“Mixed feelings” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel l'Approdo

You added Grand Hotel l'Approdo to your Saves list
Grand Hotel l'Approdo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Panoramica 1, 73030 Santa Maria di Leuca, Castrignano del Capo, Italy   |
Rome, Italy
“Mixed feelings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We are frequent travellers both for work and leasure. We were not very happy with our stay at L'approdo, a hotel that we would rate as 3 stars max, not as 4 stars.The asking price is too high for what the hotel actually is. The pictures shown on the website and on tripadvisor (perhaps put by the hotel staff?) are definetly missleading: the swimming pool is very small, probably 15 m by length or less and not nice; we stayed in a traditional room, very different from the pictures shown on the website.Traditional = dated. The room was clean and we slept well, but the price was a rip off. When we arrived we were told that there might be wifi connection in the room, but the receptionist was not sure???guess what? There was no wifi connection in the room.The service at the restaurant is appalling and it is a pity because the food is very good: at breakfast the waiters talk to each other instead of attending the guests, you have to get up from the table and approach them if you wish to get a cup of coffee; at dinner we asked to sit closer by the sea, but the waiters didn't understand our request and there were free tables.
After 8:00 there is no loung bar at the hotel. The swimming pool bar closes and there is no bar at the reception.
The best part of the reception is used as a 'trendy shop' therefore there is only one sofa left for the guests to sit on.
All and all we will not go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the new rooms. Do not stay in the tradional ones, they are dated
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed here recently with some friends during the Cat Laughs weekend in Kilkenny, this is a super B&B in lots of ways - has the feel of a small boutique hotel going on , great city location, lovely fresh rooms, really warm host (Rosie)and good value for money. This will be my default for weekends in Kilkenny from here on and I would suggest it should be yours too!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had a joyful stay in Grand Hotel l'Approdo thanks to the warm hospitality with lots of attention and nice style from Family Rossi and team. The ultimate location of the hotel with view on port/seaside/lighthouse near the exclusive private Samarinda Beach is perfect. The house decoration with atelier/boutique, panoramic terrace with nice pool+lounge area is tasteful and relaxing, the food delicious and the double room use single very big and comfortable. The half board pension at the beginning of the season is very affordeable.
The region offers many wonderful nature and cultural sites...short:sublimissimo!

Hopefully I will be able to come next year at the same season.
Marylène, Switzerland/France

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

A friend of mine wrote a review in Portuguese and unfortunately came out very distorted. So i am going to review again. At arrival, the reception staff let us choose our triple room, with a side view to the Marina. Without a doubt the best food we ate in Puglia was in the hotel restaurant!!!!! The pool area was very pleasant too. Every day, in the morning, the reception staff helped us plan our day and the days and beaches and tips were spot on! We had also a problem with a tyre and all the men in the hotel helped us. We did not move a finger! And finally, I would like to add that one night, it was our friend's bday so we bought a cake and some wine outside of the hotel and they lent us everything, plates, glasses, etc. Loved it!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011 via mobile

Too expensive for what we did (not) get. Staff was trying their best, but clearly they are not professionally trained. We got the impression that the owners of the hotel give erratic quality of the experience to guests. Food with respect to other reviews Is overrated, certainly very good, but worth trying other restaurants in the area.

• Stayed August 2011
Copenhagen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Firstly, I should mention that two times during our stay at Hotel L'Approdo, the staff and owner asked me and my husband whether we knew Tripadvisor, and if we would please write a positive review of the hotel here once we returned home. I have never before been directly asked to do this at a hotel, and to me it seemed quite pushy and way too direct. My attitude is generally that people write positive reviews if they had a great experience, but encouraging guests to do this very directly is sort of bad manners to me. Anyway, with mostly Italian guests, my hunch is that the hotel is hoping for more international guests in the future - and asking an English-speaking guest such as myself to help with some "Tripadvisor branding" is a way to try and get more international exposure. I thought it could have been done much more elegantly, and I would have preferred not to be asked at all.

To the review itself: My husband and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights during peak session in august 2011 at a superior double room rate of EUR 269. Although the stay was okay, at this price and accounting for a four-star rating, I had expected something more luxurious. We stayed in one of the renovated rooms with a small balcony on the 1st floor overlooking the habour, which was nice. The room was refurbished in neutral colors with a nice bed and okay space, however, the quality of the materials seemed cheap and standard, especially in the bathroom. The fan for the airconditioning for the room next door was situated on our balcony blowing warm air and noise into our room. The reception and common areas were not renovated to the more "cool" level of the first floor rooms and hallways and seemed a bit outdated.

The terrace of the restaurant was lovely with a nice breakfast buffet (considering that breakfasts even at top Italian hotels can be somewhat disappointing). We did not add the option of a four-course evening menu every night, but tried the restaurant one of the evenings, when I took the menu for close to the same price as when full-board is selected and my husband went a la carte. The menu at EUR 30 was good and fair value for money - I cannot say the same about my husband's lobster spaghetti. Even though the lobster was fresh and tasted good, you cannot charge EUR 100 for a small lobster!!! I was not told the price until I paid the collected bill at check-out, and I was truly appalled.

The pool area was the best thing about the hotel. It has seaview, a fair size pool, sofabeds, a hammock and a pool bar serving nice panini, snacks and drinks during the day. With few hotels in Santa Maria di Leuca offering pools, this is the one thing I can think of that might justify a high room rate (but still not as much as 269).

Generally, the service was friendly and courteous, but a bit on the stiff side (like a hotel and restaurant trying to be more fancy that it really needs to be). For me, a joyful and smiley staff that seems comfortable and happy with what they do works much better than a stiff upper lip.

I would recommend the hotel if you are a couple or small family passing through the small towns along the coast and would like a place to recharge your batteries by a much-needed pool for one day before hitting the road again. I would not recommend it for longer stays (simply not worth the money).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
approdoleuca, Proprietario at Grand Hotel l'Approdo, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Dear guest,
We are always glad to receive reviews, even if they are not so positive because in this way we can improve year by year. We don't usually ask to publish good reviews but we use to get a feeling with our guest and this is our strengh. The best thing that our customers can say is: i felt like home!! So everybody is free to write his thought and trip advisor is a right way to compare and share opinions.

So i hope that you will have a nice memory of your stay in Apulia.

At your service anytime

Hotel l'Approdo
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for a weekend. The check-in, check-out process was easy and fast. The rooms were clean, beautiful and very very spacious. I particularly enjoyed the swimming pool which was like a little oasis of heaven.

What made a lasting impression, though, was the service of the hotel. They were very accommodating - from offering late check-out to complimentary coffee in the morning (after we missed the breakfast).

All in all, a very good experience and I would like to return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel l'Approdo? Share your experiences!