“Great value but noisy air conditioning” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Reston, Virginia
“Great value but noisy air conditioning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Knowing that I was going to be arriving late and leaving fairly early on a recent family trip to the Norfolk area, my primary concern was cost whilst looking for somewhere that served a decent breakfast. On those two factors alone, this Sleep Inn deserves 5 stars. It compares very well with other local hotels at the same price point ($85) and the breakfast is excellent given that it is the usual minimal style buffet lay out - at least equivalent to a Hampton Inn for those of you familiar with that brand.

The rooms were fine but you need to acept that the rooms with two beds are twins, not queens. The beds are not big enough to sleep two adults if you have more than 2 in a room, so expect to be cramped with two in the bed or go with two rooms for 3 or more. My wife's parents had two in a King bed so obviously no problem there.

My biggest beef was the aircon. My son wanted me to turn it off as it was so noisy when it kicked in but August in Virginia is not a good nights sleep without aircon. We left it on and guess what, we were all woken up every hour or so when the aircon came on so the quality of sleep was poor anyway.

This hotel is pretty well run (you can tell by the fact that the manager takes the time to respond to the comments) and good value. Shame about the noisy air conditioining.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with less A/C noise. Another comment said higher floors have less A/C nois...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your comments, we are glad you stayed with us. You are correct, when it is in the 90's, the air conditioners do work over time. For those of us who have central air at home it is difficult for some to ignore the unit coming on all night long. We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast, it is our full hot buffet that we share with our Quality Suites. Thanks again for you comments, hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bedford, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was a little leery about this place when I read the reviews but all in all it was fine, we only stayed over night but it was comfortable and clean.

You get tickets to enjoy a full breakfast but my boyfriend and I just went out because the lines for the food were very long and we needed to get on the road.

I'd stay again if I am forced to come back to the area :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your comments. We do try to meet all our guests needs. I would guess you were here on a weekend and I must apologize for the breakfast wait. We serve our full breakfast from 7-10am on the weekends, but with no hurry; many, many of our guest wait until 9:30. Weekends at Virginia Beach without lines or waits is norm. We continue to work on ways to accommodate our guests better on a daily basis. We do hope you visit us again, we appreciate you staying with us.
elizabeth city, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We live about 90 minutes away, so trying to catch a 5 am flight to the west coast (or returning at midnight and having to be at work the next day) is practically impossible if we do not stay near the airport. That's why we stay here regularly. The room is always clean and comfortable.

They have a park and fly package, which saves the airport parking fee. Just tell the desk when you check in what time you need the shuttle to the terminal, and they will take you for free. They will pick you up when you return.

The rooms can be small, but not cramped. The free breakfast consists of muffins, bagels, etc, with fruit and yogurt. And I have occasionally been awakened by other guests, but that happens in $300 motels. It is not the Waldorf-Astoria, and it doesn't claim to be. Norfolk is home to the world's largest navy base, so there can be lots of military and their families coming and going. And people stay here in the summer rather than paying twice the rate at Virginia Beach.

Overall, it is a good value for the money, and it is very convenient for our purposes.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Randy C, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for staying with us, we are glad you enjoyed your visit and our full hot breakfast usually not found at a Sleep Inn. Join us again, we appreciate your business.
Ferrum, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Had a wonderful stay! The hotel was clean, staff extremely pleasant,courteous and professional. Had issues with the room safe not working, reported it and maintenance was quick to repair it. With temperatures in the triple digits my entire stay, on the second day, AC unit was not working properly in my room and again maintenance was called and came up in an appropriate time. The problem was not able to be resolved,and I requested a room change, which was handled swiftly! Thank you!!! I enjoyed the breakfast menu also, food was good! Lenore is wonderful and does an excellent job!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your visit and your kind words. We hope to see you again in the future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Arrived around 10 pm, Friday, June 15, 2012 to a busy front desk but the line was quickly handled for easy check-in booked online. The room was compact yet felt spacious. Being pet friendly I was able to take my grand dog who was visiting with me. Everything was clean with nice room amenities including a frig and safe. Plenty of hot water. Pillows fluffy and plentiful. The hot buffet breakfast was a nice surprise with plenty of options for all. We didn't get the chance to try the pool but it was inviting, completely covered. Our time in the hotel was short but we wouldn't hesitate to return. Value for the dollar was good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you staying with us, we appreciate your comments and hope to see you agan.
Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Expensive place to stay, had to have my sheets changes once I got there as there was hair on them. Real turn off but no place to go because it was prepaid in advance. Lots of noise in the halls. Place was sold out, coffee room was very dirty, business room was without a/c and the internet did not work. Would not stay there again, probably keep my $100 plus dollars and sleep in the car, would of beena better value expecially with the sheets..

Room Tip: Lots of noise on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Sleep Inn Lake Wright, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
We are indeed sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We are glad we were able to fix the problem with your bedding and we did get the Internet, that was knock out by storms, repaired on Saturday. This was a very busy weekend for every hotel near a beach and though we may try we do not always please everyone all the time. Again, thanks for your comments, we learn to do better by them.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

When I arrived on Friday June 22, 2012 there were a lot of people outside and in the lobby so I had high hopes, but as I waited to even get a room at 6pm the people in the lobby seemed to get louder and louder and they weren't leaving as I initially thought. Once I was finally given a room I walked in the room and immediately took the floral bedspreads off the beds, those types of bedspreads are usually not cleaned daily, weekly, or monthly. Then I walked over to the sink to find 4 ants crawling around in the sink, that I killed. After that I also saw another ant crawling on the night stand. I went to the front desk and asked if the hotel had a history of ants. I was asked if I wanted another room by the front desk representative that was at the desk at the moment, but then the front desk representative that checked me in initially informed that there wasn't another room with two beds available and she offered to bring down a can of ant spray. She indeed brought down the spray and that evening, when more ants were spotted, I sprayed the entire perimeter of the room and around each bed.

Besides the ants the room was clean, but the walls were paper thin. I could hear the TV, clearly, in the next room. My sister could even hear my shoes as I walked down the hallway.

Upon checkout my sister informed the front desk representative on duty of our ant situation. She was very apologetic and informed us that they had been doing well at keeping the ants under control over the last few months. As a result she gave us a discount on the room. All in all not the worst hotel stay I have had, but defiantly not the best!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments, they are important to us. The ants had been controlled by our pest control contractor up until we had day after day of temperatures in the 90's and almost a full hotel every day. They are working on it as I type. As for the crowds I can only say, it is one of the busiest weekend of the year and fortunately we were full. We do appreciate you comments and do hope you visit again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
Northwest Virginia Beach
Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk Airport
Red Roof Inn Virginia Beach - No...
#33 of 114 in Virginia Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 202 reviews

Been to Sleep Inn Lake Wright? Share your experiences!