“Marvellous place for families” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Vegetarian, International
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Denmark
“Marvellous place for families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Delicious food, lovely service, friendly to kids. Difficult to find, but almost always full at 20.00 every night.

• Visited July 2011

Sydney, Australia
“Don't Miss It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

We came across this restaurant by accident, as we wandered the streets of Levanto; and decided to return here to eat - and are very glad that we did. The mixed platter entrée and the seafood risotto we had were just superb. Three of us shared these two dishes for two, and it was my favourite meal of the trip.

• Visited May 2011
Santa Fe NM
“This is a restaurant where I would be quite content to sit down, and let Olimpia Bono-owner/chef select the menu.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

My wife Karen and I stumbled onto this restaurant in the tiny Vicolo Molinelli in the Old Town in Levanto as we were returning from a hike towards Punta Mesco; we arrived after 2 pm, closing time for lunch. The owner, Olimpia Bono said "Sure you can have lunch" That was the start of four happy days of food and friendship with Olimpia, her husband Walter and their son Thomas. For lunch the first day I had fresh anchovies marinated in lemon juice and then a primi of pasta con cozze (mussels), Karen had trofie al pesto genovese (fresh pasta with pesto, potatoes and green beans) and vino bianco della casa (wine house wine). Walter then treated us to a shot of limoncello as a disgestif-wow! All this for 40 euro. Thomas, age 5, ever the marketing agent, drew us a map so we would come back for another meal (we have it on our refrigerator)
The next day we returned for a dinner of wonderful seafood and pasta, orata (seabream) and pasta with clams. After dinner we asked Olimpia what we should order the next day, as we already knew we were coming back. She told us that Scorfano was the best fish of the sea, if she could get it, that is what we should have. I asked her when she would know, and she told us, "When the fisherman calls me in the morning, he tells me what he caught, then I will know" We did have Scorfano, and if you get the chance, how delicious! To me it tasted a bit like lobster. Translated, it is Porcupine Fish, as it has needle like fins, in colloquial Italian it means ugly, which the fish is. (I do not know of an equivalent in the US.) On the Saturday before Easter, we made reservations, recommended, especially on the weekends and probably in the summer (they don't open until 7pm) we shared a trofie al pesto for our primi and then shared a scampi as our main course. Jovahna, the very efficient waitress, let us know it was perfectly OK to share, "uno per due" as we learned. Walter, who hosts the front of the house while Olimpia runs the kitchen, taught us about the various disgestifs over the four days, Limoncello and Limoncino (I still don't know if there is a difference), Mirto (from Sicily) and Amaro, a type of bitters, his favorite is Valtalina from his home in the Ticino in Northern Italy. Also, ask Walter to recommend a bottle of wine, he has some really good ones.
Olimpia worked in Brooklyn USA for two years and speaks English very well, Walter, English and German, and Jovahna, Spanish and English. At least that I know of. However this is a restaurant where I would be quite content to sit down and just let Olimpia and the kitchen serve me lunch or dinner.
The signs say Pizzaria Totano Blu, however Olimpia does not serve pizza. She has renamed the restaurant Trattoria Griglieria Totano Blu and plans to change the signs. Walter is finishing up an outdoor courtyard dining area, I can't wait to go back. Whatever the name of the restaurant we enjoyed it immensely, as did many locals who were in the majority during dinner when we were there.
Only a 10-15 minute walk from the train station, this is a perfect place for lunch on your day trip to Levanto.

• Visited April 2011