“great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
hopemills, United States
“great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

When I stay at a Hampton I'm never disappointed. The only thing I didn't like about this stay was that I didn't have a fridge in my room. I found out that only the king rooms have fridges. I'll be back because my son is stationed there at Norfolk Naval Station.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Oviedo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have pretty high standards of cleanliness when it comes to staying in hotels. Although I view online reviews with guarded skepticism, I decided to select this hotel for my first business trip to the Norfolk Naval Base. Luckily, the positive reviews for this hotel were true. In December I was scheduled for a second trip to the Norfolk Naval Base. Choosing this hotel for my second stay was a no-brainer. Although it appears to be an older hotel, it is very clean and a well-maintained property. The staff is very courteous and helpful and will greet you with a smile and ask if they can help you with anything. The breakfast bar has a good selection of hot and cold food items. With the location being as close as you can get to the naval base without actually being on base, it's perfect!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Nokesville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

great stay, good friendly staff, a great breakfast, nice neighbors, good location close to fast food restaurants and shopping center. We will be staying here again on our next visit to Norfolk. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Let me just start off by saying.... There was NO excuse for our experience. Upon arrival, everything seemed really nice. The lobby looks newly decorated, there was coffee/tea available, check-in was very quick and efficient, and you couldn't beat the convenient location. We rented a King Room with a Whirlpool (the "best" room they have). But, as soon as we walked in the room, I literally gagged. It was supposed to be a non-smoking room, but it smelled like it had been rented by chain-smokers every day for the last 5 years. It wasn't just an aroma, it had seeped into the carpets, mattress, and even the bathroom (where it's all tile and plastic) reeked. I sprayed some strong eau de parfum all over the carpets, bed and bathroom but even THAT couldn't cover the smell. I called the front desk and asked them if we had been accidentally been put in a smoking room but I had been reassured it was a non-smoking floor. I asked if we could be moved rooms (and trust me, as military personnel, I am NOT one to complain, I'll take a rock-hard floor and say "thank you.") They said that there was an equivalent room available the next day and we could be moved, so we reluctantly agreed because it was too late at night to find another hotel.

But as this one night went on, the nastiness came out. The floor wasn't even VACUUMED, there was MOLD next to the fridge (and I'm not talking in tiny nooks and crannies that are hard to clean, I am talking in PLAIN SIGHT), there were stains all up the walls, the whirlpool was missing the air-jet button (so the only reason we paid SO much- the whirlpool- wasn't even operational... we found the button later that evening on the back of the toilet. There was dust or dead skin clumps and hair trapped on the suction screen of the whirlpool, and the structure tiling was falling apart- the tiles were completely separated and the caulking was cracked away. Now, to the bed.... The actual bed and linens would have been great, if they didn't absolutely stink. I tried so hard to just get over it and sleep. But neither of us could get past it. We got up in the morning with terrible stuffy noses and headaches.

At least the towels were clean and we had hot water.

The next morning, we couldn't get the other room we were promised would be open, and we were given the option to down grade. They still insisted it was a non-smoking room and the smell had to be due to the room below us being a smoking room and the ventilation blows it in to our room- what kind of excuse is that???? What were they thinking when they made that smoking/non-smoking room placement decision?? How was it OK that the floor wasn't even vacuumed?? We had had enough. We were already packed so we just left.

I couldn't believe it. I read all the reviews on this property and thought we were making an awesome decision. Maybe we did just get a dud room. But in the hotel business, hell in ANY business, it is not OK to offer anything as bad as this and still charge money.

• Stayed November 2013
Princeton, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Of all the rooms I have stayed in, in the past. This room is pretty much like the rest. It had a bed, TV, desk, toilet and shower. As well as all these amenities it was furnished with an unstocked minifridge. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but it worked.That is all.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Why, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This hotel is great! The rooms are clean and the breakfast was good (which is free)! The staff there is awesome!Penny at the front desk was a charm with her warm and sweet personality and the housekeepers made sure to speak to you when you're in the hall. Whenever im in Norfolk I will stay hear! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed November 2013
Bowman, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights to visit my sailor and to go apartment shopping. The hotel is very clean and located near fast food resturants and a grocery store. The room I initally reserved to not come equipped with a microwave (needed to warm babies bottles) but housekeeping went out of their way to provide one to us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Been to Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base? Share your experiences!