“Great Hotel, Nice Upgrade” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #16 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Athens, Georgia
“Great Hotel, Nice Upgrade”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel was very nice. Right on the water. We ended up getting an upgrade to a corner room with a partial (nearly full) water view. Bed was comfortable, room was clean. It lacked a fridge or microwave and the balcony overlooking downtown Norfolk was quite loud due to the street noise. Room service was pricey, but overall a great stay. Parking is either valet (right in front of the hotel) or self park which is a good little distance from the hotel. Guess that is the cost of being on the water. Priceline was the way to go on this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
We're delighted that you enjoyed your upgrade and views of the water. Keep in mind that a refrigerator and microwave is available upon request. We do regret any inconveniences with room service and we will keep your feedback in mind. If you'll be traveling back to our area, we hope you'll choose to stay with us again at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

505 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was in the area for a weekend conference in Portsmith. I stay at the Norfolk Sheraton because the hotel allowed small dogs. The commute between the Marriott in Portsmith and the Norfolk Sheraton was a cinch via the water taxi ($1.50 each way). I arrived at the Sheraton late and I was tired. The front desk clerk greeted me with a smile and a friendly hello. The check in process was very fast and efficient. I had a room with a king size bed facing the water. The room was large, comfy and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The gym is small but well equipped. The restaurant serves a nice buffet for breakfast on the weekends. The wait staff, the host and the woman making the waffles and omelets were all very friendly. They worked well as a team making sure everyone was taken care of from the time you arrived to the time you left. The breakfast food was tasty for a buffet and very affordable. After my breakfast on Saturday, I was already looking forward to eating there again on Sunday morning. When I returned to my room after breakfast on Saturday, the room attended greeted me and asked if I needed any special when she cleaned the room. That was a nice touch! The hotel is close to a lot of attractions. The parking garage is about a 3 minute walk away from the hotel, but close enough. I truly enjoyed my stay and thank the employees at this hotel for making my time away from home a little nicer.

Room Tip: I highly recommend a room with a view of the water.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
We truly appreciate your kind review of our Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. It was a pleasure to welcome you to our pet-friendly hotel for your weekend conference and we're glad that our convenient location to the water taxi worked out so well for your travel. We will certainly pass along your lovely words to our staff. Thank you for sharing and we hope you will visit with us again soon.
Hampstead, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This was my first trip to Norfolk and decided to book a hotel near my nephew's condo. Location was perfect- close to a nice mall, beautiful view of the river and a river walk - had a great visit. The gym was small but had adequate equipment. Bedding, (especially those pillows), was inviting. Small "balcony" off the room was nice to get some fresh air. Parking was a bit strange- valet parking was around $22 per night; garage was available for a moderate fee but was a few blocks away. Biggest complaint was the walls were super thin! Heard the man in the room next to me blowing his nose - I thought someone was in my bathroom- that's how loud it was. Otherwise a nice property!

Stayed January 2014
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We are happy that we were able to accommodate you during your first trip in Norfolk. Thank you for sharing your impressions and honest comments regarding our fitness center, parking and accommodations. We are sorry to learn of the issues that you encountered during your stay and regret any frustrations due to noise disruptions from other guests. It was truly a pleasure to accommodate you and we are pleased to learn that our location worked out so perfectly for your trip. The next time you are in our area, we hope you'll choose the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel again.
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

The room is clean but everything else is a giant pain. First, the wifi wasn't working and it took about half an hour before they could give me a code that finally worked. They offered to let me use their computers but since I was here for business and not to do internet searches for restaurants, that wasn't a help. Second, as other commenters have noted, the walls are paper thin. Third, the water was lukewarm. It was lukewarm when I washed my face at night and lukewarm in the morning. Had to take a lukewarm shower. Then, the cleaning woman knocked at my door at 8 am wanting to know when I would be leaving. Really?!? I was awake, but I might well have still been asleep and it's now ok to wake me up to let you know if I might be out before my checkout time?!?!? You need to assume I am out at noon unless I give you my key earlier!! Not even remotely up to the Sheraton standards and I'm a gold Starwoods member. Not happy!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
At our hotel we always strive to offer exceptional levels of service. It is disappointing to know that your stay did not reflect our usual high standards and we would like to take this opportunity to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. As an SPG Gold member and valued guest, we regret your disappointment with our services and are sharing your comments with the appropriate departments for further review. On behalf of our housekeeping department, we hope you'll accept our heartfelt apologies. We understand your frustration and would like to assure you that your review is being forwarded to the head of our housekeeping department so this experience may be avoided in the future. Thank you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We arrived late in the evening on New Years Day and called when we were about an hour away to confirm and ask for a restaurant recommendation. Shawn was so pleasant and offered to make some calls for us to see what was opened. We arrived and he sent us to a great restaurant, 456 something. We had two adjoining rooms and they were spacious, clean and very comfortable. Would highly recommend. Great view by the way.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for sharing your holiday visit with us. It was a pleasure to welcome you on New Years Day and we're happy that our staff was able to help find the perfect restaurant for your dining experience here in Norfolk. We believe that our staff introduced you to 456 Fish; a wonderful restaurant just minutes from us in downtown Norfolk. We hope you'll visit with us again soon at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel is week kept up, clean, and in a great location. I especially want to point out how friendly and helpful the staff is. The restaurant is good but a tad overpriced. The average rating on this review is primarily to point out how broken the Sheraton central reservation system is. Sheraton Norfolk has a special allowing pets, which central reservation knew nothing about and basically ignored our pet request. We thought we would be on the 8th floor but on arriving found out pets are only on 2nd and 3rd floors which don't have as large windows.Sheraton Norfolk had to completely rebook our reservation because the Central system knows nothing about their own hotels. Finally, the website links could use some updating: clicking on additional links on descriptive pages takes you to the Starwood site, regardless of what the link indicates.

Stayed December 2013
First, we'd like to thank you for your kind remarks regarding our property and staff. While we appreciate your valuable feedback, it is disappointing to know that you encountered difficulties with your reservation and we apologize if you were misinformed regarding our pet policy. We will be sharing your comments with the appropriate department heads to ensure better service in the future. While we understand your frustrations, we hope you won't let these concerns discourage you from booking with us again.
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Comfortable bed and good location. But we were very surprised to find no minibar even though we had the "wet bar suite"! Staff did not think that was strange. (We had an empty fridge!) Breakfast was expensive and consisted of half a plate of re-fried leftover potatoes! My laundry was not collected so we missed out on that too. Staff did not seem to care. Facilities were tired and after room was cleaned dirty glass left on table and chairs left messy. Just lack of attention to detail symptomatic of a poorly run hotel. Not Sheraton standard.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
It is truly regrettable to learn that your experience was not up to the standards that you have come to expect from the Sheraton brand. While we appreciate your honest remarks, we are disheartened to know that we were unable to meet your expectations on several occasions throughout your stay. We are committed to achieving our guests' complete satisfaction and highly value your constructive comments. Please be assured that we will be using your review as a training opportunity. As we make the necessary improvements, we hope you'll consider visiting with us again.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!