“6 visits and finally a review” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #16 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Moneta, Virginia
“6 visits and finally a review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Every September since 2008 I’ve stayed at this hotel as part of a Navy reunion group. Everything has always been fine, but I’ve never written a review until now. The rooms are clean and comfortable. WiFi is fast and reliable and the included hot breakfast contains all items anyone could want. When all tables were full at breakfast, guests were directed to an alternate area in the lobby and then to a meeting room. There’s a nice indoor pool and a small fitness room.
However, sometimes things go wrong and one measure of a hotel is how the problems are handled. In the middle of the night my bathroom floor was being flooded by water flowing through the light fixture in the ceiling. I notified reception. They apologized, moved me to another room and did not charge me for the night.
The next morning as I made coffee in the room I noticed the desk was wet. There was a crack in the reservoir and the water was leaking out. Another call to reception referred me to the coffee available in the lobby while they secured a new coffee pot for me.
That afternoon I returned to my room to discover that the toilet wouldn’t flush. I was beginning to think I was jinxed. After all, it was Friday 13th, but none of my reunion mates were having any problems at all.
Maintenance fixed the toilet problem quickly and there were no other problems after that. While it may seem odd to see an excellent review that lists a series of problems, I was pleased with the speed with which the problems were resolved. My final bill included a charge for the room safe. This charge was removed when I mentioned that I didn’t use it or even realize it was there.
Sometimes stuff happens and the response of the staff makes all the difference in how the hotel is perceived. Good job!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments and for staying with us. It does sound like Friday the 13th.
However, I am glad to hear that our staff responded quickly to your needs and you enjoyed your visit. Again, thanks and we look forward to seeing you again next year, not on Friday the 13th.

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My teenage son and I were looking for an inexpensive place to stay the night after a concert at the Farm Bureau Live arena. This hotel was is about 15 minutes from the arena. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was small but clean and we had no complaints.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we are glad you enjoyed your visit with us.We appreciate you taking the time to comment and hope to see you again.
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The rooms were clean and smelled good and the staff were all nice. But, We stayed on the first floor and boy was I ready to leave the next day. The walls were thin & a lot of people were in & out of there rooms in the hall being extremely loud. I would probably consider staying there again if they had security to sweep the halls & assure everyone gets a good nights rest. I wondered if it would've been more quite on the other floors but we needed a non smoking room. At check in we received free breakfast tickets for the next morning but I was so ready to get outa there, that we just passed on that & went to IHOP.

Room Tip: If you want a peaceful nights sleep...Maybe a room on the upper floors or at the end of the hall far...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments we appreciate you taking the time. We apologize your stay was disrupted by noise in the hotel. While that can be a problem from time to time, especially on the last summer weekend, it is not always the case. We hope you will give us another chance to be you hosts. Perhaps you will be able to take advantage of our full hot breakfast this time. Thanks again for visiting.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I've stayed here twice. The rooms are average. The room on the third floor was a little worse. The entire hallway smelled of smoke. There may have been smoking at the other end of the wing. I just don't understand why you have smoking and non-smoking rooms on the same floor. If that's not the case, someone smoked in the hall. It was really strong. I asked for an extension of an hour until noon. It was given. Cleaning people came pounding on my door at 11:15 asking if I was checking out or not. The breakfast is shared with the Quality Inn so it was packed. I was unable to get a seat.

Room Tip: Go to breakfast early or you won't get a seat.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you taking the time to comment on your stay. We apologize that someone was smoking in your area, this has been a problem from time to time that sometimes can we stop but we can't catch them all unfortunately. Yes, the free hot breakfast is very popular and timing is everything. On weekends we open an additional seat area but during the week it is all about timing. This is an issue that is always under review and we appreciate your feed back. Thanks for staying with us we hope to see you again.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

A really nice hotel with helpful and smiley staff. The rooms are spacious enough and clean. Very well maintained and everything was working. There is also a restaurant downstairs where you can eat if you like and the food is not bad. The waitress are really friendly and nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments and for staying with us. We appreciate you taking time to comment on your stay. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Coarsegold, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a good choice for an overnight stay near the airport. The staff is very friendly and efficient, the room clean with all the essentials, the breakfast buffet was good. We had dinner in the restaurant and were pleasantly surprised with the quality of food/price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments we appreciate your patronage. We apologize for the road work at our entrance, as with most things like that we are at the mercy of the city and their contractors.
Thanks for your support, we hope to see you again soon.
Clermont, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel several times in the past, but it has been a while since our last visit. I find they have made a few improvements since our last time there. The rooms seemed cleaner. I was welcomed as a Choice Privilege Platinum member with 2 bottles of water and 2 bags of potato chips (nice gesture). The have a very nice breakfast buffet set up, but it was so crowded (including the overflow room), that I had to bring my food back to the room.

There is no shopping or places to eat within a reasonable walking distance from the hotel, so the restaurant in the hotel is an option for eating. There is much road construction going on outside the hotel. The entrance has changed since our last trip. You are now taken along a wide loop (beside the golf course) just to get to the room. The driveway is bumpy and had potholes.

All-in-all it is a pleasant place to stay, with reasonable rates (considering the season).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you noted breakfast is very busy, especially on the weekend. We do open addition seating but that doesn't always solve the problem when 400 people all decide to eat at the same time. Sometimes the only fix is patience. Thank you for yours. The new entry the city created is still a work in progress that we hope will finish soon. Again thanks for the kind words, we hope to see you return.

Been to Sleep Inn Lake Wright? Share your experiences!