“Excellent room comfort and top notch staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #10 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
Norfolk VA
“Excellent room comfort and top notch staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a night out on the town. The check in process was really easy once we got to the front lobby, the booking was a little troublesome when we called to book our stay we just passed from one employee to another. The hotel staff was very friendly and welcoming with quick access to the room and parking lot.
The room was very well decorated with a very comfortable bed and soft, clean sheets. We had a great night and slept in, which happens very rarely. The carpet was clean as well as the bathroom. We had an amazing view of the beautiful downtown Norfolk. It was a little rainy but overall did not ruin our stay.
We went down to the Piano Lounge where we met Henry the bartender. Henry was such a great person to talk to as he tried so hard to remember our names was able to hold such a great conversation with all the lounge guest. He made our drinks perfect! Not easy to do when you have some very unique request.
I highly recommend this hotel to any Norfolk visitor that wants a relaxing and comfortable stay while vacationing in the Amazing Downtown Nofrolk.

Room Tip: Park at the parking lot across the street and just walk over to the hotel. Its going to cost as litt...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff C, Front Office Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such an amazing review. Our team works hard to ensure your satisfaction. We are always thrilled to hear that a guest has enjoyed their stay due in part to exemplary service displayed by one of our hosts. I will be sharing your kind words with Henry. So glad you had to opportunity to sleep in and take advantage of the comfy beds. We look forward to having you back. Have a great week.

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I was in Norfolk for business, and the Marriott was the hotel of choice. It was up to their usual high standards, with the sole exception that the dining room was not open for dinner, and it was too cold and windy to to restaurant hunting. Otherwise, a good stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jeff C, Front Office Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for your response. We aim to provide consistently high standards everyday. We look forward to having you back soon as our guest.
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

I received the best customer service from this Marriott during both stays --5 days in January, and 3 days in February. The front desk was extremely professional, accommodating, and made me feel important--even though it was my company that paid for both trips.

Room Tip: The water views are great!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jeff C, Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We feel we have the friendliest staff in town. It is great to hear the staff took great care of you. I will share your comments with the team. We look forward to your next visit.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a business conference. On the way to the hotel, I called and asked if there was a microwave in the room. They let me know that there was not but I could request that they bring one up when I checked in. At time of check in, about an hour later, I was told that it was too late for that request. They also mentioned that there was a fridge in the room. There was not a micro-fridge in the room. They were able to accommodate my microwave request and attached to it was a fridge, so there really was no issue. But in general, the staff didn't seem very informed and this was not the only time the staff provided inaccurate information or took too long to answer questions that were quite simple. The room was very clean (a little bleach in the shower to remove mildew stains in between the tiles would have been appreciated), the bed was comfortable, and the toiletries provided were better than average. Generally a good hotel but I would not rate it 5 stars did not meet my standard of exceptional.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy that overall your stay was good. We hope we have the opportunity to hos you again and exceed your expectations when your travels brings you back to Norfolk.
Maryland, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed at the Norfolk Marriot on Saturday January 25, 2014. There was a power outage that lasted for several hours, through the afternoon and into the evening through dinnertime. It was dark and cold and everyone was gathered in the lobby. The hotel made absolutely no effort to accommodate their guests, not even a drink or a snack, much less some sort of monetary compensation (I think a small discount off the bill to show good faith wouldn't have been too much to ask). It was restaurant week so it was impossible to get a table anywhere, the hotel didn't bother calling around to find places for their guests to eat or at least go and get warm. When I jokingly asked whether they would give me a free drink I was curtly told "cash bar only".
Not very classy for what is considered a five star hotel.

Room Tip: One with power would be nice.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Jeff C, Front Office Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced during the power outage. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. In this regard, it saddens us to hear for any reason that a guest has left dissatisfied. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can address any of your concerns directly.
Portsmouth, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was a little skeptical about .booking here although it was only one night. We stayed here during New Years Eve on the 24th floor. It was nice. Luckily, I already knew about breakfast being served in the concierge lounge because the rep at check in didn't mention it. Other than that, check in was fast and he was pleasant. The young lady attending the concierge lounge in the morning was nice,cordial and welcoming. Greeting and asking each guest if they needed anything further. As previous reviewers have stated the rooms were smaller than I expected but, I would have short stays here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am happy that overall your stay was good and that our team was friendly and efficient. Thank you for your feedback and I do hope we see you during your next stay in Norfolk.
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on business in DEC. The hotel itself is very nice. The attached bar/restaurant (Shula's) is very nice as well. If you go to the bar be sure to have them make you a Godfather.

Parking is in a garage across the street. It was $13/day. Not attended though - pay machine on the way out only. Make sure you have a CC to use when you drive out.

There is some sort of small mall type thing across the street on the waterfront. Almost everything in it seemed to be closed though except for a couple of restaurants.

The room I had had a constant loud fan noise. The A/C or heat or something. It never turned off and was a little annoying. Some hotels you can call the front desk and they have a computer program they use where they can turn the constant fans off in individual rooms. I did not bother to ask though.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
MARWATMAR, General Manager at Norfolk Waterside Marriott, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thank you for your comments about your recent visit to Norfolk. Please accept our sincere apology for the noise coming out of your A/C unit. Our maintenace department will look into this issue in order to fix the problem.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norfolk
Bar/Lounge, Mid...
Budget, Pool, F...
La Quinta Inn & Suites Norfolk Airport
Quiet, Mid-rang...
SpringHill Suites Norfolk Virginia Beach

Been to Norfolk Waterside Marriott? Share your experiences!