“Just Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Nice enough hotel that could use a facelift. Rooms are a little small and the bathrooms are very small. Parking is not especially convenient as it is in another building and is $8 per night (if you have your ticket stamped by the hotel.) Good view of the waterfront. Nothing especially bad about the hotel but then nothing especially outstanding either.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
While we are discouraged to learn that you did not receive an outstanding visit in all areas, we are grateful for your honest remarks. It is our goal to provide each of our guests with an exceptional experience at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel and we will use your review as motivation to keep improving our property. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I, along with another couple stayed here for 2 nights 8/18/13 - 8/20/13. I must say that this was my second stay at this property, and I have to admit that the both times were great. The only couple of downfalls that I could think of were that our room this time was rather small and our tv did not have all the channels that were listed on the guide, However, the engineer that came up to check out the tv apologized for not being able to get the tv working and offered us breakfast at City Dock. Now, I have to say that the breakfast and the view were amazing from City Dock. The drinks we had their the night before did not disappoint. The biggest disappointment to me is the parking situation. I think that having to park in a garage that is so far away is not safe for the guests. I believe that this is something that needs to be looked into.Now my dog LOVED the bed that was provided to him. I have a small dog and they give you a doggie package when you check in with your pet. They also do not charge a pet fee which I REALLY LOVED!!!! I would also like to thank Crystal Thompson for answering all of my questions upon checkout, and our engineer that came to the room to fix the cable. All in all we had a wonderful time and all of the associates were friendly and eager to assist. We will definitely come back, we just have to find somewhere else to park!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We are always happy to hear from our return guests and truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us again for your Norfolk visit. We would like to take this moment to apologize if any areas of your stay fell short of your expectations or if you felt you did not receive the same high quality service as before. We never want our valued guests to endure inconveniences and hope you'll keep in mind that valet parking is always available. Thank you for recognizing our staff's efforts to make your romantic getaway so memorable. We will pass along your kind remarks to our engineer and front desk staff and we look forward to your return to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Had a fabulous time in a lovely, sparkling clean, well-appointed room overlooking the harbor. The staff were attentive, polite, and considerate. The bed and bedding were superior. The hotel is perfectly located for the river walk and to Granby Street entertainments. We ate dinner both evenings in the hotel because it was raining. What a delicious surprise! It was served nicely and tasted great. The prices were competitive with the menus we saw in town. So why not? Not worth slogging through the rain to go elsewhere. Good decision.

Another good decision was staying in Norfolk and not in Virginia Beach, where I went swimming before checking in. The ride is only 20 minutes, but VA Beach is a downscale resort. We were much happier in Norfolk, where we did museums, the Naval Base Tour, city festivals in the park, sidewalk cafes, and upscale shopping.

We would definitely return here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Despite the inclement weather, you truly made the most out of your Norfolk visit and we always love to hear that! Thank you for dining with us at our City Dock Restaurant and for sharing your impressions. Since we continually strive to offer the highest quality ingredients at the best possible value, we appreciate your encouraging feedback regarding our menu. As you mentioned, we are only a few miles from Virginia Beach. We are delighted that our location worked out well for your stay and that you were able to enjoy the best attractions in both cities. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back and we look forward to your return visit.
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My experience at the Sheraton Waterside in Norfolk was very positive. The staff was very attentive, helpful, and friendly. The rooms were exceptionally clean and well maintained. The view of the river from my room was wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit the Norfolk area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your lovely description of your time at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. Your warm remarks regarding our friendly and attentive staff will be passed along to our team so they can be recognized for their efforts. We are thankful for your recommendation and hope you'll visit with us the next time you are in the Norfolk area.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a family reunion and I was not too pleased with my stay. For the cost of the hotel I would expect to have free wifi which was not the case. Once we paid for the wifi i then try to hook up the xbox and cannot do it. The maintenance man comes and then tells me that you cannot hook up the xbox to the Internet which is crazy. I cancelled the service and supposedly was not going to be charged for the wifi but looking at my bill i was. The valet parking is $22 and the self parking is $12 both of which I couldn't believe. I have stayed at cheaper places and have had a better experience. The one good thing is that the staff is really friendly and nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
We appreciate you sharing your experience at our hotel though regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations during your visit with us. We apologize for any difficulties with our Internet and trust that our staff was able to rectify the extra charge to your bill. We truly appreciate you sharing your experience regarding the customer service that you received, as we feel our staff is our biggest asset. Your feedback gives us the ability to improve for our future guests and for that, we thank you.
Durham, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The Hotel room we had was very clean and neat. Everything worked in the room. I, like many other reviewers did not like the fact of having to pay for WiFi( and did not). I think the Sheraton really need to address this issue of no Wi Fi , because it is mentioned in about evey post. Now adays guests like to have the luxury of having their laptop to use in their room and not the LOBBY! Sheraton, get with the program and offer this to your guest, you won't lose that much $$$$! Over all pretty good stay...food at the reunion was not that good, but that was not the faullt of the Sheraton, they prepared what was ordered for our reunion. Also room did not have enough towels, and a staff member brought them to the room pronto!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for spending your family reunion at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. It is never our intention for guests to endure inconveniences while with us and we appreciate your perspective regarding our Internet. Your valuable remarks will be taken into consideration as we continue to improve the quality of our services. Thank you.
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

For what is sold as a 4 star hotel, it leaves much to be desired. Perhaps 2.5 to 3 stars

The Wi-Fi costs $9.95 per day, and is SLOWER than many dial-up connections. The room was loud, very cold,and the toilet did not flush properly. On the positive side, the staff is very friendly and location is great for convenience of being downtown.

I recognize it is on the water, but even my canal view room had issues. I hope they either make some major upgrades or change the misleading way they market their hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
We are grateful for your feedback and want to thank you for taking the time to share your perspective of our services and accommodations. We never like to read when a guest leaves our hotel feeling disappointed in their stay. I have taken note of your concern regarding our Internet and would like to remind you that complimentary Internet is always available in our lobby. We hope you'll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!