“Not Good for Sheraton” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not Good for Sheraton”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

It was very convenient after finishing my meeting downtown to see the hotel and pull right in. The valet guys watched my car and I went in to book my room. The rate was twice as much as other hotels outside the downtown area. When I went out to park my car I was directed to a pay parking garage 1/4 mile away and was advised to park instead at the valet at a cost of $22. I chose it because I didn't want to walk far with my suit case. Everything in the room looked new and OK on the surface. Other than the dark coffee splatter all over the wall the room was pretty clean. I went to the bathroom and went to turn the faucet on and noticed it was not fastened very well to the sink. Then I noticed there was no hot water. I went to log on to the house internet system and was surprised to see that it cost an additional $9.49 per day. I thought that was odd given that most other hotels offer internet access for free. The internet access was slower than it should have been for the charge. When I finally turned in and layed on the bed I found myself laying in a gaping hole caused by on old worn out matress. I tried moving around but couldn't escape it so I ended up sleeping on the floor.
The next morning I turned on the shower and waited...and waited...and waited.. for the water to get hot. After discharging 100 gallons of water I got luke warm at best.
So over all the convenience and location where great, but the hotel seemed more interested in what was in my wallet then the room they sold me. It was not worth the $192.00 total bill for one night.

Room Tip: Head to VA beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
When it comes to our guests, we always strive to exceed their expectations in all areas and regret that your stay was not at this level. We’re truly grateful for your thorough review and extend our sincere apologies for any inconveniences that you experienced with your accommodations. We do regret any difficulties regarding the speed of our Internet and are pleased to mention that the issue has been addressed and resolved.

While your review is appreciated, it’s disappointing that you did not find our in-room Internet to be at the best value. If we get the opportunity to welcome you back, we hope you’ll take advantage of our complimentary wireless Internet in our lobby. While we do find that our rates are comparable to other hotels in the area, our website offers great savings packages that both the business traveler or leisure guest may find beneficial. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

It is sad that Sheraton would let a hotel in a nice waterside location like this have so many problems.
The problems start in the lobby. Although they have an attractive area with several computers (they call it their "business center" but don't expect anything that is useful.) The computers here are so outrageously slow that they are almost worthless. Multiple people gave up on using them because they were so slow. And the printers worked less than half the time.
The problems continued to the room. The room had a refrigerator but it did not work at all. The room had 2 old phones - one did not work at all and the other only partially worked. The curtains would open properly so the view of the water was blocked by the curtains. The hotel has room service but there was no menu in the room to order from.
The bed was comfrtable and the pillows were great and plentiful. Towels were decent. The desk was a good size for working but there was not enough light and not enough plug sockets. There were only 2 sockets. I had to unplug the light to plug in a computer and a charger. Most hotels these days offer at least 2 sockets in addition to the ones powering the light and the tv.
The bar downstairs is good and the food you can order at the bar is good. Great she-crab soup and good burgers.

Room Tip: Insist on a waterview
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We’d first like to apologize for any inconveniences or difficulties that you experienced with our complimentary Internet and printing services in our lobby’s Link@Sheraton. We regret that your experience did not meet the high level of service that you deserve. Please rest assured that the issue regarding the speed of our Internet has been addressed and resolved.

We truly appreciate you sharing your honest and detailed feedback regarding our accommodations. Please know that our maintenance crew is being notified. We are glad to read that you enjoyed your dining experience in our City Dock Restaurant. The next time you are in the area, we hope you’ll consider visiting with us again. Thank you.
Intercourse, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Decent hotel, no complaints. I stayed here for business, and it was acceptable. Not the most luxurious place ever, but decent with a good location and fun bar staff. A block or two away from a few malls, restaurants and a navy museum, so there was stuff to do whn stranded in a different city.

• Stayed March 2013
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
We are located in the heart of downtown Norfolk where shopping centers, restaurants and attractions are just steps away so we’re glad that you had the chance to explore the area! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Whether visiting for business or leisure, we hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I found the best rates on the Sheraton website. Better prices than calling hotel directly or using the discount agencies. For added benefits, be sure to enroll in the SPG membership before booking.

The Club Level, 10th Floor Waterfront rooms were a great value. Balconies and connecting rooms were available on this floor, as well.

Lounge on same floor with balconies. Great to step outside and soak up the soothing sights, sounds, fresh air of the waterfront. Then back inside to choose from the wide variety of snacks and beverages. Breakfast selections worked well for us: eggs, bacon, home fries, pastries, yogurt and more.

Great service and value. Super comfy beds and linens. Friendly, professional team.
Special thanks to Ms. Jordan Mooring at front desk. She is truly a dedicated Sheraton
Ambassador!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We’re very pleased to learn that you found us to be at such a great value. It seems like you truly made the most out of your stay on our Club Floor! We are delighted that you had such a wonderful experience with us at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel and we hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back again. Thank you for your review.
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I stay here frequently. My last stay was disappointing in two regards. First, breakfast at The Dock was understaffed -- twice I walked in and there was no one to serve me -- and poor. Compared to the Marriott across the street, the buffet is embarrassing to management. Second, this hotel does not provide the Wall Street Journal. Many serious business travelers need this. (I don't believe anyone actually reads USA Today, except hotel guests who get it free and have no other option -- like me, at this hotel). Both of these concerns should be addressed swiftly.

• Stayed February 2013
We highly value your suggestion regarding the Wall Street Journal and can assure you that it will be taken into consideration for the future. As a loyal guest, it’s disappointing that your recent experience with us did not meet your expectations. For any inconveniences that you encountered during your stay, we apologize. Since your experience in our restaurant does not reflect the high standards of customer service that we strive for, please rest assured that your comments are being passed along to our restaurant management. We hope we get the opportunity, especially with a return guest such as yourself, to fully impress you during a future visit. Thank you
Hampton, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have stayed in several different hotels and this is my favorite. I have stayed here twice now and it is just as clean and well keep as the first time. The staff is great and very helpful. We love the breakfast buffet in the dinning room.. It's not cheap but worth it. The buffet has 2 types of meats,potatoes,eggs,bisquites and gravy,fruit,cerial,oatmeal,bagels,toast,pastries,and much more. They also have a cook making omlets to order with tons of fillings and they also have a cook making Belgian waffles. You won't leave hungury and there is something for everyone. We had an issue with the coke machine taking my money and not giving a coke and the front desk returned the money to me and gave me a free coke from dinning room for the inconvenience. We really enjoy are stay and the beds are so comfy. Yes this hotel is a little on the pricier side but worth every penny. You do have to walk to the parking area but its really not far and we got discounted parking for staying at hotel $5 a day not bad for Norfolk parking. You do have to pay for Internet but you can't expect everything to be included. We love this place and sure you will to.

Room Tip: We like the harbor view just because we like to watch the boats and see the water but if you don'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
It’s always our pleasure to welcome you to our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience, as we’re pleased that we were able to once again live up to your expectations. As a loyal guest to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, we’re delighted to read how much you enjoy our breakfast buffet. The level of detail that you’ve provided for our future guests is very much appreciated and we hope we can continue to welcome you back in the future. Keep in mind, complimentary high-speed wireless Internet is always available in our lobby.
Gordonsville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked my room here through Expedia, and apparently didn't read the fine print for this hotel well enough because upon arrival, even though I had prepaid, a $50 hold was placed on my credit card for the room. This hotel offers valet parking for $22 a night or you can park in their garage (a block away) for $20 a day. I didn't see any mention of parking fees when I booked but once we were there we had no other choice but to pay it. We parked in the garage and made the walk back to the hotel. It wasn't too bad but it was annoying to run the bags up to the room run back and park the car and then run back to the room.

Once we got through that, upon entering our room, the entire space smelled like sweat & old lady perfume. The room looked clean it just smelled horrible and the actual room did not live up to the pics I had seen on their website. Much much smaller. For $102 a night there was no continental breakfast, the walls were paper thin!!! At 3 am my hubby and I were awakened by the music in the room next door and people talking. But they weren't shouting and the music wasn't loud at all. The walls were just that thin. We could make out some of their conversation and ended up turning on our tv when things got hot and heavy over there. I would expect this of a motel, not a Sheraton property.

The elevators were scary! The first couple times we used them with no issues but after that, once they did arrived the door took forever to close, or the alarm went off and 2 different elevators shook so bad everyone in it was gripping the wall hoping it wasn't going to break down right there.

There is no express checkout or if there is I wasn't informed. When we went to check out I was told however that the price I paid on Expedia didn't cover all hotel charges and my card would be charged an additional $13 in taxes and fees. I've never had this happen with any other place and I use Expedia all the time.

It took 5 days (after checkout) for Sheraton to release the $50 hold on my card and replace it with the $13 in fees. We did not order room service or anything else.

The only nice thing about this place was the front decor and the restaurant. We ate lunch in the hotel restaurant and the drinks were spectacular! The food was good too and came in a timely manner. Great view of the harbor and have us easy access to our destination for the evening.

For the same price I could have/should have stayed at Embassy Suites and gotten much more and nicer for my $. Slightly disappointed but we didn't let it ruin our weekend. Probably wont be staying at a Sheraton again unless there is nowhere else to go. Not the worst, but barely just ok...

• Stayed February 2013
As a loyal guest to our hotel, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’re glad that our location continues to work out so well for your needs. We appreciate the feedback that you’ve provided for our future guests though we are truly saddened to learn of your experience at our pool. As a smoke-free property, this does not reflect the high standards that we’ve set and we can assure you that your review is being passed along to the appropriate departments. Thank you for addressing this concern with us and we hope you will continue to stay with us in the future, as it’s always our pleasure to welcome you to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!