“Convenient to the Norfolk Naval Base” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8501 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23505-1009   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Quinton, Virginia
“Convenient to the Norfolk Naval Base”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

As in, right next door practically! This is an older HI, but well maintained, operated, and staffed. Rooms are typical HI, clean, nice bathrooms, free internet, good choice of TV channels. Hotel is surrounded by fast food outlets -- you'll have to go a bit further afield if you're looking for a more upscale restaurant. Nice staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This is an average place to stay, but is overpriced. Even with the AAA discount it is not worth the money you pay. If this was a $79 room I would have given it the best rating, but because of the price paid - I was very disappointed.
Pros: - the staff have all been wonderful, friendly and helpful. The bathroom was clean (except for a few spots in the shower); the bed sheets were clean.
Cons: the rugs and furniture are a bit outdated but appeared fairy clean.
I am traveling with a teenage daughter and I felt safe, the location looks a bit intimidating but I think that’s the Naval Base feel. We were close to the college & Ruby Tuesdays.
Final Note: this is probably the cheapest hotel in the area, which is sad to say because the area does not rate the high prices.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New Bern, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Had some business near the Navy Base in Norfolk and decided to stay here because it was convenient. It is a very basic place to stay but was clean and comfortable. The staff were all very courteous and quick to answere questions about the local area. The proximity to fast food and a Ruby Tuesday made walking to dinner easy.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Located right outside the gates to the base. The hotel is a bit old, I think the lobby is updated. Breakfast was good. Super friendly staff. Slowest elevator ever though. I would stay there again

• Stayed May 2012
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Nice Hampton in but all rooms don't have fridges and microwaves like most Hampton Inns. Small gym with with dumbbells and cardio machines, so it serves the purpose. Quick eats in the area (Ruby Tuesday, P-Hut, fast food) but nothing special. I would stay here more often but can't get it on Priceline.com (end up out in Oeanview). See it often through Hotwire.com but better values a little farther away. Would love to work out a deal with them, though.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Shenandoah, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

I will start out by saying that I will probably stay here again. My boss likes their rates. I have stayed here several times over the past few weeks. One time the a/c pan overfilled and got my laptop case and luggage wet as it made the floor wet. They gave me a free night for that. Sounds fair. When there for my free night I was sitting in the lobby at around 1am when a man with a gun was walking around. turns out it was the police. They told the night auditor to come inside. So he did!!! I went back to my room to see 4 police cars and 6 officers going through the parking lot looking for someone!!! Not very safe!!!! The service is amazing though!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure your car is locked and show no valuables in plain site.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
HamptonInnNNB, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you Remva77 for your review of our hotel. We appreciate your continued loyalty to the Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base. I am also pleased to see that of your many visits to Norfolk, you have experienced isolated incidents which are not typical of our hotel. As part of the 100% Hampton Guarantee we were delighted to offer a complimentary stay due to the water damaged caused by the a/c unit and will continue to offer it should you encounter another issue. We also appreciate you reporting the issue so that we could send maintenance to service the unit that same day.
As a manager, I heard about the police being on property Sunday morning. To ease your mind, one of our regular guests contacted the police for a noise complaint. His neighbors apologized and all parties happily returned to their nights. I imagine not much happens on Sunday mornings for Norfolk PD, which is why so many responded. When talking with guests at breakfast Sunday morning, even those on the same floor, and asking about noise, no one reported having a problem. I'd like to take a moment to thank both the guests involved, Norfolk PD, and our outstanding night clerk for being reasonable adults and settling their disputes in a manner of what we expect from our Hampton Inn Guests and staff.
We look forward to your next visit at the Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base and hope you will continue to express your opinions of the hotel so we can continue to improve.
Best Wishes,
Barbara Barrington,
Director of Sales
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Slightly worn, but clean, terrific indoor great pool area, polite, responsive, well trained staff always sounded prediposed to help.

Cons: Challenging location, little if any decent food nearby, no free weights in fitness center, limited breakfast for a Hampton Inn.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you, Variedtraveler, for your review of the Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base. As a 20-year old property we are constantly working to update our product. In fact our lobby was just renovated this past June. Our rooms are only 5-years old but per Hampton standards hotel rooms are typically updated every 5 years so we expect to be included on the next round of renovations.
I am surprised by your review of the fitness room as that too was just recently renovated and includes not only top of the line Precor Elliptical, Treadmill, and Stationary Bike, but also a free weight set with over 13 sets of weights ranging from 5 – 50 lbs. We also have 5 weighted medicine balls, a yoga mat, and balance ball for all your strength training needs which were all added back in June 2011.
I also wish that you were more specific regarding the limited breakfast and hope that you will share with me the specific situation. We follow Hampton Standards strictly which makes me wonder if items were just not being replenished in a timely manner.
Thank you again for your review and we look forward to your next visit to Norfolk.

Best Wishes,
Barbara Barrington
Director of Sales
Barbara.barrington@hilton.com

Been to Hampton Inn Norfolk Naval Base? Share your experiences!