This was our favourite place in Italy. We absolutely loved Chianti, and this B&B was so friendly and comfortable! Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, and we adored their little animal family too. The kitten and puppies would pop their heads into our apartment throughout the day, and the kitten even came and sat on the couch while my husband was working, and stayed for a cuddle. Adorable!
Our apartment had a little garden outside which made dining al fresco just lovely. We cooked every meal in our tiny kitchen, so didn’t take the owners up on the breakfast (which is an extra cost). The kitchens have most things you would need, but it is helpful to take a few items yourself – ours only had one knife which was blunt and made it difficult to slice onions etc, so would take a small utility knife (just pick one up in a supermarket). Also it might have been nice to have some things provided, like oil, salt and pepper, and even soap in the bathroom. None of this was in our apartment, but we had the foresight to bring soap and oil. Had to ask reception if we could borrow salt, and just did without pepper. Not a big issue, but definitely bring the things that you can’t cook without.
The bathroom is spacious, and so is the bedroom. The living/kitchen area is big and opens out onto the garden, so the afternoon was spent drinking Chianti and eating pasta al fresco. It was a great size for the price, and we were really happy with it.
We caught the bus down to Panzano from Florence. Luckily there is a stop almost right outside the B&B which made it easy. The bus driver was kind enough to let us know when it was the stop we wanted – just ask for Montagliari.
Panzano is only a short walk from here, but there is no footpath so we were walking on the road which was a bit scary at times! However, there is a small fruit/veg shop in Panzano that doesn’t open until 5pm, so we popped in there to top up our supplies halfway through the trip. Greve is 4km away, so is hard to get to without a car. However, the owners were kind enough to drop us off in Greve and then pick us up when we were done. Such great people!
Greve is great, definitely spend an afternoon here. There’s a butcher/cheese/wine shop where you can buy a card to taste a bunch of different wines, which is very decadent and a fabulous way to spend an hour or two. We also were lucky enough to visit the weekend market, and to go through some shops as well.
Our favourite activity was just wandering around the estate and nearby – there’s a winery a short walk down the road, and the scenery around is just amazing. We often didn’t go anywhere, though, as just hanging out at the apartment with the doors open was lovely. Prepare to relax and delight in the countryside!
We will definitely return to Chianti, and we will stay here again without hesitation. Service was impeccable and the apartment was lovely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Il Casello Country House B&B is an old Tuscan farmhouse that offers accommodation in charming rooms or self catering apartments. Located just outside the well-known wine town of Greve in Chianti, halfway between the cities of Florence and Siena, it is a perfect base for exploring this part of Tuscany.Our staff speak English, Italian, French, Spanish and Portugese and are always happy to give information and organise museum and restaurant reservations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Tingo, Priceline, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Il Casello Country House B&B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Il Casello Country House Hotel Greve In Chianti
- Il Casello Country House Bed And Breakfast
- Il Casello Country House B&B Greve In Chianti, Italy - Tuscany