“Not Impressed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base to your Saves list
Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8051 Hampton Blvd., Norfolk, VA 23505 (Formerly Comfort Inn Norfolk Naval Station)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #28 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Titusville, Pennsylvania
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The particular room we stayed in was pretty disgusting. Both beds had cigarette burns on the blanket and one of the beds had blood stains on the sheet and blanket and when we tried to address it with the front desk we were brushed off for apparently more important customers and nothing was ever done about it as promised. Thank goodness we had some blankets of our own to use in the car! There was also blood stains all over the carpet and bathroom floor, don't even wanna think about what might have happened in this room! The carpets were just dirty in general, glad I had my slippers, this isn't the type of place you can walk around barefoot. All of the surfaces in the room were also filthy we spent an hour when we got there just cleaning up the room to make it somewhat livable. The refrigerator was cracked inside and pretty dirty as well. The front desk didn't seem to understand that we had three people in the room and needed more than 2 towels and 2 wash clothes a day so we had to go take towels from the swimming area. Also the "hot tub" that is advertised on their website is non-existent. Definitely NOT worth $100 a night, maybe $30, very disappointed, we would have loved to stay somewhere else but unfortunately everything other hotel within a 30 mile radius was booked. Won't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here bring blankets and sheets from home and a pair of slippers.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1QualityGM, General Manager at Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
We apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We try to correct any and all issues at the time they are reported to us. I will certainly look for a room with such issues; I will also try and find the website that advertises a hot tub.

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

This place got worse the longer we stayed! I was surprised to see outside corridors. I would not have stayed here if I had known. The room smelled of mold, the shower has mold around it, the light fixture in the bathroom was loose, and the wall had cracks in it and water damage. I made my reservations online, got an extra bed. Wasn't aware that there was a cost. When the staff dropped off the roll-out bed to my room they said not one word. Just dropped it off and took off. The next morning the staff had to let me in to the gym because it is co-located with pool and the pool wasn't yet open. I had to wait while she checked in other people before she could let me in the gym. Then breakfast shuts down at 9am but it's posted behind the check-in desk that it closes at 10am. I arrived at 8:50am for breakfast. While waiting in line for 10 minutes for waffles, the batter runs out. I asked the staff to refill it and she says "breakfast ends at 9am" even though she saw me in line waiting!!!! After complaining, she did refill it.
Several people with kids came after 9am to find no breakfast but the staff did accommodate them because they knew the breakfast times weren't made clear. When I advised the staff of this, they explained that the night staff may have briefed that breakfast was 6-9, they just may have said it too fast. Wrong! I hate that I wasted my hard earned points for this hotel!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1QualityGM, General Manager at Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your candid review. I am investigating the circumstances of your stay. I certainly wish we could have corrected the issues you had at the time of your stay had we been aware. I do apologize that we did not provide you with a satisfactory stay. The issues you have pointed out will be corrected immediately.
Hoboken
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I had originally booked the Days Inn in Norfolk, which was completely disgusting , but i imminently booked a room at the Quality Inn just minutes of my arrival, and i was completely satisfied with my stay, they accommodated me at last minute which is a huge plus!
The room smelled nice and clean ,
The beds were comfortable , made neatly and clean,
The bathrooms were mold and bug free,
I would recommend this hotel to anyone! its worth the money you pay !

Room Tip: rooms on top floor are much quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We work very hard to make each and every guests stay comfortable. I hope we see you again soon.
West River
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The reasons we stay at this location is because, #1 we are choice hotel members, #2 it is only one and a half miles from Norfolk Naval Air Station Gate we enter. We have two family members that come in and out of the Navy Base at different times.
To our dismay after the first stay we found out if you do not smoke you are charged a higher rate. So much said for Non-Smokers. This hotel condones people smoking by giving them cheaper rates. In our home state of Maryland you can not smoke in hotels.
The front desk was very pleasant and our room was ready when we arrived earlier then the check in time. Other then our room needing new carpet it was clean and plenty of towels. The breakfast was good, hot and ready when we arrived for breakfast in the morning.
Again, expect to pay more if you are a NON-Smoker.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1QualityGM, Manager at Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We rely on our guest’s feedback to improve each and every day. We enjoyed having you stay with us and hope to meet you and your family again.
Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

After a long drive and a lengthy checkin, I collapsed in bed. At 5 minutes past midnight a call from the front desk awakened me. The caller told me that my room had not been charged to a credit card and that I would have come to the front desk to charge it properly. I told her I would not get dressed and come to the front desk, but I would clear it up in the morning, and furthermore, I did not like being rudely awakened. She threatened to throw me out. I told her that I was a member of a large group and that if I was forced to leave, my group would probably leave also. Finally she said she would put a note in my record so I could clear up the problem later in the morning. When I went to the front desk later in the morning the person on duty told me there was no problem; my card was on record. She did not know why I had been awakened and threatened with eviction. This event alone would keep me from ever staying at this hotel again. The other problems with this hotel like breakfast being set out over 40 minutes late, coffee not being available for long periods during breakfast, the stale cigarette smell of my room, the peeling paint, the broken lamp, the noise from other rooms, the lack of temperature control all reinforce my decision to never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1QualityGM, General Manager at Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I am most apologetic in my response to you. It is not our practice or policy to call a guest in the middle of the night and request payment without first making sure that our staff has not made an error. We are sorry for this oversight.
I have spoken to all parties involved and re trained the staff as to our policies in handling these issues.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to show you how committed we are to taking care of each and every guest and the impression they leave with.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel off and on for a couple of years. I always find the rooms clean and comfortable. The hotel has all the standard ammenities. The hotel is a little older and cheaper than the others in the area. Nice fitness center. Needs more fruits at breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1QualityGM, General Manager at Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. We appreciate all of the feedback we get. We are always looking for ways to improve.
Norfolk, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at a Quality Inn near Norfolk Navy Base on Thurs, February 21st, my boyfriend woke up in the middle of the night with bites on his neck. I didn't see any visible bites on myself. My boyfriend went to the front desk and reported the incident and showed the clerk the bites, she moved us from room 107 to room 115. After moving to a different room, the next morning I noticed that I too had been bitten, and then then the next day after we left the hotel, a few more bites appeared. By the third day after leaving that hotel we were experiencing serious itching fits, the bites felt like fire, and they were also very painful. Today, although a lot of the swelling and redness from the bites has gotten better, and they appear to be healing, some of the bites are still itchy and painful. We have suffered three days of undescribable itching and pain from the bites. I had never experienced anything like that before and people should know that the Quality Inn, which is a Choice Hotel, has a serious bed bug issue.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1QualityGM, Manager at Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I am very sorry to hear you about your unpleasant experience at our hotel. After moving you to another guestroom, we immediately placed the guestroom out of order and had it inspected by a professional since we take this matter extremely seriously. After a thorough investigatigation by the Professional Pest Control Company that regularly services our Hotel, they concluded that there was NO infestation discovered in either guestroom (the first room you checked-into nor the new guestroom given to you) . Once again, we apologize for your less than pleasant stay and reassure you that we are very diligent in reacting to and investigating complaints of this magnitude and I assure you that The Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Station is NOT infested with bed bugs. We hope that you provide us with the opportunity to serve you in the near future.

Been to Quality Inn Norfolk Naval Base? Share your experiences!