“Their website doesn't do them any justice...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palazzo Majo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Citta di Castello
Palazzo Majo
You added Palazzo Majo to your Saves list
Via Sant Aurelio | Lugnano, Citta di Castello, Italy   |
Calgary, Alberta
“Their website doesn't do them any justice...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

...but that's probably just to ward off the irritable ones, because this place is just too perfect.

If you're truly looking for some quiet time situated in purely Italian countryside, this is it. The charming brother owners Joe and Mars certainly made me feel more than welcome when I arrived, and kept that up throughout my stay. The food was exceptionally delicious despite my nitpicky appetite, and their suggestions for activities were the furthest thing from boring. Their personal touch was so accommodating it made me feel guilty at times. No request was too much or unrealistic for them--quite frankly if I had asked for some unicorn meat they probably would have actually gotten me some without hesitation.
Their knowledge of the area and handle of the language is quite comprehensive, and as such I never felt out of place despite having absolutely no handle on speaking/understanding Italian.
Thanks gents--I'm really sorry I couldn't stay longer but will definitely do so when I return.

Leo

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Okay, so you take away the modern, well-designed, spacious room (Assisi Suite), stunning views of the village and Umbrian countryside, beautiful pool, charming village location and what have you got? Two brothers who are a couple of the best hosts on earth!! These two gentlemen--Joe and Mario (Mars)--are the consummate hosts who will do everything they can to make your trip memorable. And if you should happen to experience any difficulties along the way (as we did), they will make your problem their own and do whatever it takes to solve it with the least amount of intrusion into your vacation time. They are quite remarkable in this respect. They will accompany you to wherever it is you need to go and will make endless phone calls on your behalf. This, to me, is what truly makes Palazzo Majo service stand out. Umbria is a beautiful region of Italy with many gorgeous hotels, but finding the type of personal service offered here is very difficult indeed. Aside from pouring Prosecco for you upon arrival, cooking a fantastic dinner and great breakfasts, they will make you feel as though their house is your own. They will plan your days with excursions to little known villages with fantastic restaurants and authentic Italian culture. Thanks so much, Joe & Mario, we enjoyed it tremendously and can't wait to return. Book into this place, you won't be sorry. Lastly, we very much enjoyed Archibugio Restaurant which was within walking distance. (Reviewed separately)

Room Tip: Splurge for the Assisi Suite. It is well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Den Haag
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

What a great place to be, Palazzo Majo in Umbria Italy. The owners/brothers Joe and Mario turned out to be great company (and private cooks too), knowing lots about the area, places to see, restaurants to eat, etc. We stayed at Palazzo Majo for a full week in june 2013, still memorizing every minute. Seeing many villages / parts of Northern Umbria but also surely also lots sunbathing around the pool.
Erwin & Harriet , Netherlands

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We feel exceptionally lucky to have been recommended to stay at palazzo majo. Having looked at the website we were really excited about our visit however the photo's really don't show just how beautiful the house and rooms are - let alone the spectactular views across the surrounding hills in the peaceful hamlet of Lugnano. The interior design is superb and is testimony to the passion and energy that Joe and Mario have put into renovating this beautiful old building.

On arrival Joe made us feel really welcome and relaxed, and his advice on where and what to visit was very helpful especially when the weather was a little wet made the planning of our excursions all the more enjoyable. He was always attentive, charming and entertaining making making us feel at home and our stay a magical experience that neither myself or Kate will forget.

I can not recommend the palzzo majo highly enough, just wish we had longer to stay.

Room Tip: Having had a tour, all the rooms and bathrooms are beautiful and charming not one of them has a down...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have just spent 6 fabulous days at Palazzo Majo, which unfortunately ended all too soon. Given that this was at the beginning of October, we were surprised that the temperature was a very warm 28 degrees centigrade throughout. Definitely warm enough for a swim in the pool.

This was our fourth visit, so we knew what to expect, and we were definitely not disappointed. We keep coming back because of the quality of the hotel, the welcome of Joe and Mario, and the spectacular surroundings. Whilst there, we visited a food festival in Foligno, shopping in Perugia, the market in Citta di Castello, and the medieval town of Gubbio. You can see a video clip of our visit to Gubbio here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWAIEmQh38Y&feature=g-upl

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We spent a week at Palazzo Majo this summer. Very comfortable. The rooms are all huge and well appointed. Joe made us feel enormously welcome and it was great to have a connection to the local area. I have never been to Umbria before and I hope I get the chance to go back.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I don't think I can adequately express how amazing Joe and Mario are!! To say that they bend over backwards is a massive understatement. The Palazzo is beautiful with modern stark decor which leaves you to focus on the gorgeous views outside your window. My first stay was in late February 2012 to finalize plans for my wedding a few months later which took place at Palazzo Terranova 15 minutes down the road. While I had a wonderful wedding planner, Joe was invaluable in his help an advice to me and my mom on this trip. He even took us around himself. Thanks to him, I booked Villa Lugnano for my "Night After" party. I also had his place fully booked with wedding guests and he graciously agreed to have my "Welcome Dinner" (aka the rehearsal dinner) for 50 guests in his courtyard. He also recommended a caterer that they had had excellent experience with in the past. (The caterer proved to be fabulous -- best gnocchi ever.). I don't know what I would have done without Joe's advice on this first trip. He did so much to make my wedding an incredible experience for all.

On our second trip in June 2012 me and my soon to be husband along with his family stayed at Majo in the few days leading up to the wedding and then several guests stayed at Majo for the 3 days of wedding festivities while we moved to Palazzo Terranova. This was my first time meeting Mario (Mars). Mars was as wonderful as his brother Joe. Anything we needed - and I truly mean ANYTHING - they were there to help. Seriously, your own family would normally not be as helpful as Joe and Mario were as we prepped for the wedding. They were patient and calm when a family member went a little crazy. They helped deal with a van we rented that ended up leaking massive amounts of diesel (really we could have blown up) -- talking with car rental folks and driving us to Castello to get a new van. And this is really only the tip of the iceberg. Oh, and they're a hell of a lot of fun to boot!! By the end of the trip, we all felt like they were family. The best kind of family.

I should also say the grounds are beautiful and my young nieces were particularly taken with the "fairy table" on the grounds that literally feels like it belongs in Tolkien's world.

In short, I could not recommend Palazzo Majo more highly!!! If you are looking for a place to stay in the area --- look no further. You will not be disappointed. And have a glass of Limoncello with the guys for us!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Palazzo Majo? Share your experiences!