“Excellent Stay, Excellent Hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Greve in Chianti
Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani
You added Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani to your Saves list
Melazzano 5 | Località Melazzano, 50022 Greve in Chianti, Italy   |
Boston, MA
“Excellent Stay, Excellent Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Roberta was so helpful when we were preparing for our visit. Without a car, I was a little nervous but she helped with the bus from Florence, the cab to their property and arranging bikes. Of course, it was July, and it was wayy to hot for bicycles. We switched them for scooters and had a wonderful cruise around Tuscany. Loved the stay, would love to go back for longer. Greve is a cute town with nice restaurants.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We loved every minute of our stay here. A roomy and clean apartment with a private patio (and comfortable outdoor furniture), a large pool nearby, and completely surrounded by the quietness and peace of the vineyards. We could just sit for ages with a bottle of wine and enjoy the sound of birds and the smell of jasmine.
After a busy day out sight-seeing we would then spend the next day relaxing at "home" followed by an evening meal in Greve.
We loved the area, the town of Greve is unspoilt and just large enough to have all the shops and restaurants for necessities but not too large to become a tourist trap. It felt very genuine and had a charm of its own.
All directions involved twisty hilly routes, so don't plan very long distance trips, but we loved the countryside and felt glad to return from areas such as Grossetta, Siena and Cortona.
The walk into Greve is something you'll do only once as it's long and strenuous and joins the road halfway down. The off-road access track to the apartments is suitable only for hire cars and 4x4s as the ruts and bumps are enormous.
Patrizia and Roberta are delightful, thanks for all your help!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

We found Patrizia Falciani's Agriturismo just by chance while visiting delightful Greve. It was like personally unearthing some hidden treasure...With a Chianti bottle from her ownreserve, Patrizia settled us in Cecilia, a big Tuscan decorated one- bedroom apt with beautiful views to the vineyards and the town below. After four days, we moved to Giacopo, a two-bedroom apt. on the second floor, this one affording even nicer views.The kitchens are fully equipped for six guests. Roberta is in one a manager, information and reservation master, problem-solving wizard, loaded with Tuscan warmth and a charming attitude.

The private patios are a great convenience if one wants to have dinner outside, surrounded by nature, and at this time of year, the perfume of acacia trees and roses.

A well-stocked market is in town, aside from all kind of stores and great restaurants. On Saturday mornings, don't miss the open market in the center of town, where local fresh produce and meats can be bought.

We highly recommend this agriturismo for its location, cleanliness and friendly local atmosphere...We plan on going back for a longer stay, since it's right at equidistance from Siena, San Giminiano, Florence, Arezzo and even movie-famous Cortona.

Gracias Roberta!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights in this amazing place between the vineyard. Roberta was kind and very helpfull. The apartment we stayed in was very comfortable, the views were magnificent, and we will be happy to visit again!

• Stayed May 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

My husband and I, who are in our late '50s and have travelled extensively in Europe and North America, stayed at Agritourismo Patrizia Falciani for 9 days in late Sept., early Oct.. We were, in part, influenced by the reviews on TripAdvisor. Three years ago, we did the grand tour of Italy, and this time wanted to stay in one place and do leisurely day trips - and felt that Patrizia Falciani's would fill the bill. And it did - I would not hesitate to recommend it.

We stayed in the 2-bedroom Jocopo, which is up a flight of stairs in the main building. Upon arrival we found - just as we expected and as previous reviews indicated - a neat, spotless, and fully equipped apt. waiting for us. It was fresh and immaculate. - clean bedding. Several days into the trip, I misplaced some film and even searched under the beds for it - and found that even the floors under the beds were clean - no dust-bunnies in sight.

Because we were there for some time, I also got to observe the cleaning of the apts. And I can say, without exaggeration, that it took at least two hours to clean every apartment. I also asked Roberta (the friendly woman who essentially manages the agritourismo and has an excellent command of English ) and Patrizia, the owner, if we could look at some of the other apts. I am curious by nature, and thought that if any of our friends ever wanted to stay, we would have an idea of the other apts.

While Jocopo met our requirements very well, Carlotta was one of my favourites, (also a 2-bedroom) and among the 1-bedrooms, I liked Rosa the most. I toured Carlotta on two occasions, both times after it had been cleaned after departing guests, and it was very clean and tidy - as were all the apartments. All apts are decorated in rustic Italian furniture- - nothing really matches - but that is part of the charm (when in Italy live as the Italians do) with everything you need to cook a meal for two or six. I can see that Carlotta - and several of the other apts. with stairs to climb - might not be suited to people with small children - or anyone (young or old) with mobillity issues - but would expect, however, that anyone with such concerns would make the necessary enquiries to ensure that any accommodation would be suitable to their needs. The pool, as can be seen from the photos, is enclosed by a fence (not a tall, steel fence) but a wooden one that is covered by a dense hedge. Roberta and Patrizia cleaned the pool regularly, and we loved sitting by it in the late afternoon, with glass of wine in one hand a book in the other, relaxing from a day or sightseeing.

At the time of our stay, most of the guests were in their 50s and 60s - couples enjoying the beautiful weather, watching the grape harvest and touring the enchanting and historical hilltop towns that surround Greve. While we were there, a family with three young daughters, 7, 5 and a toddler, stayed for several nights, and spent quite some time at the pool, and walking through the vineyards. From their laughter, they seemed to be having a lovely time. Like any property with a pool, small children would have to be closely monitored by their parents - as even small children have been known to slip through locked gates.

I wrote numerous e-mails to Roberta prior to our trip - some asking about minute detail - to ensure that my expectations were met. And they were. I knew that the property was removed from Greve - and that was part of its appeal for us - it was very quiet. It was reached by a windy (paved) road up a fairly steep hill, and the last portion is on a rough dirt road. We made a game of our return each day - even "mature" people enjoy games. We would put the car in neutral and see if we could make it right into the parking lot - the trick was to get over one small "hill" about mid-way down. Using the main road, it would be a long and difficult walk into (and back from) Greve. However, one can walk to town by a much shorter and less steep route - through the vineyards - and it takes about 12 minutes. It would not be advisable to walk after dark, as the area is inhabited by wild boars.

You don't really see the property until you are upon it, and then - at least in our opinion - it is quite lovely. The gardens around the property are beautiful and well tended - there are fig and walnut trees and guests are welcome to pick them. The views are quite stunning - if you like rows and rows of vineyards - many with rose bushes planted at the head of each row. If you stay in this part of Tuscany, you are in the middle of Chianti country, and can expect miles and miles of hills dotted with vineyards in every direction - and some lovely olive groves - the more traditional Tuscany landscape of rolling hills and cypress trees can be found around Siena - only an hour away on the main highway that runs between Florence and Siena. And because Chianti is hilly, the views onto the sunlit vineyards from the top of any hill are breathtaking. We did not tire of the views even after 9 days. Several nights we had dinner outdoors in our gazebo, and I will always remember the full moon rising over the vineyards.

Greve itself is not a large town - and certainly in late September and October, it appears sleepy during the week. It has a central square and some very interesting side streets that run off it. We found some lovely shops selling fresh local sausages, a wonderful bakery where there were usually lineups even at 7:30 am, and some shops selling handmade pasta. The Saturday morning market in Greve was hectic, but very interesting for people watching. After a few days, we felt like locals rather than "ouitsiders." Usually after dinner, my husband and I walked around the square and a few of the side streets, just to people watch, and to enjoy a gelato. There are certainly many restaurants to choose from, and Roberta is a great source of information and directions.

We were delighted with the surrounding villages of Montefioralle (a beautiful castle now turned into individual apts - and home to two lovely restaurants, which overlook Greve), Panzo (great pizza and gelato), Radda (an ancient nearby walled town, reached by a main road)., and delightful Volpaia, which we returned to a second time to enjoy the views, the historic castle and excellent food. We also had a private vineyard tour about 4 km. from Greve - the vineyard is run by two sisters - after which we had a homecooked lunch, complete with four wines produced in the vineyard - in a private garden. We also drove to San Gimignano in about 65 minutes on a main road, and found the scenery en route through Poggibonski, unremarkable and after the beauty of the Chianti hills, the area looked very dowdy.

We talked to five other couples - from France, England and Australia - during our stay. All were staying at Patrizia's for over a week. In one case, it was the third stay for a couple - in their early '60s from England - and they loved both the property and the location. The couple from France brought their bikes and did a lot of cycling - ideal in this part of Chianti - cyclists are common on the roads. The Australians came on a recommendation of friends - and told me they were not disappointed. We all seemed to know exactly what to expect, and were not disappointed. My husband and I are discerning travellers and while we like to "live like the locals" wherever we travel, we would not have stayed - no matter the price - at accommodation that was dirty or rundown.

Accommodation is comfortable, clean and the service is excellent and accommodating. Like any place, there are a few minor drawbacks - the water pressure is fairly low and you have to wait about 3-4 minutes for the hot water to circulate through the pipes. The price is quite reasonable - we looked at other properties when we were there - properties we had seen on TripAdvisor, and they were all similar (that is furnishings, facilities) - and in some cases, much more remote and "rustic" than Patrizia's and more expensive.

As I have already said, Roberta is very accomodating and replies immediately to any requests and concerns. We were missing a couple of knives in our kitchen and she brought us a selection to choose from, and left an iron on our doorstep after we did a load of laundry before leaving for Florence. She also made reservations, and left notes on our door when they were made. I would expect that if - or anyone - had problems with cleanliness, accessibility, etc., that she would do her best to resolve them, if she was informed.

Based on my personal experience, and from the short conversations that I had with other guests during our stay, that the "rave reviews" are accurate. Based on our experience, my husband and I would recommend Patrizia Falciani's without hesitation.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Kinross
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

After searching countless websites and reviewing literally scores of apartments, farmhouses and agriturisimos my attention was drawn to Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani based on the rave reviews the place had on Trip Advisor. Read the reviews. 9 out of 10 of them can't praise the place enough. There was only one that rated the place badly.

Sadly, after just returning, I am amazed at the hype of the 9 reviewers and I would have to say that the only negative review is the most accurate of all of them. The place simply isn't amazing.

Roberta was so nice and so helpful that I can't bring myself to be as honest about the place as it deserves, but for 550 Euros in October, this was not a star deal. The price was OK, the problem was the standard of the place. We stayed in the Carlotta apartment and it was dark, dated, aged, grubby and verging on dirty. It has steep concrete stairs so is not suitable for young children or those less stable on their feet. The smell from the bathroom was almost unbearable. It appeared to be a combination of damp and the stench of sewage from the drains.

The apartment does have one view from the upstairs bedroom window, but Chianti is a hilly area and so everywhere has views. This view is not above average for the area, nor are the views from the pool. They're nice, but they're nothing special.

I should also mention the at the place is situated on the west-facing side of a steep hill about 2 miles out of Greve. It would be a long walk into town and a long mountain climb back. Bear this in mind if you are planning to eat out in Greve, drink and leave the car behind. It's simply too far to leave the car behind.

We are not choosey or picky people and as parents of a 2 and 4 year-old, we are probably most relaxed parents you could meet, but this place was less than ideal. We put up with it and smiled, but we wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend the place for people with young children. Nor would it be suited to the elderly or people who like cleanliness. I would point out that we have stayed in a lot of cottages/apartments/villas and farmhouses across Europe, in fact we were in France last month and for £150 less than Agriturisomo Patrizia Falciani, we stayed in a truly great place in the Dordogne (Bouillatou in Bouliac near Bergerac... check it out, it's great) so I can say with a high degree of confidence that on a European scale, this place is not great.

You should also be aware of the situation of the place. Greve is in the middle of the mountains and a good 35 mins drive in every direction before you hit the nearest main road that will take you anywhere. We chose Greve because websites raved about the place, because it was said to be the very heart of the Chianti region and because on the map it appeared to be equidistant between Florence and Siena. In my opinion, Greve has little to recommend it. It's not a particularly lovely village/town, it doesn't appear overly historic and it's a long way from anywhere. It has views because the area all around is so hilly, but it's not the quintessential Tuscan landscape of olive groves, vineyards, rolling hills and cypress trees I was led to believe it would be. It's hilly, and covered in scrub forest mixed with hillside vineyards. The landscapes outwith the mountainous belt from Greve to Castelina are much nicer.

We like to see a lot when we are on holiday and even with young children in tow we usually make sure we see everything an area has to offer. Whilst staying for a week at Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani we managed to drive to Pisa, Siena, Volterra, San Grimigiano, Monterrgioni and even as far as Assisi. We took the bus to Florence from Greve. Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani is well placed for Florence. It's not far away but the service bus takes about an hour on the windy roads. However, in general terms, Greve is not well placed for travelling. The problem is that it's a 35 min drive on often single track windy roads out of the mountains before you hit any kind of a main road to go anywhere.

I seem to be giving Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani and Greve a bit of a bad press. For some people, the place would be great and from the other reviews on TripAdvisor, some people clearly love the place. But for us, the accommodation wasn't great (though be aware that throughout Italy, the accommodation is never great), we found the Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani not best situated for day trips and Greve is a pretty uneventful place with little reason to visit.

If you like rustic Tuscany, are not fussy about your accommodation and just want to lie back and read a book without going too far or doing much, then this place would be great. If you like a good standard of accommodation, want to get out and about and see Tuscany, then there are better places to stay.

The Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani is well away from any busy roads, so your toddlers won't get run over, but the place is not ideal for your children. In the Carlotta apartment there are a lot of hard surfaces, concrete steps, hard pointy edges, things to climb on, and low-level upstairs windows. The pool is not fenced, there are drops all around it and it's out of view from the apartments so it's always possible for a toddler to walk off unseen and end up in the pool!!!! Mind you, this is a problem common to everywhere in Italy... they are not big on child safety.

In summary, the place isn't bad and Roberta is really nice and really helpful (and she speaks excellent English) but at the same time the place is not as good as the numerous rave reviews on TripAdvisor make it sound. This is actually my first ever TripAdvisor review. I've been reading TripAdvisor for years as part of my holiday planning but I've only been moved now to write this, my first review, to balance up the reviews currently on TripAdvisor. As said we chose this place based almost entirely on the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. In my opinion, these reviews are slightly misleading. It's not nearly as great as they make out. it's not the worst place in the world, but it's not the best either. If you want a lazy holiday and you don't plant to go too far, then it would be fine. If you like what passes for supposed Tuscan rustic charm, then you would be fine but if you plan on seeing wider Tuscany, if you have young children or if you are older and are less stable on your feet and not keen on long drive and hilly, winding roads then I would choose somewhere to the west of the Greve-Siena line. Somewhere outwith the line of hilly country that runs in a straight line between Florence and Siena. Preferably somewhere around Poggibonsi. Poggibonsi itself isn't up to much but it's very well situated for access to everywhere that's worth visiting in Tuscany and beyond.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Chiantikingfisher, owner at Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani, responded to this review, October 23, 2009
Unfortunately we seem to have here a case of misplaced expectations (Review by Pointerdog).

The price of Apartment Carlotta was not just "OK" for Tuscany, it was excellent - 78 euros per night to house a family of four in a fully-equipped apartment with a private patio and pool access. That's one reason we have the rave reviews you see here on Trip Advisor.

The Apartment Carlotta is newly renovated, spotless, and beautifully furnished in Tuscan country style - maybe not to everyones taste, but this is Tuscany after all.

The panoramic views from the apartment and the pool extend for miles over the vineyards and olive groves as far as the hill town of Montefioralle - voted one of the most beautiful villages in Tuscany. Check the photogallery here on Trip Advisor.

Every house in Tuscany contains staircases - often many of them - and they are made of pietra serena, the local greenish grey sandstone, not concrete (nor wood - and no elevators). That's how houses have been built here since medieaval times.

All agriturismi are in the country - that's what agriturismo means ("farm-stay"). Our agriturismo is one of the closest to Greve - walk or drive, the choice is yours - but farmhouses are not in town and farms here are on hillsides. If a mile is a long way for you, maybe stay in a city.

Greve lies not on some kind of remote track but midway on the scenic "Chiantigiana" highway joining Florence and Siena, one of the most popular drives in Italy. Greve itself is the extremely popular market town of the Chianti Classico wine zone, with numerous castles, historic villas, churches and villages, all open to the public, within a 7 mile radius. Greve is surrounded on every side by rounded hills (and they ARE hills, not mountains - for the latter, we have the Apuan Alps and the Apennines an easy one day excursion to the north). Our hills are covered by vineyards, olive groves and cypresses, plus mature pine and chestnut forest inhabited by all manner of birds and other wild animals. Tuscany is generally very hilly and the roads, per forza, wind around the hills. If you prefer flat territory and straight roads, try the coastal Maremma or the Val di Chiana, both of which have their own charms. Chianti is loved by its inhabitants and thousands of visitors for its evocative hillscapes.

Come and stay with us soon. And bring the kids. You (and they) won't regret it!
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

This is the way to spend a week in Chianti! Our apt (Rosa) was small, but had everything we needed plus a view to die for! we were 2 adults and 2 small kids all sleeping in the one bedroom, but the kitchen/dining area was plenty big enough, plus all the space outside. It was hot during our stay so we spent lots of time in the pool enchanted by the surrounding country side. they make their own wine and oil (Patrizia's brother) and it was all so delicious! Roberta and Edy were terrific and someone was always available. Lots of families also stayed our week so the atmosphere was perfect for us. I walked down to town with the kids -but my husband picked us up with the car for a ride home -it would have been quite a hike! Wonderful butcher in town, and grocery, so we cooked a lot in the apt. This was the most relaxing part of our trip! Thank You!! (We did need bug protection as they were brutal!)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Agriturismo Patrizia Falciani? Share your experiences!