“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights and had a great room overlooking the harbour, you can easily walk downtown to restaurants and the Nautilus attraction. While the hotel is a little dated, rooms were comfortable and well appointed

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
It’s wonderful to learn that our convenient location worked out so well for your visit. After exploring our surrounding area, it was our pleasure to provide you with a comfortable setting to rest your feet. Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your two-night getaway and we hope to welcome you back soon to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

After a night like this one......I am strongly considering ending my decade long relationship as a Diamond member with Hyatt. The hotel was in a great location, with plenty to do in the surrounding Granby St. location of food and fun. The staff at the hotel was absolutely awesome from the gentleman who checked me in (I feel bad I forgot his name, as he suggested I join SPG as well as so many places to eat) The hotel parking situation was alittle chaotic as well as the excessive noise from all the drunks staying there for a football game day event but that's not the hotel's fault people can't control themselves with liquid courage running through there veins. Rusty at the lobby bar is awesome, such a friendly and sweet woman!! My hat comes off to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside....GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your glowing review! It truly warms our heart to read a guest review such as yours and we’ll certainly pass along your kind comments to our staff. We hope any noise disruptions that you experienced were minimal during your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback and we hope next time you’ll notify us immediately with any concerns so we can create the best possible experience for everyone. Thank you and we hope we get the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
Potomac, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've found lately that Sheratons are a interesting bunch..some hits and some misses, and not too much consistency in the brand as you get with some chains.
This Sheraton was right in the middle.
Pros- Nice pool, and loved the flowers/plants around the pool. On that note the grounds were very nice, and loved the fact it was on the river (hence the Waterside name of their hotel).
Breakfast was good, but pricey!!
Cons- The room was a little run down, and the towels- OUCH!, super rough.
Parking was a bit strange...garage a hike down the road, or take the more scenic river path to get there. Either way not one I'd want my parents doing at night- didn't feel super safe.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review with us, as we always value the feedback that we receive from our guests. We truly apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced with our bath amenities and services. Our guests’ safety is always our primary concern and we’re most proud of our hotel security and local police force that ensures a secure environment for our guests. However, it is never our intention for our guests to feel anything less than comfortable in all areas of their stay so please keep in mind that valet parking is always an available option. Thank you and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I had to change my reservation at last minute the front desk manager not only changed it but upgraded me to a suite ..I am a platinum member of Starwood but it is still nice when the staff is nice about things.
I also had my choice of suites and the front desk employee help guide me.
Cheers to this hotel
Thanks

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding the customer service that you received. It’s always a pleasure to be able to accommodate the requests of our guests and we’re delighted that you enjoyed your suite upgrade. As a SPG Platinum Member, thank you for your feedback and we hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have stayed here for business several times now. I try and stay at a hotel 3 times before I submit reviews. Rooms are small but nice. Good flat screen TV's, super comfortable beds and pillows, and delicious Starbucks coffee. On a coffee note, they only provide flavored creamer, which I find gross. It always makes me a little mad that I have to go without creamer when I stay here. Regular cream should always be an option!!
Anyway, the rooms are small, some of them have very nice views of the water. The bathrooms are ridiculously small, you have to juggle with the door to get into the shower and use the toilet. The walls or the doors are really thin, you will hear each and every noise in the hallway and the rooms on each side of you.
WiFi - crazy expensive. I have no idea why hotels still charge for this. I know they offer it free in the lobby, but I don't want to sit in the lobby in my pajamas. And the last thing I want after a long day at work is to stay in my clothes to check up on emails.
Dinner in the restaurant.... Avoid it. I ordered a simple crab macaroni and cheese. It was all breadcrumbs. I'm not kidding. There were only a few noodles, and some shredded crab. Great flavor, but there was about an inch of breadcrumbs. My co-worker and I both ordered it, and were very disappointed, and we both left starving. And it was $18!!!!! The service was terribly slow too. There are lots of restaurants in walking distance, I recommend patronizing them instead.
Front desk is hit and miss. They are never beyond cordial.
Fitness center is great!!! Lots of great equipment. Pool is also nice, but tends to be very crowded.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. As a loyal business guest, your feedback is more than appreciated. For any inconveniences that you experienced with our services, we apologize. It is never our intention for our guests to receive anything less than a comfortable stay and we truly regret if your experience didn’t match the high standards that we strive to achieve. We’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our coffee creamer and can assure you that all of the feedback that you’ve provided will be taken into consideration. We regret if any noise disruptions prevented you from receiving the peaceful night’s rest that you deserve. We hope we get another opportunity to welcome you back, as we’re certain that our staff can help find the perfect accommodations to fit your needs.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel 6 or 7 years ago and remembered it favorably so booked again for two nights...so much for nostalgia...rudely treated at checkin twice...despite having a premium reservation and SPG preferred...room on executive floor was small with frig stuck in middle of room...walls were paper thin...despite being a sound sleeper, I was awakened repeatedly by noise from next door rooms and hallways...tried dinner in the restaurant and the waitress spent more time sweeping the floors than waiting on us...had to remind her our dinner must be ready (it was, but had I not reminded her, we might still be there). Will not return and would try almost any other hotel in town as I doubt they could be worse.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
As a SPG member and return guest, we would like to thank you for your feedback. It’s truly disappointing to learn that, not only were your expectations not met, but that your experience wasn’t reflective of the high standards of customer service that we’ve set. We truly apologize for the length of time it took to serve you at our restaurant and can understand any frustrations that you must have felt. I can assure you that your comments are being passed along to our restaurant management. In addition, we truly apologize for any noise disruptions that may have impacted your valued time with us. A good night’s sleep is essential and we regret if any noises disturbed your rest. While we appreciate your review, we hope that you’ll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back again. Thank you.
Midwest USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Initially unhappy that I had to return to this hotel after my previous stay in 2007, I was pleasantly surprised to find most conditions had improved. This uptick can be partially attributed to staying in a club level room which had much nicer amenities, but things do seem somewhat better than my first visit. The breakfast buffet was very nice and the overall experience was positive.
Remaining issues:
1) The $9.95 per day room internet access is just ridiculous; why does Sheraton actually charge for this?
2) This Sheraton needs safes in each room; anything less is unacceptable. My locked TSA luggage lock was visibly damaged and rendered unusable during my stay and I can only assume that someone was tampering with it while I was out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
As a return guest to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, we truly appreciate you sharing your review with us. Our mult-million dollar upgrade has brought many exciting changes to our property including our lobby’s Link@Sheraton, which offers complimentary wireless Internet for our guests to enjoy. For any inconveniences that you experienced with our services, we sincerely apologize. While traveling with valuable items, we encourage our guests to take advantage of our safe deposit boxes that are available at our front desk and regret if these guest services were not made clear to you at the time of your visit. Thank you for sharing your updated review and we hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!