“People Should Be Paid to Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Economy Inn Ocean View Navel Base to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Economy Inn Ocean View Navel Base
9601 4th View St., Norfolk, VA 23503 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn Ocean View)   |
Ranked #37 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Ash, United Kingdom
“People Should Be Paid to Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here when we were in Norfolk. The room was clean and basic with a king size bed that hurt our back (due to it being a spring bed), the outside of the hotel (i.e. walkways, stairways, etc) were really run down. It reminded me of what an apartment complex dealing with serious drug addicts would look like. The area that it's in isn't exactly the safest part of Norfolk nor is it the most dangerous but there is gang activity in that area (despite the fact that an elementary school/primary school) is just across the road.

It' a shame as well because it's literally just off of I-64, the beach is literally across the road; there are places to eat in that area and yet, the hotel itself is absolute crap. They claim to do breakfast as well - where? There's no room. The front desk isn't inviting either - it looked like it was built in the late 1970s to early 1980s and stayed like that. There was even an option to "rent" movies -- on VHS tapes! Plus loads of dust and dirty windows.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This place is a real dump. The sheets were clean, but the bed spread was gross and not washed. The carpet in the room was filthy. The tub and shower stall were not cleaned because I found a dried up half piece of soap on one of the soap trays. That being said, I WILL stay here again. It is cheap and right across the street from a beautiful clean and quiet beach on the bay. There is a fun, friendly bar right across the street with good food and a nice fishing pier with a restaurant. It's also within walking distance of a strip mall with a grocery store. The hotel allows dogs and has a fridge and microwave which were clean. There were no bed bugs. The hotel was quiet and I didn't see any suspicious characters or loud partiers. I will bring my own blanket next time and throw their duvet on the floor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We checked in walked up the stairs beer bottles and partying everywhere. Lady at front was the rudest person ever. The hallways smelled like urine . We never even made it to the room because of the disgust. So we went straight back downstairs to get our money back and they refused. Said they have a no refund policy which is not stated anywhere. By far the worst experience ever. Found the holiday inn express and it was great and cheaper. The manager was even called and the only response we got was he would come check it out. Really!! You see the place all the time people pee in the hallways? Less than partially clothed people standing around being lOud . We ask for checkout papers since they wouldn't refund our money cz they charge if you don't return the key, and the refused that too. You people really need to get your stuff together. Feel sorry for those who , like us didn't check the website first. :(

• Stayed July 2012
Butler, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We were happy with the price that we found online and decided it seemed like a decent place to stay. After a 10 hour drive we were ready to relax in our bed, sadly this hotel looked cruddy, just driving up to it. I convinced my husband to give it a chance (after all, it could have been a diamond in the rough like some others we had visited). I walked into the office and it smelled terrible of tobacco smoke. The lady behind the desk seemed disgruntle that I had intruded in on her vacuuming. Instead of a warm welcome, she said "You need something?" when I asked her for a room, she let out a long sigh and said "we dont like taking people this early" and seemed truly upset by me being there. As she stood there typing on her computer (with one hand on her hip might I add) I noticed the fly strips hanging around the back. I then told her I apologized but I planned on staying someplace else (which she proceeded to roll her eyes at me). Thankfully I got outta there before I gave her any of my money. Dont be fooled by what seems like a good price, its right next to the "projects" and reflects filth in all of its surroundings.

Room Tip: There is no such thing as a "good room" here
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011 via mobile

!This was the worst hotel that I've ever stayed in. Is no longer Econo lodge it is now Americas Best Value Inn, and it is still terrible. The rooms are filthy, tub was so dirty I used cleaning supplies that I had and you could just see the dirt, and hair from someone else in the tub and sink. Some old grumpy lady at front desk (she refused to give me her name) was very rude when I went to ask for more rags and towels, was told that she didnt have anymore. I explained that my tub was dirty and she replied they all are. Pillows were stained and comforters reeked because they hadnt been washed. Have reported to Better Business B. This really made this my worst vacation ever!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011
Jasvant D, Manager at Economy Inn Ocean View Navel Base, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Dear Pisces84,

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion of Americas Best Value Inn-Ocean View. I sincerely apologize for any negative experience you encountered with housekeeping during your stay. The tubs you are referring to are vinyl and tan in color. Alot of times our guests mistaken this as a sign of filth. In actuality, they are not dirty at all. We pride ourselves in running a good establishment and try our best to make each and every stay an enjoyable experience. We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Jasvant-Manager
Americas Best Value Inn-Norfolk, VA

Been to Economy Inn Ocean View Navel Base? Share your experiences!