“Best breakfast of Sicily” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Casa Sulla Collina D'oro

Save Saved
You added La Casa Sulla Collina D'oro to your Saves list
La Casa Sulla Collina D'oro
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mattarella s.n.c., 94015 Piazza Armerina, Sicily, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 10 hotels in Piazza Armerina
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Best breakfast of Sicily”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed only one night but we did enjoy the superb view on Piazza Armerina from the patio. The breakfast was the best we had in Sicily, plenty of choice from the croissants to the cheese.
The hosts were fanstastic and very helpful.

Kathleen

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

A beautiful location looking across to the town of Piazza Armerina.

The house has seven rooms for guests. The hosts were terrific - friendly and informative and treated us like friends, even making phone-calls on our behalf. Maria-Grazia is a professional tour guide and conducted a personal tour of the famous Villa Romana Casale with the mosaics on our one full day there. She also suggested we go to Aidone and Morgantina for some more local sightseeing - much appreciated.

The room was spacious and well-appointed - and breakfast was generous and tasty. WiFi was excellent - worked perfectly. The rooms are sound-proofed, so no noise from other guests.

The property is reasonably easy to find - if using a GPS note the location may not be accurate - but follow the brown signs to the property. Parking is adequate, but some trimming of the trees would help - to avoid vegetation on the driveway scraping against the car!

Note - on no account try driving off the main road into the 'centro storico' of Piazza Armerina. The signposting is non-existent, and getting out of the maze of streets is highly stressful if you are not a local.

All in all, highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

A sprawling hilltop home with sweeping 180 degree views across to Piazza Armerina. The patios provide an excellent spot to sip wine in the late afternoon and watch intensifying colors of the stucco buildings as the sun sets. Comfortable rooms with updated bathrooms. The hosts are friendly and very knowledgeable as both are academics and tour guides. Breakfast was a feast of fresh and local juices, fruit, meat, cheese, yoghurt and bread.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We have to join the ranks of those who love this B&B. The room, the breakfast, the staff and owners, the view....just perfect! We stayed two blessful nights. We hired Maria Grazia, one of the owners, to be our guide at the Villa Romana Del Casale. She made the visit most memorable. She also recommended that we visit Morgantina...which we really loved and would never have visited if not for her recommendation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Sitting in the comfort of my own home looking at the photos of my recent 2 night stay here I'm reminded how comfortable Luciano and Maria Grazia made us feel.They were the most hospitable host and hostess. Their B&B truly felt like home from the amazing breakfast spread, to their cozy living room where we sat by the fireplace and cracked walnuts laughed and told stories, to seeing my mother rocking in their rocking chair in the 'den' singing "Volare" to the CD Luciano was playing for us, to sitting at the dinner table eating pizza they ordered for us since we arrived so late on our first night, and last but certainly not least, to the outdoor kitty cats, especially "Positivo" who greeted us everytime we set foot on their property. (Personally one of the highlights of my stay.... cat lover that I am) :)
I even felt comfortable enough to come down from our 2nd floor room in a quasi halloween costume on the morning of October 31st!
Luciano and Maria Grazia were nice enough to even upgrade the room for one of the men in our party to a single, private room at no extra charge since they felt perhaps it may have been awkward for a young man to stay in a triple with his mother and aunt which was the original plan. How generous of them to think of his comfort!
A totally relaxed and homelike place to stay with an incredible view of Piazza Armerina, I highly recommend Luciano and Maria Grazia's B&B!!

Italia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at La Casa sulla Collina d'Oro last week for two nights - I hated to leave. The owners, Luciano and Maria Grazia, were warm and very welcoming and when they told me their house was 'my' house, I really felt like it was. The common rooms were filled with family momentos and often, the other guests staying at this B & B. They provide a computer for guests to use. A large table filled with local specialties greets guests each morning with a vast array of foods from which to choose - sweet to savory. All of this overlooking the town of Piazza Armerina - what a view!
My upstairs room was very clean and well appointed - I was very comfortable.
The best part of staying here is the ambiance the owners imbue - everyone feels like a part of a large and international family. I recommend this wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Ther are rooms in the main structure and other rooms in the garden. I stayed in the main structure a...
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at this B&B for two nights. I was placed in the second-floor "Alexis" room which turned out to be problematic. The room, particularly the bathroom, had a musty/moldy odor. When I used the shower the first morning of my visit, water appeared to rain from the wood beams of the ceiling, quickly flooding the bathroom floor.

At breakfast, I informed the co-proprietor, Maria Grazia, that there was a problem with the shower (I assumed that there was a leak somehow from the ceiling). She went up to the room with me; I had done my best to cover the floor of the bathroom with the few towels that I had been provided. She said "What is this?" and we went downstairs and she spoke to her husband, Luciano. Luciano had little English ability but, without going up to see the room, seemed to argue that the problem was due to "condensation", something to do with rain or the lack of rain, and said that the problem could have been avoided by opening the skylight. I note that there was no way to open the skylight (one would need a stepladder) so this was a silly thing to have suggested. While we were out that day, the room was cleaned to some degree and the skylight was opened.

The following morning, I again took a shower, though with much trepidation. I was careful to move all my belonging out of the bathroom before doing so. This time, while taking the shower, I realized what the problem was: there was a small hole or tear in the metallic shower hose leading to the movable shower head. This tear caused water to spray up uncontrollably. So what had happened the previous morning was that water had sprayed up, hit the wood roof, and then dripped all over the floor. This time, I attempted to solve the problem in a couple of ways. I covered the tear with my hand (not so effective), and I used the water spraying out of the tear as though it were the shower head (more effective). So this time there was essentially no flooding of the bathroom.

What troubles me about this is that the proprietors made no effort to inspect the shower the previous day, when they could easily have discovered the nature of the problem (as I, far from being a handy person, did the next morning), instead of blaming it on "condensation". This shows me that the proprietors are, at best, not competent managers of their own property. At worst, it shows a lack of due care. I wonder also if the musty odor was the result of flooding experienced by some earlier guest, and thus a failure to correct a problem encountered at an earlier time.

I had trouble sleeping the second night. The room is not in any way soundproofed and I heard noise from the staff/proprietors on the first floor, noise from adjacent rooms (for example I could hear a guest in an adjacent room snoring). Moreover, there were mosquitoes in the room the second night. Since none of my fellow guests (in other rooms) complained about mosquitoes, I must assume that the Alexis room may be particularly prone to having mosquitoes (the mustiness and bathroom flooding problems may be relevant).

The bed was not thoroughly clean (there were hairs on the pillows and sheets). They were not my hair, as they were long and light brown. I would not be so surprised to see that level of cleanliness in, say, a 3-star big city hotel, but one would expect better at a B&B of the calibre noted by a number of the other reviews here. My suspicion is that they ordinarily do not use the Alexis room for guests, but I don't know.

I should note that none of my fellow guests appeared to have any problems or complaints, so this must be specific to the Alexis room. I think if you stay at this B&B, you should demand not to stay in that particular room. But I cannot give this B&B anything more than a "poor" rating regardless of the specificity of the problem with the room, because of the response of the proprietors to the problem when I explained it to them. Even if they had no reason to be aware of a tear in the shower hose in that particular room on my first night, they could have inspected it the next day and purchased a replacement or offered me a different room, or a different room in which to take a shower. This again reveals a lack of care or competence, or both, on the part of the proprietors of this B&B.

Room Tip: Avoid "Alexis" room, as explained in my review. Note the other negative reviews of this B...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to La Casa Sulla Collina D'oro? Share your experiences!