“Great place to stay and very clean !” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Hampton, Virginia, United States
“Great place to stay and very clean !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have stayed in several different hotels and this is my favorite. I have stayed here twice now and it is just as clean and well keep as the first time. The staff is great and very helpful. We love the breakfast buffet in the dinning room.. It's not cheap but worth it. The buffet has 2 types of meats,potatoes,eggs,bisquites and gravy,fruit,cerial,oatmeal,bagels,toast,pastries,and much more. They also have a cook making omlets to order with tons of fillings and they also have a cook making Belgian waffles. You won't leave hungury and there is something for everyone. We had an issue with the coke machine taking my money and not giving a coke and the front desk returned the money to me and gave me a free coke from dinning room for the inconvenience. We really enjoy are stay and the beds are so comfy. Yes this hotel is a little on the pricier side but worth every penny. You do have to walk to the parking area but its really not far and we got discounted parking for staying at hotel $5 a day not bad for Norfolk parking. You do have to pay for Internet but you can't expect everything to be included. We love this place and sure you will to.

Room Tip: We like the harbor view just because we like to watch the boats and see the water but if you don'...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
It’s always our pleasure to welcome you to our hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience, as we’re pleased that we were able to once again live up to your expectations. As a loyal guest to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, we’re delighted to read how much you enjoy our breakfast buffet. The level of detail that you’ve provided for our future guests is very much appreciated and we hope we can continue to welcome you back in the future. Keep in mind, complimentary high-speed wireless Internet is always available in our lobby.

459 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Gordonsville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked my room here through Expedia, and apparently didn't read the fine print for this hotel well enough because upon arrival, even though I had prepaid, a $50 hold was placed on my credit card for the room. This hotel offers valet parking for $22 a night or you can park in their garage (a block away) for $20 a day. I didn't see any mention of parking fees when I booked but once we were there we had no other choice but to pay it. We parked in the garage and made the walk back to the hotel. It wasn't too bad but it was annoying to run the bags up to the room run back and park the car and then run back to the room.

Once we got through that, upon entering our room, the entire space smelled like sweat & old lady perfume. The room looked clean it just smelled horrible and the actual room did not live up to the pics I had seen on their website. Much much smaller. For $102 a night there was no continental breakfast, the walls were paper thin!!! At 3 am my hubby and I were awakened by the music in the room next door and people talking. But they weren't shouting and the music wasn't loud at all. The walls were just that thin. We could make out some of their conversation and ended up turning on our tv when things got hot and heavy over there. I would expect this of a motel, not a Sheraton property.

The elevators were scary! The first couple times we used them with no issues but after that, once they did arrived the door took forever to close, or the alarm went off and 2 different elevators shook so bad everyone in it was gripping the wall hoping it wasn't going to break down right there.

There is no express checkout or if there is I wasn't informed. When we went to check out I was told however that the price I paid on Expedia didn't cover all hotel charges and my card would be charged an additional $13 in taxes and fees. I've never had this happen with any other place and I use Expedia all the time.

It took 5 days (after checkout) for Sheraton to release the $50 hold on my card and replace it with the $13 in fees. We did not order room service or anything else.

The only nice thing about this place was the front decor and the restaurant. We ate lunch in the hotel restaurant and the drinks were spectacular! The food was good too and came in a timely manner. Great view of the harbor and have us easy access to our destination for the evening.

For the same price I could have/should have stayed at Embassy Suites and gotten much more and nicer for my $. Slightly disappointed but we didn't let it ruin our weekend. Probably wont be staying at a Sheraton again unless there is nowhere else to go. Not the worst, but barely just ok...

• Stayed February 2013
As a loyal guest to our hotel, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We’re glad that our location continues to work out so well for your needs. We appreciate the feedback that you’ve provided for our future guests though we are truly saddened to learn of your experience at our pool. As a smoke-free property, this does not reflect the high standards that we’ve set and we can assure you that your review is being passed along to the appropriate departments. Thank you for addressing this concern with us and we hope you will continue to stay with us in the future, as it’s always our pleasure to welcome you to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel is super for downtown Norfolk activities. You can also catch the water taxi to Portsmouth from the nearby dock. My Hotwire rate was 2/3 the hotel's rate. The king size room was spacious, neat, and comfortable.
- It's about time the Sheraton Norfolk starts providing free WiFi. C'mon, really, $9.95 per day for a connection?
- The harbor view rooms are pretty cool, with a nice view of the shipyard, but be aware that vessels operating at night use their whistles to communicate. I had an early morning wake-up compliments of a tug operating near the waterside facility.

Room Tip: See my note about the harbor side rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
The water taxi is a wonderful option for exploring the local sites. We greatly appreciate you pointing out this great suggestion in your review. While we’re very pleased that our convenient location worked out so well for your stay, we regret any inconveniences with our Internet. We hope you’ll take advantage of our complimentary wireless Internet, which is always available to our guests in our lobby, during a future visit. It is always our intention to provide our guests with the best possible experience and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. Thank you.
VA, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Hot water frequently unavailable. Beds were not initially made up properly (sheets came off during the night). Service was extremely poor. Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
For any inconveniences that you experienced during your three-night stay with us, we truly apologize. Though, we never want our guests to leave and feel that their expectations weren’t met, we greatly appreciate the feedback that you’ve provided. We thank you for taking the time to share your review and hope you’ll someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Bloomfield, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was there for a meeting and we had long days... got back to my room at 11:30 to discover that the thumping bass from the nightclub resonated up to the fifth floor with a dull throb, kind of like someone using a pneumatic drill down the block. Tried to pass out anyway, finally at 1:00 a.m. had to ask to be moved to the opposite side of the building. At least they sent someone up with a new room key .

They told me that nobody else complained... they were either very hard-of-hearing, very tired, or still at the party.

Rooms themselves were nice enough. Never ate there so I can't rate the food.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, avoid the river side on a low floor. Sorry, I meant to make a note of w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
A good night’s sleep is essential, especially after a long day, and we sincerely apologize if any noise disruptions may have impacted your time with us. Understandably, you were frustrated and we truly regret if you felt you did not receive the peaceful night’s rest you deserved. We appreciate you addressing this concern to our staff so we were able to immediately resolve the issue and provide you with the perfect accommodations. Whether visiting again for business or leisure, we hope you’ll allow us the opportunity to welcome you back. Thank you for your review.
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Parking options were Valet for $22/night or park in a public garage a half block away for $12/night. Both exorbitant.
Wifi in-room $12.
The weirdest part of my stay was in the morning, about 7:30 I heard maids scrubbing the halls. At about 8am they started scrubbing the outside of my door, then scrubbed it again about 8:45. Finally there was a knock on my door at about 9:15. I didn't open it but said "yes?", the maid asked "when are you leaving?" I told her I'd be leaving about 11:30. She said ok and the hall scrubbing seemed to cease at that point. I found the maid's question odd and rude. And wonder if there were only a few guests in the hotel and the maids were camping outside my door until I left, and finally grew impatient.

• Stayed January 2013
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your impressions with us though we truly regret to learn that you didn’t find our services to be at the best possible value. While we do find that our parking rates are comparable to the area, we always appreciate our guests’ feedback. We regret any inconveniences that you experienced with our housekeeping department and can assure you that your review is being passed along to our staff. Thank you for sharing your review and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Southwest Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside hotel again for business in December 2012 was very pleased with the service I received. The location of the hotel is ideal and the cleanliness of the rooms and public areas were great. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, with the exception of the front desk staff. They still need training in customer service and accuracy. When we arrived at the hotel (after a long trip) at 10:00 pm, my colleague was given a key to a room that was already occupied (the same situation occurred to another one of my colleagues 3 months ago), then the replacement room’s key did not work. It took over 30 minutes to get checked in and settled in our rooms. Otherwise, we had a wonderful stay and enjoyed a delicious breakfast buffet at the City Dock restaurant (in the hotel lobby) each morning. The servers and chefs were very friendly and welcoming each morning; they truly seemed to enjoy being there and always had a smile on their faces (it was a great way to start the day every morning!). I recommend this hotel for business and/or pleasure, and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to use valet parking... the parking garage is very inconvenient and almost a block away (not...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
As a return guest, thank you for taking the time to share your review. While we deeply regret any inconveniences or difficulties that you encountered during your visit, your feedback is more than appreciated. We’re delighted that you’ve shared your experience at our City Dock Restaurant and we’re looking forward to passing your kind comments along to our restaurant staff. We’re always proud to learn when a guest’s experience has inspired a return visit. Whether staying for business or leisure, we hope to welcome you back soon to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!