“A Charming Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castello di Lamole

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Greve in Chianti
Castello di Lamole
Via di Lamole | Castello di Lamole - Panzano, 50020 Greve in Chianti, Italy   |
Ranked #15 of 19 hotels in Greve in Chianti
Dartmouth, Canada
“A Charming Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

Although it has been over two years since we stayed at the Castello di Lamole, after reading the critical reviews I felt it important to share our wonderful experience. We stayed four nights and have nothing but great things to say.

Upon arrival we were met by a very pleasant individual, Marissa, who was most helpful throughout our stay. She showed us to our nice apartment, with a stunning view across the vineyards, to the church and the village of Lamole. The two level apartment was quaint and welcoming. We especially enjoyed the small terrace outside where we often relaxed with some cheese, meat, and a bottle of local wine.

Each morning we enjoyed a nice breakfast, with a wide selection of cereal, meat, cheese, jams, juice etc. It provided a great opportunity to meet and chat with other guests. The Castello also has an on-site restaurant - the Aia dei Canti, serving very good regional Tuscan meals. Of special interest was the mini-concert performed by Ricardo Marasco, the owner, and a well- known Italian folksinger, after dinner on Saturday evening. Unfortunately we don't speak Italian, but judging by the laughter of the full restaurant there were no doubt some very funny lyrics.

Lamole provides a good base for day trips through the Tuscan countryside. Nearby are Greve in Chianti, Volpai, Panzano, and Radda in Chianti, all of which have charm and a selection of restaurants. Nearby, we enjoyed a very memorable dinner at the Ristorante di Lamole, in the village of Lamole, a pleasant 1 km walk from the Castello. Centrally located day trips to either Florence or Sienna are easily doable in a day.

We thought our stay at the Castello di Lamole was perfect. If you are interested in a rural setting, the location, the apartment, the food, and the hospitality of Ricardo, his wife and Marissa all made for a most enjoyable stay. We would return in a minute, without hesitation.

• Liked — Friendly owner and staff, with the charm of the Castello and views a close second
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2008

Castello di Lamole is truly a unique and amazing holiday location in the heart of Tuscany. If you are looking for something really special and want to experience the true spirit of Tuscany, we can strongly recommend Castello di Lamole! Castello di Lamole is rustic in a very charming way indeed. So if you are looking for satellite TV, room service and air conditioning, Castello di Lamole is probably not for you; but if you appreciate peace of mind and the genuine spirit of Tuscany, you will love Castello di Lamole.

We have visited Castello di Lamole four times by now; and we still keep coming back for special occasions. We usually don’t go to the same holiday location twice; but in the case of Castello di Lamole we just cannot get enough: the location, the local restaurant, the way the host family is treating us as family members, etc. If you are lucky, Simonetta may be in the kitchen preparing her divine Ribollita.

Castello di Lamole is located in the heart of Tuscany right between Firenze and Siena. The local villages are Panzano and Greve in Chanti - for example, have the morning espresso at the main square of Greve in Chanti, get fresh bread and fruit from the market and Pecorino cheese as well; meat however, you would want to buy from the local butcher in Panzano who probably cuts the best “Bistecca di Fiorentina” in Tuscany. And if you are smart enough to visit during the wine harvesting period in September, everybody is enjoying the local wine tasting festivals.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

We are greatly looking forward to our third visit to Castello di Lamole in June 2008, and we consider it to be a wonderful place for a Tuscan vacation. It really is a medieval castello, a kind of tiny fortified village, high up in the hills above Greve, with marvellous views of the valley below -- and with an amazing chorus of Italian birdsong in the early morning. Our apartment was appropriately rustic and very comfortable, with kitchen facilities for light meals, beautiful interior stone walls, and a garden with a view. One of the particular delights of Castello di Lamole is the friendly, helpful and hospitable Marasco family, including Riccardo, who beautifully sings Tuscan folk songs in the restaurant at dinner time. Castello di Lamole is truly one of the most pleasant places we have ever stayed in. -- J&C, Vancouver, Canada

• Stayed May 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

In September, my husband and daughter and I stayed at this beautiful old castle in Lamole. We followed a winding road that took us up the vine covered slopes just south of Greve in Chianti, knocked-out by the green and sumptuous beauty that enveloped us. We were expecting to find an old Castle behind a ring of walls, but that was not to be the case. The walls had been torn down centuries before during the long wars between Florence and Siena. The rest of the buildings have now been refurbished to create a dozen good sized apartments, all of them done in a rustic Tuscan style. Our apartment was large, clean, well-furnished, well equipped, comfortable and quiet. We'd go back tomorrow if we could! Highlight of the stay was our dinner in the Castello's small restaurant when the owner, who turned out to be the famous Tuscan folksinger, Riccardo Marasco, began singing for his guests. This man's voice is designed for the public piazza - he sang beautifully without benefit of amplification. Truly magical!

traveller0007
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

It was far more basic than I expected, but most of all I felt unwelcome by the proprietors. They lost my reservation and moved me to another room which was not what I expected. The manager did not seem to care. After two nights we moved to another property near Castelina in Chianti where we treated with warmth and respect. I would not recommend Castello di Lamole.

• Liked — scenery
  • Disliked — rude manager
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

When travelling in Italy, there is nothing like the warm hospitality that so many Italians show their guests -- it's what keeps me coming back to this beautiful country. But this place, while surrounded by beautiful old buildings and scenery, was as cold as ice. We checked in near the same time as some italian-speaking guests -- the difference in how we were treated was dramatic. Let's just say that it was clear as to whom was made to feel more welcome.

After checking in, my ten-year old daughter was exploring the property and picked a flower from the vine near our apartment to put at our sitting area. As she picked the flower, an older woman, presumably from the owner's family, started yelling at her. And I mean yelling! Her treatment of my daughter was entirely uncalled for. She is a guest too! She would have let the flowers be if asked politely and calmly.

From that moment on, we were made to feel unwelcome. And my daughter felt like she was being watched like a hawk.

If you want some warm Italian hospitality during your trip, stay anywhere but here.

• Liked — scenery, location
  • Disliked — treatment by staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

In 25 years of working in the tourism/travel industry, I have never been treated with the level of disrespect that I have been shown by Castello di Lamole. I do not believe the management conducts their business with honesty and integrity. Do not give them your business! Just stay away for your own protection.

I reserved three apartments in May/07. Two apartments were used, but I had to cancel one reservation for family reasons. I was told they would apply my deposit to a future reservation. Fair enough.

I applied my deposit to a future reservation, had full and complete confirmation, they had my deposit money in the bank, then out of the blue I received notification that my reserved apartment was no longer available, they would move me to another apartment. It was the same trick they pulled with members of my family in May when they checked in: they tried to move them to the same lesser apartment (indoor access with far less privacy).

Given that they chose to sell my reserved apartment to other guests, I respectfully asked for my deposit to be refunded, but they flatly declined, saying it is non-refundable. The fight for the original apartment proved futile, so I reluctantly accepted the lesser apartment. Upon giving in, they then informed me that the new apartment was no longer available for all of my dates; I would have to check out two days early, and pay for the two vacant days prior to check-in to align with their Saturday-Saturday blocks (contrary to their previous correspondence and reservation confirmations).

They have my money, but twice (three times including my other family members) chose not to honour the reservation!
I asked again for my deposit to be returned so that I could stay elsewhere, and they said I forfeited it long ago. Their correspondence to me was arrogant, condescending, dismissive, insulting.

I have no choice but to stay elsewhere. But they still have my money! I feel it is now stolen from me. In summary, what happened here is a classic case of a business being very accommodating before they receive your deposit, then as soon as they have your non-refundable money in the bank, they change the rules for their own benefit, knowing their guests are powerless on another continent. They gradually squeezed me out of their property -- now they will have their apartments full PLUS an additional deposit for a guest they cannot accommodate! Disgraceful.

In my view, Castello di Lamole has no integrity. For them it is all about getting as much money as they can, however they can get it.

If you choose to go there, be prepared to get bumped.

Support businesses that treat you with respect, honesty and integrity.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Treatment by Management was Disrespectful
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family

Been to Castello di Lamole? Share your experiences!