“Expensive and noisy” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Bloomfield, New Jersey
“Expensive and noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was there for a meeting and we had long days... got back to my room at 11:30 to discover that the thumping bass from the nightclub resonated up to the fifth floor with a dull throb, kind of like someone using a pneumatic drill down the block. Tried to pass out anyway, finally at 1:00 a.m. had to ask to be moved to the opposite side of the building. At least they sent someone up with a new room key .

They told me that nobody else complained... they were either very hard-of-hearing, very tired, or still at the party.

Rooms themselves were nice enough. Never ate there so I can't rate the food.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, avoid the river side on a low floor. Sorry, I meant to make a note of w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
A good night’s sleep is essential, especially after a long day, and we sincerely apologize if any noise disruptions may have impacted your time with us. Understandably, you were frustrated and we truly regret if you felt you did not receive the peaceful night’s rest you deserved. We appreciate you addressing this concern to our staff so we were able to immediately resolve the issue and provide you with the perfect accommodations. Whether visiting again for business or leisure, we hope you’ll allow us the opportunity to welcome you back. Thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Parking options were Valet for $22/night or park in a public garage a half block away for $12/night. Both exorbitant.
Wifi in-room $12.
The weirdest part of my stay was in the morning, about 7:30 I heard maids scrubbing the halls. At about 8am they started scrubbing the outside of my door, then scrubbed it again about 8:45. Finally there was a knock on my door at about 9:15. I didn't open it but said "yes?", the maid asked "when are you leaving?" I told her I'd be leaving about 11:30. She said ok and the hall scrubbing seemed to cease at that point. I found the maid's question odd and rude. And wonder if there were only a few guests in the hotel and the maids were camping outside my door until I left, and finally grew impatient.

• Stayed January 2013
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing your impressions with us though we truly regret to learn that you didn’t find our services to be at the best possible value. While we do find that our parking rates are comparable to the area, we always appreciate our guests’ feedback. We regret any inconveniences that you experienced with our housekeeping department and can assure you that your review is being passed along to our staff. Thank you for sharing your review and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside hotel again for business in December 2012 was very pleased with the service I received. The location of the hotel is ideal and the cleanliness of the rooms and public areas were great. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, with the exception of the front desk staff. They still need training in customer service and accuracy. When we arrived at the hotel (after a long trip) at 10:00 pm, my colleague was given a key to a room that was already occupied (the same situation occurred to another one of my colleagues 3 months ago), then the replacement room’s key did not work. It took over 30 minutes to get checked in and settled in our rooms. Otherwise, we had a wonderful stay and enjoyed a delicious breakfast buffet at the City Dock restaurant (in the hotel lobby) each morning. The servers and chefs were very friendly and welcoming each morning; they truly seemed to enjoy being there and always had a smile on their faces (it was a great way to start the day every morning!). I recommend this hotel for business and/or pleasure, and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to use valet parking... the parking garage is very inconvenient and almost a block away (not...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
As a return guest, thank you for taking the time to share your review. While we deeply regret any inconveniences or difficulties that you encountered during your visit, your feedback is more than appreciated. We’re delighted that you’ve shared your experience at our City Dock Restaurant and we’re looking forward to passing your kind comments along to our restaurant staff. We’re always proud to learn when a guest’s experience has inspired a return visit. Whether staying for business or leisure, we hope to welcome you back soon to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights and had a great room overlooking the harbour, you can easily walk downtown to restaurants and the Nautilus attraction. While the hotel is a little dated, rooms were comfortable and well appointed

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
It’s wonderful to learn that our convenient location worked out so well for your visit. After exploring our surrounding area, it was our pleasure to provide you with a comfortable setting to rest your feet. Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your two-night getaway and we hope to welcome you back soon to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

After a night like this one......I am strongly considering ending my decade long relationship as a Diamond member with Hyatt. The hotel was in a great location, with plenty to do in the surrounding Granby St. location of food and fun. The staff at the hotel was absolutely awesome from the gentleman who checked me in (I feel bad I forgot his name, as he suggested I join SPG as well as so many places to eat) The hotel parking situation was alittle chaotic as well as the excessive noise from all the drunks staying there for a football game day event but that's not the hotel's fault people can't control themselves with liquid courage running through there veins. Rusty at the lobby bar is awesome, such a friendly and sweet woman!! My hat comes off to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside....GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your glowing review! It truly warms our heart to read a guest review such as yours and we’ll certainly pass along your kind comments to our staff. We hope any noise disruptions that you experienced were minimal during your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback and we hope next time you’ll notify us immediately with any concerns so we can create the best possible experience for everyone. Thank you and we hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Potomac, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've found lately that Sheratons are a interesting bunch..some hits and some misses, and not too much consistency in the brand as you get with some chains.
This Sheraton was right in the middle.
Pros- Nice pool, and loved the flowers/plants around the pool. On that note the grounds were very nice, and loved the fact it was on the river (hence the Waterside name of their hotel).
Breakfast was good, but pricey!!
Cons- The room was a little run down, and the towels- OUCH!, super rough.
Parking was a bit strange...garage a hike down the road, or take the more scenic river path to get there. Either way not one I'd want my parents doing at night- didn't feel super safe.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review with us, as we always value the feedback that we receive from our guests. We truly apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced with our bath amenities and services. Our guests’ safety is always our primary concern and we’re most proud of our hotel security and local police force that ensures a secure environment for our guests. However, it is never our intention for our guests to feel anything less than comfortable in all areas of their stay so please keep in mind that valet parking is always an available option. Thank you and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had to change my reservation at last minute the front desk manager not only changed it but upgraded me to a suite ..I am a platinum member of Starwood but it is still nice when the staff is nice about things.
I also had my choice of suites and the front desk employee help guide me.
Cheers to this hotel
Thanks

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding the customer service that you received. It’s always a pleasure to be able to accommodate the requests of our guests and we’re delighted that you enjoyed your suite upgrade. As a SPG Platinum Member, thank you for your feedback and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!