“Not bad, noisy hallways.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
“Not bad, noisy hallways.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have stayed here for business several times now. I try and stay at a hotel 3 times before I submit reviews. Rooms are small but nice. Good flat screen TV's, super comfortable beds and pillows, and delicious Starbucks coffee. On a coffee note, they only provide flavored creamer, which I find gross. It always makes me a little mad that I have to go without creamer when I stay here. Regular cream should always be an option!!
Anyway, the rooms are small, some of them have very nice views of the water. The bathrooms are ridiculously small, you have to juggle with the door to get into the shower and use the toilet. The walls or the doors are really thin, you will hear each and every noise in the hallway and the rooms on each side of you.
WiFi - crazy expensive. I have no idea why hotels still charge for this. I know they offer it free in the lobby, but I don't want to sit in the lobby in my pajamas. And the last thing I want after a long day at work is to stay in my clothes to check up on emails.
Dinner in the restaurant.... Avoid it. I ordered a simple crab macaroni and cheese. It was all breadcrumbs. I'm not kidding. There were only a few noodles, and some shredded crab. Great flavor, but there was about an inch of breadcrumbs. My co-worker and I both ordered it, and were very disappointed, and we both left starving. And it was $18!!!!! The service was terribly slow too. There are lots of restaurants in walking distance, I recommend patronizing them instead.
Front desk is hit and miss. They are never beyond cordial.
Fitness center is great!!! Lots of great equipment. Pool is also nice, but tends to be very crowded.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. As a loyal business guest, your feedback is more than appreciated. For any inconveniences that you experienced with our services, we apologize. It is never our intention for our guests to receive anything less than a comfortable stay and we truly regret if your experience didn’t match the high standards that we strive to achieve. We’d like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our coffee creamer and can assure you that all of the feedback that you’ve provided will be taken into consideration. We regret if any noise disruptions prevented you from receiving the peaceful night’s rest that you deserve. We hope we get another opportunity to welcome you back, as we’re certain that our staff can help find the perfect accommodations to fit your needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel 6 or 7 years ago and remembered it favorably so booked again for two nights...so much for nostalgia...rudely treated at checkin twice...despite having a premium reservation and SPG preferred...room on executive floor was small with frig stuck in middle of room...walls were paper thin...despite being a sound sleeper, I was awakened repeatedly by noise from next door rooms and hallways...tried dinner in the restaurant and the waitress spent more time sweeping the floors than waiting on us...had to remind her our dinner must be ready (it was, but had I not reminded her, we might still be there). Will not return and would try almost any other hotel in town as I doubt they could be worse.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
As a SPG member and return guest, we would like to thank you for your feedback. It’s truly disappointing to learn that, not only were your expectations not met, but that your experience wasn’t reflective of the high standards of customer service that we’ve set. We truly apologize for the length of time it took to serve you at our restaurant and can understand any frustrations that you must have felt. I can assure you that your comments are being passed along to our restaurant management. In addition, we truly apologize for any noise disruptions that may have impacted your valued time with us. A good night’s sleep is essential and we regret if any noises disturbed your rest. While we appreciate your review, we hope that you’ll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back again. Thank you.
Midwest USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Initially unhappy that I had to return to this hotel after my previous stay in 2007, I was pleasantly surprised to find most conditions had improved. This uptick can be partially attributed to staying in a club level room which had much nicer amenities, but things do seem somewhat better than my first visit. The breakfast buffet was very nice and the overall experience was positive.
Remaining issues:
1) The $9.95 per day room internet access is just ridiculous; why does Sheraton actually charge for this?
2) This Sheraton needs safes in each room; anything less is unacceptable. My locked TSA luggage lock was visibly damaged and rendered unusable during my stay and I can only assume that someone was tampering with it while I was out.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
As a return guest to the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, we truly appreciate you sharing your review with us. Our mult-million dollar upgrade has brought many exciting changes to our property including our lobby’s Link@Sheraton, which offers complimentary wireless Internet for our guests to enjoy. For any inconveniences that you experienced with our services, we sincerely apologize. While traveling with valuable items, we encourage our guests to take advantage of our safe deposit boxes that are available at our front desk and regret if these guest services were not made clear to you at the time of your visit. Thank you for sharing your updated review and we hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again.
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

This Sheraton was originally not on my list of places to stay, solely based on the inconsistent reviews. I own a time share with the Starwood company so I figured I should embrace the company I am paying for. This Sheraton was a nice surprise. I originally wanted a water view, but glad I elected for the city view, as I had a great view of the holiday parade. This staff was pleasant, accommodating and even followed up with a complaint of cigarette smoke from another room. This was a comfortable and very pleasant stay. Be mindful that valet is expensive, but then again parking anywhere within a city limit will be expensive. Enjoy the location, a few blocks from the mall and great shops, and the local treats.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We are delighted to have been able to exceed your expectations upon your arrival and truly appreciate you sharing your impressions of your stay. You certainly visited at a great time, as the holiday parade is always a favorite event here in Norfolk! As a smoke-free property, we truly regret any inconveniences you may have experienced though we’re glad that our staff was able to quickly resolve any issues to ensure the best possible experience. While we do find that our parking rates are comparable to our area, keep in mind that self-parking is available for a small fee. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

have to say the view wasnt bad. extremely overpriced, poor parking, a restaurant that needs tobe condemmed.
room had a tiny fridge that was sitting in the floor. Mattress about as comfortable as a bale of straw.
wi-fi is $9 a day extra. adjacent to a defunct mall, 1.5 blocks to parking, which is an extra $13 a day (only $8 if you are starwood preferred guest)
tiny room, small bathroom and noisy

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonNorfolk, General Manager at Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
While your feedback is always welcome, it's disappointing to learn that you weren't satisfied with your stay. For any inconveniences that you experienced with our parking and accommodations, we apologize. It is never our intention for our guests to receive anything less than a comfortable stay and we hope that next time you will notify us immediately of any concerns. As a convenience for our guests, complimentary Wi-Fi is available in our lobby and we also offer valet parking. While we never like to read when a guest hasn't fully enjoyed their visit, we always appreciate the feedback and would like to thank you for sharing your review.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel. My room was modern, clean and comfortable. I also loved the balcony overlooking the water. However the walls and doors in the room were paper thin! I stayed at this hotel on a Friday night so I understand that guests are going to be out late, but I was woken up by every conversation in the hall.

If you are planning to stay here on a week night, or are a hard sleeper, I'd say go for it! You will probably love the otherwise gorgeous hotel. But if you value your sleep, especially on weekends you may want to consider a different option.

Room Tip: As far away from the elevator as possible
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
While we appreciate you sharing your kind description about the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel, we truly regret if any noises disturbed your rest. Understandably, you were frustrated at this time and we wish we could have had the opportunity to address this concern during your visit. We hope you'll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to provide you with the peaceful stay you deserve. Thank you.
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Rooms are basic quality; top floor concierge room initially provided would be much better if it had a balcony instead of a window that faced the lovely river view but could not even be opened...not great in the way of amenities or service; especially since I identified myself as a Starwood Preferred Member at the PLATINUM LEVEL. Took several days/attempts to get moved to a quieter room, and it finally did not happen until the last night of my stay. Still, in general this is a nice hotel with very comfortable beds, great location and lovely bath amenities (the loofah bath puffs in the bathroom are an excellent added plus with nice bath gel provided as well). I would still recommend giving it a try, especially compared with other hotels in the area. Great concierge level lounge breakfast if access is provided on 10th floor.

Room Tip: Very thin walls, especially with adjoining rooms; try for one of the secluded rooms on the first flo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel. As a SPG Platinum member, we truly regret any inconveniences that you experienced with your accommodations and apologize for the length of time it took to relocate you. While it's disappointing that you weren't fully satisfied with all areas of your stay, we're glad that you enjoyed our extra amenities in our bathroom and truly appreciate your recommendation. Since more than half of our rooms and suites feature a private balcony, we hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to provide you with the perfect accommodations for next time. Thank you.

Been to Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel? Share your experiences!