“Not like any other Residence Inn I've ever stayed” 1 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not like any other Residence Inn I've ever stayed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This hotel missed the mark on several things:
1. Service - the front desk representative needs some serious customer service training
2. Cleanliness - probably the dirtiest hotel I have ever stayed
3. Amenities - not what is expected

After receiving the worst customer service I have ever received from a front desk representative (and I travel a lot). I checked into a dirty room where the alarm was going off. I unplugged the alarm and it would still not turn off. As thin as the walls are in this hotel, I'm truly surprised that the other people on the adjacent rooms didnt call down to the front desk to complain.

I visit Norfolk often for work and this was my first and last time at this hotel. I highly recommend the Sheraton; professional service, clean rooms, better location (on the water) and much better amenities.

Room Tip: Stay at the Sheraton... Not at this hotel
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Audrinna H, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 5 days ago
I would like to apologize for your recent stay with us here at the Residence Inn. We have spoken with our team about your review to assure this was an isolated issue. If your travels bring you back to Norfolk we hope we get the chance to accommodate you.

Residence Inn Downtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Fayetteville, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My major issues was the room cleanse of the room and the evening staff. I check in around 9 pm with two rooms one for myself and another for my mother. Upon checking in the front desk clerk was no where to be find. He did not tell me anything about the hotel I work for a hotel as well but I still would like to know more about the hotel then what I would see online from booking. Like I did not know I had to keep the parking ticket for a pass. He was pleasant but not very hands on and poor customer service. When going into my room I check everything like I always do since I had both of my children a 5 year old and a 2 year old. The bathroom was not clean or check like it was supposed to. There was a used bar of soap in the shower, hair in the bathtub. When checking the bed the bed-skirt look like it haven't been check it was folded up some with dust and nail clipping. The toaster in the cabinet had crumbs under it, the dishes had some soap spots on it. I called the front desk and said there was some cleaning problems with the room. He did not ask what was wrong, or could he do anything to help. It was not a big deal I went down to get some cleaning supplies so I can do it myself. My mother was gone with my sister so I did not know anything about her room. But the next morning she told me she got back and there were urine on the toilet seat, and when she took down the extra blanket for my brother it was semen of some type on the blanket. I did make a video of my room but I could not make any of her room since she got back late and I was sleep by then. I talk to the MOD that morning and the Housekeeping staff and showed them all the video of my room. The apologize, clean my room like a check-out, and took of the parking fee for both rooms. Sunday my mother wanted to stay over so she can spend time with our family, I had to go since I had to work and of school. I ask can that room stay over and they told me to look online for my rate since I do work for Marriott. I did but he rate was higher they would not honor my rate that I had the previous 2 days, I was alright with that but I ask for a late check-out for my mother for maybe 11:30-12. The front desk seem to be very hesitant about it so I look and ask the MOD and she said okay. I told her that my mother will be coming down and paying for her room and I would be out in 20 mins since the kids and myself been up since 730. Our departure was okay until when my mother told me that the front desk charged my card to her room instead of changing out to hers. I did not feel like dealing with the hassle of pending chargers. Service was alright but I expect better of the cleaning and how the handle of the situation.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Arlington, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The location is good - we were able to be within walking distance to some great restaurants (Haikkado is an awesome Japanese restaurant, the Abbey, etc). Some quick highlights:

-Clean and modern
-The suites are amazing (from microwave, dishwasher, fridge, stovetop)
-The complimentary breakfast is awesome and delicious - beats most complimentary breakfasts
-A couple of the nights, there is also a complimentary dinner
-Gym is suitable (some treadmills, recumbent bikes, ellipticals and free weights)
-Pool & jacuzzi
-Garage parking is literally across the street ($18 per day but never full; go into the garage and bring your parking ticket with you when you check in)

The only down side that I found was the Wifi was not the greatest.

Definitely worth the $ - would strongly recommend if you are staying in the downtown area.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Audrinna H, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so happy you enjoyed your time while staying with us here in Downtown Norfolk. We are upgrading our internet to make it faster! Great things are happening here at the Residence Inn. Hope you come back to visit us soon.

Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am not certain why some have reviewed this as a great location. I found it awkward to get to and without amenities nearby, i.e. restaurants, pubs, shopping, street life. But, on the other hand, it was very quiet (street quiet) for a downtown hotel. It is walking distance to the Chrysler Museum and the Glass Studio, and we visited both. I am accustomed to having a wine and cheese social hour at all of the other Marriott RI's I have stayed and this one advertised such, but as it turns out this only occurs on Monday, Tuesday and every other Wednesday! Hum. Breakfast was fine, both hot and cold offerings, and no one was rushing you out past the ending hour. There is no parking and you must park across the street at $18 per day (this was not readily apparent in the booking info). The staff were pleasant and our king suite was quite nice with complete kitchen and seating areas; a very good value even with the parking added.

Room Tip: This hotel allows pets (which is nice for pet owners). If you are not a pet owner and perhaps have...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Audrinna H, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your review. Our social hour for Residence Inn will be changing the beginning of April. A lot of new things coming out we are very excited! We are glad you got to experience the Chrysler museum and glass blowing. We hope to see you again in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The staff here really work hard to keep this a quality hotel and the best bang for your buck in Downtown Norfolk. We had a wonderful evening walk to a great restaurant a mile away and passed so many wonderful sites. The hotel is very close to the beautiful pedestrian path that is IDEAL for morning running as well. The breakfast in the hotel was great! The gym is very good as well but only for when you can't enjoy the wonderful running nearby! Free valet parking is a great plus here too. The rooms are Marriott quality and you will want to come back here for your next stay. I know I will!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your awesome review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Residence Inn Downtown Marriott. Our hotel is in a wonderful area for running and site seeing also. Unfortunately we do not offer free valet parking at this property. We hope to see you again soon!

South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed here in May for an extended stay, and this one even topped that! One huge change that was noticeable was the food. Great great breakfast and they also offer dinner 2-3 times a week which is unheard of to be included with your stay. Breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, pancakes, potatoes, sausage, waffles, breads and cereals. Dinner was fajitas one night with salad bar and hot dogs/nachos and salad next night with homemade warm chocolate chip cookies for dessert! Customer service is top notch. Everyone you come in contact with says hello or speaks. Great workout room, pool and jacuzzi. There's a fantastic Harris Teeter grocery store five minutes away off of Colonial to stock your fully equipped kitchen for your extended stay. MacArthur Center is a ten minute walk which is the mall with a huge cinema. Great restaurants in walking distance - the Freemason Abbey is a MUST!!!! Best meal we ever had. Read my review on it for more information.

When you have to spend time away from home, the Marriott Residence Inn makes it as comfortable as possible. Wifi is free which is another plus and parking is immediately across the street in the parking garage with easy in and out access when you have your ticket validated at the front desk upon check in. Great sleeping conditions - curtains totally make the room black for good naps in the afternoon. Comfy beds! One suggestion - the tub floor is extremely slick. Almost fell on two occasions. Would not be good for senior citizens especially. If there is anything you can do to fix this I would highly recommend before someone gets hurt. But again, this is the only place to stay for a fantastic experience in downtown Norfolk.

Room Tip: On the backside of hotel near parking garage away from Brambleton.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Audrinna H, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
We want to thank you for your wonderful review. If your plans bring you back to Norfolk we do hope you again stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott.

In April Marriott will be rolling out a new "Mix" for social. New exciting things to come!

Hollywood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2015

Well I stayed here for about 10 days because the ship I was supposed to visit for work was delayed on arrival. I had to extend my stay a couple of times, and the staff was easy to work with to keep the same rate as I originally had. And when I had a co-worker that needed to stay as well, they worked with me on setting that up as well.

It's a Residence Inn, you know your're going to get great service with a friendly staff who are willig to go out of their way to make your stay special.

The only thing I didn't care for was the parking situation which I'm pretty sure they have changed since I stayed there. At that time, it was $18/day which is fine for parking at a downtown hotel, but everytime I had to leave the parking garage, I had to ring the garage service and tell them I was staying at the hotel. If this has changed and they worked out something where you can just use your room key, I will update my rating to a 5.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Audrinna H, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, January 19, 2015
We are very pleased you had a nice stay with us. We are able to validate your parking ticket in the hotel which can work as a monthly pass for your whole stay. We do hope to see you again in the future. Thank you for your comment.

Audrinna
Assistant General Manager

Been to Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!