“Second Time Not as Good as First Time” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norfolk Airport

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norfolk Airport to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norfolk Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1500 North Military Highway, Norfolk, VA 23502-1813 (Formerly Hilton Norfolk Airport)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Enjoy 5,000 Bonus Points
Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Ashburn, VA
“Second Time Not as Good as First Time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I stayed in room 631 on two separate occasions, just one month apart. The first time was very good, and there were no issues with the room or the hotel. The second time, I was surprised to get the same room, and even more surprised at the condition of the room and the hotel. The room was not ready by 4:00 pm. I found a dirty towel hanging on the back of the bathroom door, and the bathroom floor was so dirty I used my foot to wipe it with a wet hand towel. The toilet was not sealed tightly to the floor and moved when sat on. There were food crumbs on the desk and desk chair. One of the lamp shades was torn open. The battery in the remote control was dead. The hotel seemed surprised when I told them that one of the elevator doors would not open at all on the six floor. I was trapped in that elevator on the six floor, had to go back down to the fifth floor, wait for the other elevator to take me back up to 6. There are no stairs available to use unless you want to set off the fire alarm. For 24 hours that elevator was still not working on the sixth floor, and no sign was posted. Upon leaving the hotel room I spent 15 minutes playing with the elevator buttons to get the working elevator to come up to 6. I was really frustrated.

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Please keep in mind I travel every week for work. 3 nights in a hotel on average, mostly Hiltons. I don't normally put up reviews, but had to so that other travelers don't encounter what I have.

The employees here are friendly. Couldn't be nicer. The problem is that their systems, computers, etc don't work.

I checked in, but the key machine wasn't working so I sat in the lobby for 15 minutes. Instead of keeping me waiting they walked me into the room to wait until the machine was fixed.

The biggest problem was the internet. It barely worked the entire visit. To make this problem worse, cell service is horrible here as well. I know that the cell issue is not necessarily the hotels, but with the internet being so bad it doesn't help.

If you don't need internet or cell service you will enjoy your stay. If you need either I highly recommend staying away. Just a thought from a Hilton Diamond member and big Hilton fan.

Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have stayed at several Doubletree Hotels for business, and this one was by far the worst. When I arrived there was a line of 10 people waiting to check in. I will say they passed out water and cookies while we waited, which was considerate. I didn't have a room service menu in my room, so I called down for one to be sent up. After 25 minutes of unsuccessful waiting, I went downstairs to the restaurant Max & Ermas, waited for 10 minutes for someone to seat me, and finally gave up and decided on room service. I called room service again frustrated, which is where it all turned around. Thor answered and apologized, and within minutes he was at my door with a menu. I was starving at this point, so he was kind enough to wait and take my order so he could put it in right away. He apologized several times for the service I experienced earlier in the night. After 30 minutes, he was at my door with my food, and even called 30 minutes later to check in to see if I was happy with dinner. Thor is the reason this review went from being a 2 to a 3, he provided excellent customer service!

Room Tip: Thin walls!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I travel often for work, and am a HiltonHonors Gold member. When possible, I prefer to stay at a Hilton hotel, as they are consistent with great customer service and cleanliness!

My coworker, Carol, and I arrived late after bad weather delayed our flights and a series of mishaps with lost luggage. We were greeted by smiling faces at check-in and those phenomenal cookies. (Carol demolished hers within 5 seconds- "THAT was the best cookie EVER!")

Okay, so the rooms are not at Conrad status (anyone who has ever stayed at a Conrad knows what I mean), but they were clean and comfortable. Free wi-fi and mini-fridge (which are a rarity nowadays at other hotels). The hotel gym was small, but had pretty good equipment with towels and a water cooler. While I did not utilize the pools, there seemed to be quite a few who enjoyed them. I ate breakfast every day at Max & Erma's, which had quite a good variety (with an omelette/waffle station). The staff in M & E's became like family- we also ate there a few times for dinner, and everything was delicious! The front desk personnel are amazing, and provided us with many cookies during our stay! (I am not going to lie- this did make up for it not being a Conrad with a waterfall shower...) The housekeeping staff was pretty amazing, too- it is so nice to return "home" at the end of the day and find your room spotless, coffee stock replenished, clean bedding (I swear they changed it every day!) and a note telling you to have a good day! My coworker, too, was pleased with her room and accommodations- she had nothing negative at all to say- it may have been based on her fondness for those cookies!

It is an older hotel. But the staff really goes out of their way to maintain it!

This was definitely a great place to stay for 2 weeks for business! Fantastic location (close to the interstate and close to the airport), but that was based on me. If I was on holiday, though, I'd probably book closer to VA Beach, as it is a drive... But definitely perfect for the business traveler!

I will give Hilton a high-5- they always make me feel like family no matter where in the world (literally) I go!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a hotel close to VA Beach, this is not the one. But if you are a business tr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Virginia Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nice stay...Beverly from house keeping left a nice little note which always adds a personal touch to the experience. I chose this hotel because it was close, almost within walking distance to my place of business and centrally located to my evening entertainment and meal excursions. Would have preferred a complimentary breakfast as part of the room rate, but one cannot have everything.

Arizona City, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

A very nice stay. Room and Hotel were both very clean and quiet. The front desk staff as well as the shuttle driver very friendly and helpful. Convenient to airport. Will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
DellE1992, Executive Assistant at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectation. We look forward to having you as a guest in the near future.
Aylett, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had to give a poor review for service because of one individual at the front desk. The lady checking me in was wonderful but another lady at the front desk was very rude. She practically barked out that check in was not until 4 after I told the lady that was checking me in that I would prefer not to be on the first floor. It was 3:25 at the time and I would not have a problem waiting if I had to. I felt like asking the rude woman if I should go drive around the parking lot until 4. I have talked to the manager about this person so maybe things will improve. I have stayed at this hotel before and until this one episode things have been great. Everyone else with the staff were very kind and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Norfolk Airport? Share your experiences!