“Distraught!!” 1 of 5 stars

3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #5 of 39 hotels in Norfolk
“Distraught!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

On 7/24/13, I booked a King Suite at the Residence Inn Norfolk for Saturday 7/27/13. My reservation was for a one nights stay through booking.com, as booking.com is the site I use faithfully for all my personal and professional travels where hotel accommodation is needed and or required.
My reservation details where then emailed to me where I was guranteed a rate of 179.usd with a 13% tax for the night; parking fees not included all charges to be collected upon check in with other applicable charges for incidentals.
The card that was used at the time of booking was a master card which is in fact my debit card connected to my personal Checking and Savings account with Suntrust. Upon check in I was greeted by Guest Clerk "Justin" who retrieved from me my photo I D and debit card used at the time of booking.  My card was then swiped by "Justin" and I was given my key cards minus a receipt. During this transaction I inquired about any additional fees associated with my stay ie; holds etc. as well as parking fees required. I was told by "Justin" I was only being charged $40 for  incidentals and that my stay would be charged upon check out, also that parking was $18 for the day.
I then proceeded to the room with my family and lightly unpacked as we were headed to the ocean Front to return later, where my spouse and I planned a night out to enjoy the town of Norfolk.
We left the Hotel apx. 45 mins to an hour after arrival. While out on the ocean front I decided to check my account where to my surprise I was charged $250 as well as a secondary charge of $40. Upon our return to the hotel later that evening I proceeded to the front desk to inquire about the charges.  I was again greeted by "Justin" and the service I recieved was complete opposite of the seemingly intuitive guy who was ever present before any issue arrived.
I told "justin" about the charges and then ask him for some sort of explanation, right off the cuff he proceeded to tell me in an extremely dismissive way that "MARRIOT WAS NOT" responsible and that he had no idea why I was charged the $250 and that it was booking.com that charged me the $250. As patient as I could be and in a state of confusion I ask him had he ever have this happen before he replied "No" in a very short manner and proceeded to tell me that I was the one who booked through a "third party vendor" and that he was not responsible for initiating the charge. At this point im asking him again stating "im confused because booking.com does not and has not ever charge me any booking fees, holds, or any other charge. Etc." He then replied "well maybe they made a mistake I don't know". He gave off this argumentative disposition neither truly concerned, unapologetic and very condescending. Feeling frustrated and bewildered I asked if there was any one else available who could possibly help me, he informed me that there was not and that he was the only one there and he was indeed the supervisor. During this exhange the phone begin to ring and without excusing himself or rendering any type of compassionate assistance he simply walked away proceeding to answer the phone. I was left standing there for apx 3-5 mins forced to listen to "justin" engage in conversation with either current or potential guests feeling as if I was literally ready to cry out of sheer and utter dismay at the way I was being treated, an absolutely substandard way and through "Justin's" implications because i'd book through a "third party vendor" it was not his problem.
Once off the phone he walked back over to the desk and at this point another couple had arrived and was standing off to the side of me, my spouse joining me at the desk as well. I asked "Justin" if I could just have a print out of my charges so I could call booking.com and dispute the charges if neccesary, at this time  "justin" stated he could not give me any such statement because it wasnt an actual charge but a Preauthorization made by booking.com replying "you're not being charged, its a preauthorization and you'll get your money back from any holds in 3-5 days. I then explained that because my personal debit card had been used the money was taken out of my available balance, I anticipated the charge of 179.plus 13% tax plus the $40 for incidentals but now I have more charges and without explanation "justin" then replied reiterating "well in 3-5 days the hold will release" and also corrected me stating "and actually its 14% tax". I was taken aback because he was completely sarcastic and uninterested and I just couldn't believe he had no genuine interest in helping me yet had the audacity to correct me; not even considering that this what was stated to me in my reservation gurantee.
At this time to my complete surprise another clerk came from the back and proceeded to help the other guests. "Justin" then stated all he could do was show me the screen where it shows "Marriott" didn't charge me so I replied ill just screen shot it, but immediately declined and wrapped up the 10-15 minute exchange by saying never mind, ill just call booking.com and proceeded to walk away and to add more insult "justin" called out "oh, dont you want your screen shot?".
I was appalled to say that least. I was being treated as if id done something wrong and was not deserving off any empathy or understanding. I went up to the room retrieved the number to booking.com and proceeded to go outside walking the sidewalks around the hotel extremely upset on hold waiting for a customer service rep.
I then got "Jacob" from booking.com who I explained the aforementioned situation in which he reaffirmed what id initially knew  to be true; that it was indeed "Marriotts" charges which was also confirmed through my bank statement. Jacob ensured me he'd contact the hotel.  I waited on hold and once he returned he confirmed the charges and stated because they were in hold there was nothing he could do, I felt overwhelmed and hopeless and wanted to check out of the hotel more than willing to drive the 2 1/2 hours back home as my stay was ruined and the experience was terrible, but was told by jacob I would still be charged. Jacob honestly tried his best but his hands were tied he did however assure me my complaint would be documented and forwarded to the proper entity.  That night I went back up to the room where I stayed up half the night crying and weary.
We opted not to go out because I was completely immesirated. I awoke the next morning to a pinted receipt placed under the door again shocked considering I was refused one apx. 7 hours before. I then proceeded downstairs hoping to speak to the head manager, my eyes just couldn't believe it....here stood before me "justin"! I asked was he responsible for the receipt he said "no" I asked was there someone available to speak to and at this point the main factor not being so much about the charges as it was his flagrant disrespect and utter lack of Customer service skills. He informed me that the Asst. GM was there and without even missing a beat stated again that basically there would be nothing the Asst. GM could do because again "id book through a third party vendor".  The Asst. GM came out  and I asked for a private area to Converse in regards to my stay and the treatment I was receiving. We went into a office where I stated my claims and was simply offered a free parking pass and a half witted apology being told my experience would be used as a teaching tool because "justin" was unaware of the booking policies with booking.Com and treated my transaction as if id booked through Travelocity in which he was familiar with triggering an over charge, which still at the time of this email is still on hold.
My family and I decided  to pack up first thing and solicited my eldest son to shower and dress, to my amazement there was only two wash cloths available and considering my treatment thus far I absolutely did not want to further my stay by asking for anything. So we literally was stuck sharing wash cloths.  This prompted me to do a further inspection of the room considering we slept on top of the made bed and did not get "comfortable" during our stay. To my complete horror the bed was actually made over a incredibly filthy and stained fitted sheet. There was a dry rotted used sponge left under the sink made available to wash dishes with had we needed to as well as a dirty trash bag where you could visibly tell instead of pulling the prior trash the house keeper lazily just scooped the trash out. This completely added insult to injury triggering me to now have to correspond with the general manager and even regional manager and owner if need be.
To share a piece of my background, my daughter Amarria at only 7 years old died 18 months ago while in school from anaphylactic shock after another child gave her something she was allergic to. I have since lobbied with delegates as well as the Governor of Virginia to have a law passed in her name designed to protect food allergic children and parents. My daughters Law "Amarrias Law" was passed April of last year.

If you can imagine I am still grieving  tremendously as my life is faced with a multitude of challenges and between my advocacy work coupled with my career as a nurse I don't have much time to steal time away with my family and when I get the opportunity to do so; to be treated this way and to have this type of experience was significantly distressing to myself and my family. My travels have taken me all around the world and I have NEVER been treated with such disregard.

Furthermore, I will NEVER stay nor RECOMMEND The Residence Inn Marriott Norfolk to anyone and will strongly advise against anyone made known to me interested in staying there!
On the way out I allowed my children to grab a bite to eat from the free breakfast buffet, which was the only thing left to salvage on this trip.
Attached you will find a photograph of the disgusting bed that we unknowingly slept on.

Very dissapointed consumer,
Laura M. Pendleton

• Stayed July 2013
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for completing the review.

We do miss the boat sometimes and with your stay we definately tipped the boat over. Since you I spoke I do hope you feel we have rectified the problems you experience while here at the hotel.

Linda Markert. CHA

146 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We are Kazakhs traveling to Norfolk to visit our family. Normally when I come to a hotel, I have to translate the hotel's policies into Russian for my family to understand. Fortunately, the boy in the front Jessy greet us with smile and could tell us about the hotel and the nearby restaurants in our mother tongue. This itself was rare experience.
He gave us recommendation to Freemason Abbey, which was tasty place to eat. We came back, and the family swam in the pool and sat in the jacuzzi.
The room was lovely and clean, and when we asked for more pillows, Precious was quick to deliver and very friendly.
Breakfast was plentiful and delicious. Love it. Jessy checked us out. Work all the time? He gave recommendation to Mahi Mah's at the Virginia Beach, and told us which waitress spoke Russian, Aiya. Great recommendation. Also print out the Google Maps directions in Russian!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wow! I didn't even know Jesse spoke the language. I do know he is well versed in several languages.

We are happy you had the opportunity to visit our area and had a chance to eat in some of our local restaurants.

We do hope you have another chance to return to Norfolk.

Thank you for taking the time to complete the survey.

Best Regards,
Kindsbach, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

For the past 4 years, I have stayed at this hotel 3 times for a total of about 6 or 7 nights. I really cannot think of a better hotel experience. While other hotels might be more sophisticated, the set up of this hotel is superb. Each room is a mini apartment with a small kitchen, living room, and separate area for sleeping. I personally love the modern style of the room.

In my visits, the staff have been more than friendly; the free breakfast quite suitable; and the location pretty central to Norfolk. It is just on the outside of downtown and easily accessible to anything you need.

All in all, I would stay in this or similar hotels any time I travel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for your review.
I see you have traveled from Europe. I do hope you had a chance to speak with Maria on our team here. She is from Germany and such a treasure to have on our staff.

If you return to the area we do hope you come back to see us.

Best Regards,

Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Rooms were well appointed and appeared either new or newly remodeled. Staff had room ready for a slightly early check-in, which was appreciated. Parking is a tad inconvenient; using a public structure across the street, but this is common in urban locations and no fault of the hotel.

Location is not within walking distance of local attractions, but not more than a mile or so. Enjoyed the modern design of this RI, as opposed to may which are apartment or villa style.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are happy you enjoyed your time in the Norfolk area and had an opportunity to enjoy the hotel. If your travels bring you back to the area we do hope you choose the Residence Inn Downtown for your hotel of choice.

Portsmouth, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Pet friendly, free wifi, continental breakfast, nighly appetizers, fitness center, laundry room, immaculatly clean, fabulous customer service, walking distance to downtown restaurants/ entertainment, amazingly comfortable matresses- excellent stay! Stayed in a king studio w/ my husband and pup in between military moves for 30days. Couldn't have been more pleased!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are very centrally located to a variety of our major attractions. The view of the Elizabeth River/waterfront harbor from our higher floors is amazing.

We do hope you have an opportunity to come and visit us again. Have a great summer.

Linda Markert
Washington, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My family and I traveled here for a long weekend in late June. The location of this hotel is good in that you're a few blocks away from the waterfront area in Norfolk, and then you can hop in a car and head east for 15 minutes and you're at the Atlantic Ocean. It's a nice blend of urban and beach within a few minutes.

The hotel doesn't have parking, but there is a garage that is literally a few steps away that cost us $16 per day. Not ideal, but since I live in an urban area paying for parking is quite normal; to have the proximity to downtown this is literally the price you have to pay.

The common areas of the hotel, from the waiting area to the breakfast area to the indoor pool were all in great condition with a bit of flair in the design. Basically the entire ground floor is devoted to the lobby/check-in, the pool / fitness center, and a lot of seating. With the (complimentary!) evening receptions and breakfasts, you'll find this area fills up pretty well with people.

The room we had was very nice: a one-bedroom unit with double beds and a pullout sofa in the living room. Full kitchen with a dining table for 4 as well as a work desk with chair were also in the living/dining area. The bathroom did lack a fan, but the sink and vanity were separate from the toilet/shower which is nice for multiple people getting ready for the day.

We were on floor 9 and had a southerly view of downtown Norfolk and the harbor. If you like views ask for a higher floor.

The staff were very helpful and kind. It was a good trip, and the kids are already asking when we'll go back!

Room Tip: Higher floors with a south view will get you nice water views of downtown Norfolk
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are very lucky to have a nice extended stay hotel in a downtown area. We are very close to many attractions as well as great shopping.

We do hope you have another chance to stay at the Residence Inn Downtown.

Linda Markert, GHA
Okinawa, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Was ready for my 2 day vacation in downtown Norfolk when I got lost trying to find the hotel. My GPS did not help and had the hotel clerk guide me while I was on the phone and my spouse was driving. Check in was easy and staff was helpful/courteous. Room was a bit of a disappointment as I found 3 stains on the carpet entrance, a stain on the window curtains, and hair on the toilet bowl. There was no exhaust in the bathroom which made it tough to make toilet smells to dissipate. Breakfast was sufficient although can be crowded in the last 40 minutes of the free buffet. They ran out of some breakfast food last Saturday morning and must have been overwhelmed by the volume of guests. Many guests were patiently waiting their turn and staff helpful. Suggestion that coffee be made available to guests 24/7. Parking across the street from the hotel took quite getting used to but it was fine, except for the $20/day parking fee. Inspite of all the negative comments I made I will still consider coming back to this hotel. Still a great hotel with wonderful staff and the hotel was conveniently located to where we wanted to go.

Room Tip: They gave us a room facing away from the main street and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for writing a review.

We hope you did let the front desk staff know about the stained carpet and issues with your room. I apologize since our team should have caught this prior to your check in. We do have the equipment to respond to carpet issues very easy.

You are correct. We did get caught off guard last weekend for breakfast on Saturday. We have since opened up our meeting room and added waffle stations for the summer. Since we are an extended stay we are not as custom to having as many just weekend travelers with children.

We do hope your travels bring you back to the Norfolk area in the near future.

Linda Markert, GM

Been to Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!