center and many exciting attractions in Norfolk. We are happy to know that you enjoyed so many aspects of our property including our waterfront accommodations and convenient location to the ferry. We are always offering hotel deals online and we hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The room I booked was 175/night and had a "view of the Elizabeth river" - however when I arrived, my view was of the noisy back concrete area and pool :/. This room should not be included in that description. Want to know what else isn't included? Everything! The WIFI was $10.00 for 24 hrs per device! Parking was $13.00 to self park over a block away, $24 for valet (the valet was very quick and friendly). There also wasn't a free breakfast. I paid $15 for a continental style buffet, that had omelet creation as the only real bonus/difference to what you'd expect from continental. The location was basic, sure it was on the water (not like I could tell) - but if something isn't going on at the next door convention center, you're just at a somewhat bad end of Norfolk. At night I walked to a restaurant and did not feel safe at all. Dark streets and shady people sums up my experience with that!

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience. It is regrettable to learn that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations in every way. Caring for our guests is certainly our number one priority and we regret that we missed several opportunities to convey that during your stay. Keep in mind that complimentary wireless Internet is always available in our lobby. If we have the opportunity to welcome you back, you may find that our Club Level guest rooms are a better fit for your needs. These upgraded accommodations include a harbor-view room, complimentary breakfast, upgraded bath amenities and more. We hope we'll have the opportunity to impress you during a future visit.
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We were in town for the 28th annual SOFT USA conference and the Sheraton could not have made us more welcome all the staff were wearing SOFT T-shirts (which the management purchased especially), they wrote all our kids names on the stars on the steps leading into the hotel which was so cool. The room was great very comfortable the conference meals were great and we enjoyed staying here very much.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
It was a true honor to welcome you to our hotel for the 28th annual SOFT conference. Thank you for taking the time to share your glowing remarks regarding your experience with us. Our main priority was to exceed your expectations and ensure your time with us was memorable in every way. Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope we'll have the chance to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel sometime in the near future.
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Stayed here for a concert at NTelos...The ferry that takes you to Portsmouth is located right next door to the hotel. The Sheraton is dated and the furniture in the room looks like it has taken a beating. They charge you $12 to self park or $24 to valet...per day. Wifi is an additional $10/day. The housekeeping staff decided to catch up with each other outside of our paper thin door at 7am and when asked to be quiet, they continued to stand there and talk to each other. Overall, it was a very noisy hotel. If it wasn't so close to the concert, I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
While we appreciate you choosing our hotel for your stay here in Norfolk, we deeply regret to learn of the inconveniences that you encountered. All guest feedback is highly valued and we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. We offer our sincere apologies for the noise disruptions that you encountered by our housekeeping department and appreciate you alerting us to your experience. We hope you will reconsider and allow us another opportunity to welcome you back.
Knotts Island, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

At this hotel for a High School Reunion for a two night stay. Traffic jam at front door and long wait at check-in also a $24. night valet park with self park a good bit away. Room was nice but beginning to show age. The bed linens and towels were wonderful and the room very clean and in place. The wifi is another $10. for 24 hrs. Food in restaurants was ok, just nothing to write home about. Overall a good stay but have stayed in much better at a lowers price with more amenities for the guests.

Room Tip: Ask for harbor side room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
While we are glad that our accommodations and Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed met your expectations, we regret that we were not able to impress you in every way. We hope you'll accept our apologies for the inconveniences you encountered. Keep in mind that complimentary Internet is always available for our guests in our lobby. It was a true pleasure to accommodate you for your high school reunion and we hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Hickory, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed for one night with my son. I am a Platinum Preferred with Starwood and was upgraded to a 2 room suite. When I pulled up to hotel there was a traffic jam at the front door and I had to circle around parking lot twice before I could find a spot to park and check in. Valet informed me I could valet park for $24 a night or I could self park for $12 a night. He pointed to where we self park and it was 2 buildings away from hotel where I would estimate at least 200 yards away. I decided to valet. Lobby is clean but dated, I am sure this was a great hotel in the eighties. Room was fine but furnishings were worn and it was more just a large room poorly furnished. Ordered room service and had requested extra bleu chees dressing with my son's order of chicken wings. After food was brought we realized there was no dressing, let alone extra as I had requested. I called back to room service and it literally was 15 minutes before someone answered the phone. About 30 minutes after they brought food we finally got dressing.I was going to sleep on sleeper but there was no linen on mattress and we could not find any extra sheets or pillows anywhere in the room. After seeing how hard it was just to get a side of bleu cheese dressing I decided it wasn't worth the trouble to call down to get linens so I took some pillows and a sheet off the king bed and slept on sofa. The front desk told me at check in that they had also given me access to the club level on my key card to go to the lounge. When we tried the card in elevator it did not work. The next morning we were wanting to go up to club lounge to get a quick breakfast so I went down to front desk to get my card fixed. Of course when I got in elevator the card still did not work so we just called valet and decided to get out of there. One final complaint was if a hotel charges $10 for internet it should be faster than what it was here. This hotel is an OK place to stay if you get a cheap rate and you need to stay in middle of Norfolk but if you are flexible I would recommend staying at Virginia Beach Westin about 8 miles away. I rarely give negative reviews and am very loyal to Starwood but this hotel is not up to their standards.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
We truly appreciate your loyalty in the SPG program and we are grateful for the level of detail that you've provided in your review. Our guests' satisfaction is our number one priority so we are disheartened to learn that we did not live up to your expectations in every way. Please accept our sincere apologies for the length of time you waited for our room service and for the difficulties that you encountered with your key card. Reviews such as yours let us know how we are doing and where we can improve and we appreciate that you've taken the time to address your concerns. As a loyal guest to Starwood, we hope you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you again.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!