“Good location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
New Jersery
“Good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We got this hotel on priceline when we named our own price. We booked this because we were going to the Outerbanks and wanted to break up the long car ride. We got to the hotel late at night and there was a long line at check in. The hotel was very crowded which I felt was a little weird on a random Friday night but it turned out there was some kind of race that took place at the hotel the next morning. There was one person checking in people and I thought that was crazy too when there was probably ten or more people trying to check in. Finally they brought someone over to help her and she was not friendly or nice. I had requested 2 queen beds since we had our 2 kids with us and she said "no". I told her that it was 4 of us, surely there has to be a cot or another room with a pull out couch something. "NO". I said there was nothing you could do and she said no again (with a crazy dirty look). We got a room with a private balcony overlooking the water which was very nice. The room was clean and the bed was large if there was not 4 people in the bed. The parking was $11 a day if you stay over. The area was very pretty and there was several restaurants within walking distance. The next day because of the race most of the roads were shut down due to the rerouting traffic. The pool was closed and we didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel so besides the unfriendly un helpful staff at the front desk it was an ok hotel. Typical large chain hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We'd like to begin by extending our apologies for the length of time you waited to check-in. As you mentioned, we were almost at full capacity due to the event and greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. Regarding your room, we deeply regret that our staff was unable to provide the ideal accommodations for you and your family. We hope any inconveniences you experienced were minimal. Thank you for sharing your review and we hope you'll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back again.

500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Moneta, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I booked this hotel because of a music teachers' state convention being held there. It was nice to have my family be able to come along. I was very pleased with the meeting rooms and the excellent piano in the Monticello room. The staff was wonderful and friendly when I needed to make last minute arrangements to bring my dog along. The facilities were very clean and well kept. The reception was exquisite. My husband and son enjoyed being able to see the sights of the harbor and be able to walk downtown or to the Nauticus and Battleship Wisconsin or to take a 2 hour cruise on the American Rover masted sailing ship or Victory Rover tour and see the navel ships while I was in meetings. There was a Family Friday event just beside the Waterside, which was right beside the hotel and had several places to eat. We ordered take out from Outback and sat in the nearby park watching my son and other kids play in the water sprayers and bouncers while enjoying the music on the dock of the bay and watching the sunset. It was the most RELAXING evening I've had in a very long time. That night after we enjoyed a concert at the hotel, the cozy, plush bedding was superb for falling asleep. I awoke around 4 a.m. to my dog seeming a little anxious. Little did I know until I walked outside that there was a vicious thunderstorm going on. I could not hear it inside my room, and I could not hear any other sounds from neighboring rooms. I awoke very RELAXED the next morning and had a homemade omelette along with the awesome breakfast buffet the next morning. It was a little expensive for breakfast, but worth not having to walk to another restaurant in the rain. The only thing I did not like about my stay is having to pay for parking, but the hotel validated the parking garage receipt, and I was able to get a discount, which was very nice. After a late check out, my family drove to VA Beach, which was only about 15 minutes away, and enjoyed another RELAXING afternoon together. We were all very pleased with our RELAXING stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We are truly delighted to learn that you enjoyed such a relaxing stay from beginning to end. The level of detail that you've shared is truly appreciated, as it's always nice to learn about our guests' time with us. It was our pleasure to accommodate you and your family during the convention and I'd like to extend my gratitude to you for sharing your favorable review of the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. The next time you are in the area, we hope you'll choose to stay with us again. And, of course, your four-legged companion is always welcome back, too.
Fredericksburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We just spent two nights at this Sheraton property. Had a great rate as part of the Virginia Federation of Music Clubs Annual Convention. The staff was terrific. They upgraded our room to Club Level and Harbor view, possibly due to Gold Member SPG status or possibly because of my husband's physical limitations. Regardless, the stay was good. We made use of room service (prompt, reasonably priced and friendly), the Club Lounge (adequate for breakfast and with helpful staff), convention facilities (adequate, lovely facilities), dining and lounge (great staff and reasonably priced offerings), We plan to return to the area soon, mainly due to the great attention of everyone we interacted with.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We're truly pleased that you enjoyed your stay on our Club Level floor and we're glad that our staff was able to provide the perfect accommodations to ensure the best experience. Thank you for sharing your impressions with us and we look forward to your return to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were in Norfolk to attend the Virginia Arts festival, and stayed two nights at the Sheraton.
It was what you expect a big chain hotel to be; functional, clean, comfortable...so we weren't disappointed.
Having paid extra for a Club floor room, the Club lounge was a bit of a letdown. It's on the harbour side but really has no view. There are no big picture windows and the concrete balcony blocks any view of the water once you sit down. The hor d'oevres were a bit so-so, but the complimentary breakfast was better than expected.
$$$ for internet connection in the room, not good enough for a major hotel.
Location is right on the harbourside, but it feels a little isolated and doesn't take best advantage of the water views.
All in all a pleasant and satisfactory stay.

Room Tip: rooms on the harbourside are preferred...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We’re truly appreciative of your detailed review and we thank you for making us a part of your Virginia Arts Festival experience. We are pleased to learn that we were able to meet your expectations in most areas of your stay and we hope any inconveniences that you experienced in our Club Lounge were minimal. Thank you for sharing your impressions of your experience at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. We hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back again.
Richmond VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I received an email offer from Virginia Opera concerning a promotion for its production of Carousel stating a rate of $89.00 per night, including breakfast, at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside. When I called the hotel directly I was transferred to the Starwood central reservation system and they were totally unaware of this promotion. After spending the better part of an afternoon calling the opera's office and the hotel I finally received a call from the sales department at the hotel and we were able to secure a room at the advertised rate. After the performance my wife verified that we were entitled to breakfast. However the next morning the receptionist in the restaurant was unable to do so. Finally, I went to the front desk and they were able to confirm that we were so entitled and handed us two coupons.
On the positive side, we did receive the waterfront room I had been promised and the people at the front desk were helpful

Room Tip: I would suggest that valet parking is probably worth the extra charge since self parking is in a ga...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties that you encountered while booking with us. We greatly appreciate you providing your feedback regarding the challenges that you experienced and we’re pleased to learn that our staff was able to resolve the issue. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope we’ll have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
aydlett, n.c.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying, I spent 26 years in the Army and as you can imagine i've traveled all over the world; and one thing I belived I could count on was that Sheraton was a quality product that the service was always beyond reproach and that the facilities were always excellent. With alll this said, here is my review... I planned a wonderful weekend for my wife's birthday..It was visit Norfolk week so thought I would book me a nice little getaway in Norfolk. I booked online and it was a simple and easy process. I was taking my wife on a dinner cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk at 1530, so I checked in at the Sheraton to see if I could get in early, at about 1400, the front desk person was pleasant and told me that I could not check in yet but that my room would be more than ready by the time I got back at 1800 to 1830 that night, great we will be back... we came back at 1825 and the room was ready and check in was peasant and easy.. we make it up to the room and the room is beautiful, the sheraton itself is in a great location on the Norfolk waterfront; my wife says to me while I'm brining the luggage into the room, Honey"I don't think they cleaned the bathroom"... of course being optimistic I said, of couse they did how can you tell? Well all the towels were thrown in the floor, the trashcan was not emptied and the tell tale toilet paper was not folded into a tip, afetr inspecting the bathroom, I agreed with her, the bathroom had not been cleaned. She called down to the front desk, they said they would take care of it if I wanted to stay in the room...I said sure, they said someone would be up in ten minutes.... We waited for 34 minutes before going to the front desk to find out what was going on, They said someone was probably up at the room as we were at the front desk, so I stayed in the lobby as my wife went to check, no one was there, as you can imagine my wife was not very happy, the whole reason for staying at the Sheraton was to make special birthday memories for my wife. The lack of promt customer service and getting the runaround in general has left a bad taste in my mouth for this particular Sheraton. The location is great, the facilities are beautiful, but unlike most of the countless other Sheratons that I've stayed in; this location did not exceed my expectations, it was the first average rating I've given to any Sheraton...........Happy Travels!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
As a seasoned traveler, we'd first like to extend our heartfelt appreciation for your loyalty in the Sheraton brand. We are truly grateful for your detailed and thorough review of your visit and deeply apologize for any inconveniences that you and your wife experienced while with us. We are honored that you chose the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel for your wife's birthday getaway and regret if we did not live up to the high standards that you've come to expect from the Sheraton brand. Please rest assured that your comments regarding the condition of your bathroom are being immediately shared with the head of our housekeeping department. The next time you are in the area, we hope you'll book with us again so we may have the opportunity to provide you with the 5-star stay you both deserve. Thank you.
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have just returned from our weekend holiday in Norfolk VA, and stayed at the Sheraton. It was conveniently placed on the attractive Waterside area, within walking distance from the baseball stadium, restaurants, museums (especially the Naval Museum and USS Wisconsin) and park areas. We took our two dogs with us having read it was dog friendly, and it did not let us down. Walked the dogs on the Waterfront and there's a lovely little park nearby where you can buy snacks etc, and they even give you dog water bowls. The hotel staff were very friendly and made our visit an enjoyable experience. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We're glad that you and your four-legged companions had the opportunity to experience all of the excitement along the waterfront. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel for your weekend getaway in Norfolk. It's wonderful to read how pleased you were with our location. It seems like you truly made the most out of your visit here and we hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back again. Thank you.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!