“Hotel leaves a lot to be desired” 2 of 5 stars

Pinhal do Sol Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sitio de Semino, Quarteira 8125, Portugal   |
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Quarteira
wales
“Hotel leaves a lot to be desired”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We spent ten days at the Hotel. First impressions were very good. First floor room had a fridge and kettle etc. The room was spacious and a small but adequate balcony which saw sun from midday to sunset. The ground floor had a small patio with a hedge which did not seem comfortable. The housekeeping was excellent. It was a three star so we did not expect fine dining. Breakfast was ok except for the fried eggs which were not freshly cooked and were overcooked. The bacon,or beans were warm not hot and were often empty. If you wanted fresh you needed to be there when they were re filled.The rest provided a cold buffet toast, bread rolls cheese, ham etc.Lunch was very good with hot (cool) food, chips, salads and other cold buffet style meals. The evening Dinner consisted of Chips, one Veg, meats choice of two, served by the Chef. Fish was also served on occasions. Not fine dining. Lots of complaints.Could have been better as the Chef was present serving. It was good to eat out at a local restaurant down the road. The dining staff worked hard and the younger staff were very pleasant. One or two of the bar staff did not want to smile or communicate in a nice way. The Hotel is well out of Town and transport was required. Provided in the day by the Hotel but stopped at 1800 hrs. A later bus would of helped those wishing to visit the Town for a meal or shopping. Quarteira seemed an area in need of upgrading and revitalising particularly the beach areas, whereas Villamoura was a different class. We were All inclusive and benefitted from this board. Those on B&B had to pay for drinks and other snacks which were not cheap. 2euros 50 for a can of coke etc. A large bottle of water was always available and most drinks were national brands. There were complaints about the soft drinks not being up to standard. The other accomodation in the Annexe was a basic room and complaints were being made as there was no fridge, kettle etc. The superior rooms on the first floor are the better rooms. We enjoyed our stay in blazing wall to wall sunshine. The majority of the holiday was very good value. Some Management issues need to be reviewed to make it worthy of a three star holiday. Not for teenagers or young adults. Okay for the older generation. There was adequate sunloungers in September but I envisage a problem during the summer.A meal in the local restaurant came to 40 euros for two. A bottle of wine was 6 euros 50. The sea bream complete was delicious. The house steak in a mushroom cream sauce was super. The two starters again were very good. Worth a couple of visits. We would not stay at the Pinhal do Sol again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
Wallasey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Half board at this hotel is very good value. There is always something enjoyable to eat at the buffet restaurant while the bar is well stocked with local beers and spirits - try the white sangria. Rooms are spacious and well furnished altho those in the villa part seem a little too far away from the main buildings. Ask for these if you want your own pool and a peaceful time. The hotel is too far away from town to walk altho the bus is frequent and also takes you to Villamoura which is a must see. Visit the Zoomarine if you get a chance. Best part about the holiday was the company we enjoyed. Great bunch of people sitting on the bar balcony by the pool. Football on the tvs, more than a few beers and you certainly did 't think the bar shut too soon :) Didnt make it back in September, maybe next year.

• Stayed June 2012
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was here in the beginning of September and was very disappointed with this hotel it's in the middle of nowhere last shuttle is 6 pm so u must have a taxi back staff was very unfriendly no entertainment food was excellent there was black damp on walls of room and toilet didn't flush and when I reported it they said no one to mend it for 24 hours when I said not good enough the manager tried to mend it with a knife so we had to use bucket of water to flush I think the staff wrote the good reports if you want a very quiet and bed by 9 pm then go for it

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
louleQuarteira, General Manager at Pinhal do Sol Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Costumer,

I very sorry to read in your comments about your stay that you were disaponted with your holiday.

We alway work hard and do our best to make sure our costumers have an enjoyable holiday with us.

I am sorry your toilled flash was not not repared straight away. I will investigate the reason why, as we alway someone on duty service.

As a Tripadisor writer I am sure you are aware about how restrict and how seriouly tripadvisor follows and supersises, all costumers reviews. All the reviews are absolutly personal opinions from costumers who stayed at Pinhal do Sol, or any other Hotel around the world.

Yours Sincerely

The Manager
Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have just returned from a short break in Quarteira in the Algarve. I have to say it was so clean and the staff were extremly friendly. The room was cleaned and fesh towels were provided everyday. The breakfast buffet had something for everyone, plenty of fresh jucies and coffee's as well as a choice of hot and cold breakfast everything from cereals to patries to a cooked breakfast. If your not all inclusive don't worry as the drinks are pretty cheap, I was lucky enough to become friends with so many wonderful people who were all inclusive they were bringing me drinks. The hotel offers a free bus to either Quateira or Vilamora I recommend visiting both places as they are lovely, they even pick you up again. I enjoyed my holiday so much I will go back agagin next year for longer this time. The weather was fantastic too. The hotel had 2 pools a bar and a resturant. You can upgrade to all inclusive for around 42 euros a night which is well worth the money then u get breakfast lunch snacks dinner and all your drinks. I couldn' fault this hotel. I had an amazing stay here and thats all thanks to the wonderful staff. Look forward to seeing you all again xx

Room Tip: I had a room in the block away from the main receptiona, which was nicer as it was quieter and often...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Just got back from a weeks holiday staying at the Pinhal do Sol , it was exactly what we wanted we stayed all inclusive, we thought the choices for all meals were excellent nothing was repeated through the week the portions were more than generous, the drinks were good though 10pm finish was a little early. tyne staff were all friendly and helpful, I will give a special mention to Jessica who works very long hours but is always willing to help and have a joke with the holiday makers.
our room was classed as superior because we had a balcony, kettle and fridge it was very basic and the beds were really uncomfortable It was cleaned every day
the pool area was nice with a grass area for people who wanted to sunbathe in peace, We went as a couple I don't think there is enough to do if you have children though the shuttle bus does take you into Vilamora. we had a great time met some lovely people in quiet surroundings we got the holiday at a really good price I feel that we got value for money, There is a need for afresh coat of paint but overall we were happy with the holiday

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room with a balcony not good views but quiet and private
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Not for one moment do I profess to be a professional hotel crtique like Alex Polizzi, however my husband and I are regular travellers, and we do know what makes a good holiday...or not so good holiday.
I have reviewd a fair few holiday destinations, as honestly as possible, adn after reading the reviews on this site about The Pinhal Do Sol, I do not disagree with them.
However, let me give you some pointers, and sign posts as to whether you want to book to stay here at The Pinhal Do Sol.
Firstly I need to tell th readers that this Hotel belongs to Sweet Country Hotels, (Goodle them) and it is not situated in Quarteria.It is in fact 5km out side of this town in a small residentail area called Sante Fonte.This is in the country side inbetween Vale Do Lobo and Vilamoura.
It is not on any public transport route, and isolated from amenities.I know this to be true, regarding the location as i used a satnav while driving and it gave me exact locations and miles.
There are 56 twin rooms here on site, some rooms are located in a independant location away from the main bar and pool area, with no amenites such as bar,public loos.
Some rooms are so called superior rooms, which contain a kettle,fridge,but not much more.
The rooms are very dated,and in need of some up dating, but never the less very clean.House keeping serves the rooms daily, with fresh towels, etc.
Pool areas and gardens are kept very clean, and are plesant to sit in, as the main pool area is incredibily small, with appox 14 sun beds....static umbrellas, and some which can be moved, not enough room for a full hotel.
There are free shuttle buses to Vilamoura and Quarteria, at set time throught the day, but the last bus is at 1745, which for some is far too early to return or even go out for a meal.
To hire a car i would advise talking to Autorental in Quarteira.Appox 100 per week.
The Pinhal Do Sol does boast alot of free parking, Taxis are expensive if used all the time.
Oh I forgot to mention, the hotel is plagued by airplanes from faro, quite noisy...especially at 6am with one over head flying low!!
The resturant is very very poor.So poor in fact my husband and I ate out despite being all inclusive,I do not know of any hotel, that ofers sprouts,fish fingers and plain bioled rice to adults!!!!!! I was almost urging....sorry...but its true....
The food was cold,fatty,and the presentation was well below standard.However the salad bar was limted but Ok, as was the fruit selection.
The bar also was the worse I hav ever patronised,All inclusive finished at 10pm!! Yes guys 10pm.....that mean after 10pm you have to pay full price for your drinks....thats if you dont want to be tucked up in bed by 10.20pm with a good book.
All drinks are served warm,with very very cheap mixers. from MACRO.If your having cheap vodka, then add a cheap mixer its not a good combo!! I stuck too shandy!!
The bar staff .....mixed opinion here, some were miserable,but I can appreciate their views, some of the staff work till 1am, then are back again for 7am.Therefore they are exausted, and grouchy...so would you be doing that 6 days a week!!Jessica works incredibly hard and always tries to be cheerful and jokey...Others...??????????????
Entertainment is NON existant...well,...not totally non existant, two nights a week men come to sing!!! That made my ears bleed....and my husband laugh.Best to avoid.
This hotel is Ok if you need a base.i wouldnt advise eating,or drinking here,it is not suitable for those with kids that need entertaining, as there is nothing for them to do here.
As for the younger couples or groups of chaps and girls No way....head to Albuferia...much more to see and do for you lot there.........
Mature couples who want a cheeky "do not disturb" get away (without eating here) then i would say try it......I would say this hotel is a two star maximum.
May I suggest a nice hotel in Vilamoura??....Tivoli Marina.
I going to try and get a deal for there its fantastic!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck if you decide to try The Pinhal Do Sol...

Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

stayed here with my 16year old in july great hotel breakfast was self service which was good plenty to choose from ,didnt have dinner so cant comment
not a good location so we relied on the mini bus which was great because it was free
not alot to do other than swim or tennis so wouldnt recommend in later months
walk to other towns about 40mins (quarteira) lovely place to visit great beach
could do with some up grading

Room Tip: my room was so far away from everything
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pinhal do Sol Hotel? Share your experiences!