“Great location” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Fredericksburg
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We just spent two nights at this Sheraton property. Had a great rate as part of the Virginia Federation of Music Clubs Annual Convention. The staff was terrific. They upgraded our room to Club Level and Harbor view, possibly due to Gold Member SPG status or possibly because of my husband's physical limitations. Regardless, the stay was good. We made use of room service (prompt, reasonably priced and friendly), the Club Lounge (adequate for breakfast and with helpful staff), convention facilities (adequate, lovely facilities), dining and lounge (great staff and reasonably priced offerings), We plan to return to the area soon, mainly due to the great attention of everyone we interacted with.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We're truly pleased that you enjoyed your stay on our Club Level floor and we're glad that our staff was able to provide the perfect accommodations to ensure the best experience. Thank you for sharing your impressions with us and we look forward to your return to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We were in Norfolk to attend the Virginia Arts festival, and stayed two nights at the Sheraton.
It was what you expect a big chain hotel to be; functional, clean, comfortable...so we weren't disappointed.
Having paid extra for a Club floor room, the Club lounge was a bit of a letdown. It's on the harbour side but really has no view. There are no big picture windows and the concrete balcony blocks any view of the water once you sit down. The hor d'oevres were a bit so-so, but the complimentary breakfast was better than expected.
$$$ for internet connection in the room, not good enough for a major hotel.
Location is right on the harbourside, but it feels a little isolated and doesn't take best advantage of the water views.
All in all a pleasant and satisfactory stay.

Room Tip: rooms on the harbourside are preferred...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We’re truly appreciative of your detailed review and we thank you for making us a part of your Virginia Arts Festival experience. We are pleased to learn that we were able to meet your expectations in most areas of your stay and we hope any inconveniences that you experienced in our Club Lounge were minimal. Thank you for sharing your impressions of your experience at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. We hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back again.
Richmond VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I received an email offer from Virginia Opera concerning a promotion for its production of Carousel stating a rate of $89.00 per night, including breakfast, at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside. When I called the hotel directly I was transferred to the Starwood central reservation system and they were totally unaware of this promotion. After spending the better part of an afternoon calling the opera's office and the hotel I finally received a call from the sales department at the hotel and we were able to secure a room at the advertised rate. After the performance my wife verified that we were entitled to breakfast. However the next morning the receptionist in the restaurant was unable to do so. Finally, I went to the front desk and they were able to confirm that we were so entitled and handed us two coupons.
On the positive side, we did receive the waterfront room I had been promised and the people at the front desk were helpful

Room Tip: I would suggest that valet parking is probably worth the extra charge since self parking is in a ga...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences or difficulties that you encountered while booking with us. We greatly appreciate you providing your feedback regarding the challenges that you experienced and we’re pleased to learn that our staff was able to resolve the issue. Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope we’ll have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
aydlett, n.c.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying, I spent 26 years in the Army and as you can imagine i've traveled all over the world; and one thing I belived I could count on was that Sheraton was a quality product that the service was always beyond reproach and that the facilities were always excellent. With alll this said, here is my review... I planned a wonderful weekend for my wife's birthday..It was visit Norfolk week so thought I would book me a nice little getaway in Norfolk. I booked online and it was a simple and easy process. I was taking my wife on a dinner cruise on the Spirit of Norfolk at 1530, so I checked in at the Sheraton to see if I could get in early, at about 1400, the front desk person was pleasant and told me that I could not check in yet but that my room would be more than ready by the time I got back at 1800 to 1830 that night, great we will be back... we came back at 1825 and the room was ready and check in was peasant and easy.. we make it up to the room and the room is beautiful, the sheraton itself is in a great location on the Norfolk waterfront; my wife says to me while I'm brining the luggage into the room, Honey"I don't think they cleaned the bathroom"... of course being optimistic I said, of couse they did how can you tell? Well all the towels were thrown in the floor, the trashcan was not emptied and the tell tale toilet paper was not folded into a tip, afetr inspecting the bathroom, I agreed with her, the bathroom had not been cleaned. She called down to the front desk, they said they would take care of it if I wanted to stay in the room...I said sure, they said someone would be up in ten minutes.... We waited for 34 minutes before going to the front desk to find out what was going on, They said someone was probably up at the room as we were at the front desk, so I stayed in the lobby as my wife went to check, no one was there, as you can imagine my wife was not very happy, the whole reason for staying at the Sheraton was to make special birthday memories for my wife. The lack of promt customer service and getting the runaround in general has left a bad taste in my mouth for this particular Sheraton. The location is great, the facilities are beautiful, but unlike most of the countless other Sheratons that I've stayed in; this location did not exceed my expectations, it was the first average rating I've given to any Sheraton...........Happy Travels!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
As a seasoned traveler, we'd first like to extend our heartfelt appreciation for your loyalty in the Sheraton brand. We are truly grateful for your detailed and thorough review of your visit and deeply apologize for any inconveniences that you and your wife experienced while with us. We are honored that you chose the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel for your wife's birthday getaway and regret if we did not live up to the high standards that you've come to expect from the Sheraton brand. Please rest assured that your comments regarding the condition of your bathroom are being immediately shared with the head of our housekeeping department. The next time you are in the area, we hope you'll book with us again so we may have the opportunity to provide you with the 5-star stay you both deserve. Thank you.
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have just returned from our weekend holiday in Norfolk VA, and stayed at the Sheraton. It was conveniently placed on the attractive Waterside area, within walking distance from the baseball stadium, restaurants, museums (especially the Naval Museum and USS Wisconsin) and park areas. We took our two dogs with us having read it was dog friendly, and it did not let us down. Walked the dogs on the Waterfront and there's a lovely little park nearby where you can buy snacks etc, and they even give you dog water bowls. The hotel staff were very friendly and made our visit an enjoyable experience. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We're glad that you and your four-legged companions had the opportunity to experience all of the excitement along the waterfront. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel for your weekend getaway in Norfolk. It's wonderful to read how pleased you were with our location. It seems like you truly made the most out of your visit here and we hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back again. Thank you.
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Very nice hotel first time staying there. The rooms were nice but very small but comfy. The beds were awesome. The rooms were very clean as well. The problem I had was you have to pay to park. They do have valet parking though. We were staying for a basketball tournament which meant it was a lot of people. The valet did try and keep up with the people who were trying to get their cars. The staff was very nice as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
As a first time visitor to our hotel, we're truly grateful that you've taken time to share your review and impressions with us. It's nice to learn that you were pleased with your accommodations and our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds. We hope any inconveniences that you may have experienced with our valet were minimal during your stay and that we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. Thank you.
Piney Flats, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The waterfront location is beautiful. The hotel is about average or maybe a little above. It is pretty much what you would expect, given the price and location. They could probably use something to dampen the noise a little bit, but I mostly blame some bad guests for the noise. My biggest gripe is that most of the TV channels didn't work. I didn't have the time to deal with getting that fixed, so I just went to bed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your impressions with us. Although we are glad we were able to meet your expectations, we truly regret any difficulties that you experienced with our television. We strongly encourage our guests to share their concerns at the time of their visit so we can address any issues right away. We are grateful for your feedback and can assure you that the appropriate departments will be addressed. Thank you and we hope to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!