“Superb, dedicated staff, excelllent "go the extra mile" service” 5 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Norfolk
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Peekskill, New York
“Superb, dedicated staff, excelllent "go the extra mile" service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

I stayed here for a wedding 8/25 - 8/29, 2011, during hurricane Irene. The hotel managers and staff left no stone unturned in caring for their guests. Additional staff came in and stayed overnight. All the restaurants in downtow Norfolk were closed, so the hotel provided supper for everyone, at no cost to the guests. The staff were courteous, cheerful and untiring in their efforts to make sure all the guests were comfortable. Kudos to you!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to send us your kind comments. We did try to make a difficult situation into at least a comfortable weekend. We are so happy the bride and groom were still able to continue with their wedding plans during the hurricane. This will certainly give them something unique to remember about their special day.

We do hope when returning to the Norfolk area you again select the Residence Inn Downtown as your hotel of choice.

Linda Markert, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

We were recently in town for a wedding during Hurricane Irene. The building is very safe and is not in "low lying areas." Nearby there was some flooding but there were no issues at the hotel. We were basically stuck in the hotel for about 24 hours. The staff was VERY friendly and accommodating. The rooms are extremely nice with full kitchens, fridges, sofa's and flat screen TV's. The lobby is also very nice. The free breakfast buffet in the mornings is the nicest free breakfast I've ever had.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Thank you for your kind words during this challenging time. We made a lot of new friends and neighbors over the weekend. We appreciate you selecting the Residence Inn as your Hurricane home.

Best Regards,

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is a newly-built (2009) Residence Inn in Downtown Norfolk and near Ghent. I live locally and chose to stay here with my two young children during Hurricane Irene in August 2011. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. I felt that multiple staff members went the extra mile for all the guests during a challenging time, including providing an extra "social" with light fare one evening. The daily complimentary breakfasts were abundant and substantial (i.e. not just a continental breakfast, but also includes eggs, pancakes, and similar). The lobby is very nicely decorated -- nicer than the average Residence Inn.

The one-bedroom suite we stayed in was clean, spacious, solidly-built and muffled noise well. You would never have guessed that there was a hurricane taking place outside from our room. I know most people wouldn't need "great in a hurricane" as a criteria when selecting a vacation hotel, but I say this as an example of how solidly-built the place seemed.

We used the kitchen a lot -- cooked some meals. The kitchen has a full-sized refrigerator and freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and a two-burner electric stove (no oven). Pots and pans, silverware and dishware, potholders, etc. were there. There were two flat-screen TVs. The bathroom sink is separate from the tub/shower and toilet area. The shower had nice pressure, etc.

Additionally, though I'd reserved for three nights, my house was undamaged by the storm. Staff allowed us to check out a day earlier than planned (and an hour and a half beyond check-out time) without charging us for the third day, and completely quickly and without a hassle (no, "let me check with my manager, blah, blah, blah). I will definitely recommend this Residence Inn to visiting friends and family.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at the Residence Inn Downtown. The hotel staff has addressed these problems by adding a daily inspection team. We also realize we should have taken the repair work to the shop verses completing a project in the guest room area.

We hope you will return to the Residence Inn Downtown on your next visit to Norfolk to see we have made changes. You may contact me by calling 757-842-6216 or e-mailing gmridtnor@ltdhospitality.com.

At your service,

Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed at this hotel exactly one year ago and loved it. I have family who stays here often and loves it. So I wasn't even looking for things to complain about but I found myself amazed at all of the missing details. Mostly around CLEANLINESS. To give you some specifics to paint the picture accurately, here's my experience. Checked into a room on the 2nd floor. Despite the request for extra pillows and towels when I reserved the room (only because they asked), nothing. Not a big deal, but why do they ask?? The new (think this hotel is 2 years old) carpet had about 10 burn marks. Now to the cleanliness. LOTS of HAIR and DUST. I'm not talking one or 2 hairs in the bathroom, I'm talking DOZENS on the bathroom floor along with visible dust. Visible dust in bathroom vanities. Lots of hairs on kitchen chairs. After an hour in the room and noticing all of these things, I asked to get moved to another room. They were nice and moved me to a larger nicer room up on the 7th floor. But still found lots of hair and dust, and sand on the office chair. You can even see lots of crumbs/debris on the metals slides in the closet. Just too much to ignore.

Had to ask them to turn down the pull out which most hotels do voluntarily, he begrudgingly did it and did not put the sheets on (fine but no tip). I made the bed with a stained blanket and more hair...

The topper was at 10pm at night they started hammering the door right next to our room when I had 3 little kids sleeping. After 10 minutes I finally called the front desk and opened my door to a very shocked maintenance guy. All I said was "seriously???"

I REALLY hope they get better management and cleaning staff !!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

This was my first stay in a Residence Inn and I was so surprised at how well appointed it was for the money paid. Although we were only there for one night it would be so easy to stay if a long term stay were needed. We were in a single room and it was so well laid out with a sleeping area, living area and kitchen. The kitchen had everything needed to do real cooking, a full size fridge,small cooktop, sink dishwasher, microwave and all of the dishes etc.
Breakfast was included in our stay. It was a small buffet but included a hot dish, make your own waffles and the usual cold buffet. Kids liked making hot chocolate.
The indoor pool was nice to keep the kids occupied before check out. There were plenty of towells and comfortable chairs but be careful, the floor is extremely slippery.
The location was excellent. It was only a short walk to the waterfront, museums, shopping and many nice restauraunts. The trolly that runs through town starts today and the stop is right across the street!
I didn't think $15 to park was bad at all. It included in and out privledges in case you wanted to drive to the navybases or beaches.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you for the nice comments about Norfolk and the Residence Inn Downtown. We are happy you enjoyed your time with us and do hope you get the opportunity to stay with us again.

Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Parking - $15/night in a garage across the street with no pedestrian walkway across.
Room - bathroom door didn't close
Desk help - gave wrong directions to a nearby store

I've stayed at Marriott hotels for the last 25 years, and I normally love Residence Inns. This hotel gives Marriott a bad name. The parking situation is awful and extremely inconvenient, the breakfast selections were terrible, the laundry machines were faulty, etc... It's poorly maintained. The bathroom door not closing - completely inexcusible.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
RIDTWN, General Manager at Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown, responded to this review, August 11, 2011
We are sorry you did not enjoy your time here at the Residence Inn Downtown.

With a downtown location and parking a premium we do have an unusal situation for a Residence Inn. We contract with the city for parking space in the city garage.

We do hope you reported the door not closing while you were here so we could rectify the problem. We would not want the next guest to experienc the same problem.

Thank you for your comments. We can not correct what we do not know.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Stayed here because we wanted a place in downtown Norfolk that allows dogs. Luckily, this place was also close to lots of good dining and things to do. The rooms look new and are well-appointed. Parking is $15 a day, but we were able to find free street parking within a couple blocks (we stayed over the weekend). Definitely a good place to stay in Norfolk.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
We are happy you enjoyed your time here at the Residence Inn Downtown. You will be happy to know the city is building a small park directly across from the hotel for our pets.

We do have many great restaurants within walking distance. Some of my favorites are just around the corner.

Thank you for your comments and we do hope to see you and your pet back here at the Residence Inn Downtown.

Best Regards,

Linda Markert, CHA

Been to Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown? Share your experiences!