“My experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
McMinnville, Tennessee
“My experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I work for Southwest Airlines. There was a mixup with our rooms but Nikki really did a wonderful and caring job of taking accommodating myself and my co-worker to get a room as soon as possible. I want to thank her for understanding just how long and hard of a day we had.

A second comment would be the food. It was okay but not great. My co-worker's salad looked amazing but the seafood was actually quite disappointing and flavorless. After such a hard day I decided to splurge on more than a sandwich. The seafood at Captain D's is better to be honest. Just thought you would want to know. I guess I would try a salad next time. Thanks for listening.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
First, we'd like to express our sincere appreciation for your kind recognition of our staff member. We take pride in providing the highest level of customer service for our guests and highly value all of the feedback that we receive. Your honest comments regarding our restaurant are very much appreciated. Please rest assured that your feedback is being used as an opportunity to strengthen our commitment to providing the best in service to our guests. Thank you and we hope you'll find your way back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I'm incredibly disappointed by this hotel and its services. I checked in last night and was given a room at the club level only to find that, upon arrival, my bed was broken and laying left-to-right at a 20 degree angle. With one leg of the bed broken and laying under it. After calling and asking for a different room, I was told that there were not enough staff members to bring me a key and I would need to pack my things, come to the main lobby, and return to the club level floor for my second room. As I was walking to the hallway of the second room, I heard a high noise level with noticeable drunken partying, not muted by the thickness of these hotel walls. As it turned out, this room not only neighbored mine but was, in fact, a suite with the door between the two shut and locked. I listened to loud profanity and shouting mixed with the sound of hitting, screaming, and drunken murmurs until I called security at 3 AM. They arrived within minutes (kudos) but then left before the loud, drunken profanity aimed at "whoever called security" began...which was immediately. Things finally calmed down at 4 AM and resumed at 6 AM. For my trouble, I was given a free full breakfast - not a continental breakfast, as this already comes free with a 10th floor stay. When I arrived for my full breakfast, I asked my waiter about his favorite menu item. He recommended the buffet, which looks EXACTLY like a continental breakfast, mini cereal boxes included. My breakfast of Yoplait and granola didn't quite fill me up so at 1:19 PM I called room service. The phone rang for FIVE MINUTES. I then hung up and dialed the front desk (1:24), asking if there was a better way to contact room service. The front desk attendant transferred me to room service, where the phone rang until 1:27 and then dropped. Absolutely unacceptable. I hope the hotel management has the decency to read this and respond appropriately.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for once again reaching out to us, as we have been trying to reach you without success. It appears that the information on your reservation has provided us limited ability to contact you. Our room inspection process is usually quite thorough and we do apologize for any inconveniences that you may have experienced. We hope you'll contact the hotel at your earliest convenience so we may follow up with your comments directly. Thank you.
Catonsville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

My experience at this hotel was very disappointing. I reserved and pre-paid for two rooms at the Sheraton. One was a handicap assessable room, for my 77 yr old father that uses a walker to ambulate. On April 9, 2013 I contacted the hotel and spoke with Marquita, who confirmed the handicap room, for a one night stay for April 13, 2013. On April 12th I spoke with Charlotte to confirm, which she did. On the day of my father’s and my arrival I contacted the hotel at 1pm indicating that we would not arrive until after 6pm. I spoke with Charmaine who stated that she personally did the room check and confirmed the handicap room and assured me that our rooms will be ready, and are guaranteed because I had pre-paid for the rooms. My dad and I arrived at 6:30pm to discover our rooms had been given away, and the hotel was fully booked. The front desk clerk, Tori stared at the computer screen I assumed waiting for something to magically happen. I asked to speak to the manager, and he Front Desk Supervisor Mr. Shohn Horton responded. Mr. Horton apologized, after I told him what his staff had assured me regarding the rooms, and that I was disappointed with the service. My dad and I had been traveling all day and he required special accommodations and the Sheraton staff gave away the specific room we requested and paid for. It took 2 hours for Mr. Horton to get my father settled in his room, after he had to approach the guest who was in the handicap room and this guest did not require these accommodations. This would not have happened had the Sheraton not played the game of Bait and Switch. Travelers with special needs beware.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
On behalf of our staff, I'd like to extend my apologies for any inconveniences that you and your father experienced at our hotel. We understand how essential these special accommodations were for you and the length of time it took for our staff to resolve the issue is unacceptable. We highly value our guests and always strive to meet their special requests and needs when possible. We truly regret that your experience did not reflect the high standards we wish to provide and we hope you'll allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again. Thank you.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Sheraton is located in downtown Norfolk. Within walking distance to restaurants, shopping and nightlife. The property is directly on the waterfront (River/harbor) with scenic views.
As stated in previous reviews; the parking is about a "City Block" away. I did find the drive up check in area to be great for loading and unloading luggage. (Valet parking is offered for $22 a night/self park for $12 in garage).
The property is an older hotel but very well maintained with most modern comforts. I found this hotel to be very quiet, AC worked great and rooms clean and tasteful. The "Dream beds" lived up to the hype on the website.....very comfortable.
This property is Pet Friendly and currently does not charge a Fee. (Will return to this Hotel for the Pet friendly and affordability).
Breakfast at "City Dock" was Excellent; choose the full Buffet if hungry. Coffee is provided in the lobby in the morning at No Charge...Another great feature. The staff was very friendly and helpful; especially the Bell hops out front. I did not use the Pool, as it is outdoors and seasonal. I will return to this property when in the Norfolk area. Great place for a relaxing weekend getaway! Overall a well managed property....and it shows.

Room Tip: Waterfront for views, City views for lower rates. Avoid rooms by elevators (Noisy)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
What a lovely review of our property. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, as it's wonderful to read so many positive comments in one review. We are very delighted to learn that you already planning to return and we look forward to welcoming you back.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Very clean and courtesy staff. Hotel was nice room very nice on the small size it was very tight in the room the bed was very comfortable. The parking was not good. Even though there was a valet it was hectic as well. It was a big busy weekend and there was too many cars for the little bit of valets that was available.

• Stayed March 2013
While we're pleased that you enjoyed your stay, we regret any difficulties that you experienced with our parking. We can understand your frustration and hope any inconveniences were minimal during your time with us. Thank you for sharing your impressions of our hotel and we hope we'll have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel the next time you are in the area.
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

A very good hotel, parking was $12 a night. Room wasa bit on the small side, but not crowded. Everything was super clean, lobby is becoming outdated though. I'd stay here again. We didn't try any of the in-house restaurants

• Stayed March 2013
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We hope you’ll have the opportunity to enjoy our City Dock Restaurant during your next visit! Thank you for sharing your review and impressions with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night when we were in town for a concert. The front desk staff was super friendly and helpful. They printed directions out for us twice so we could get where we were going. The room was very clean and well appointed. We chose to park in the parking deck next to the hotel rather than paying for the valet parking. I don't really know why people reviewing this make it sound like you have to walk a country mile to get to your car. It is right beside the hotel, well-lit, and safe. We got a great deal on Priceline, and would happily return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for making us your hotel of choice while in town for the concert. We pride ourselves on offering exceptional customer service and it’s always a pleasure to learn when we deliver on that promise. We’re glad that our convenient location to the nearby parking garage worked out so perfectly for your stay and we look forward to your return to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!