“just relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Zürich, Schweiz
“just relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

we had a wounderful and relaxing week in this agriturismo.the staff is very kind & helpful... thanks again form helping us with the car!
We loved the fantastic fresh figs and the delicious olive oil each morning.
If you looking for a quiet place with authentic, italian food Moresani is a good place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New Hapshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I am so glad I stayed at I Moresani. The rooms are very comfortable, the scenery is spectacular, the sea is only a few miles away, and Filomena's cooking made me look forward to every evening. There was a nice family atmosphere which I appreciated even though I was traveling alone. It was peaceful and quiet. Each and every staff person was fantastic and accommodating. I would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Naples
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I came to I Moresani for the food, the tranquility and the riding, and all were more delicious than I imagined! And this really is a family affair, the I Moresani family making you feel as comfortable as you do at home!
Most of the food comes directly from the family farm. When they are not eating fresh hay indoors a herd of goats, whose tinkling bells can be heard in the distance, wander around the fields (tended by Lily - the ‘goat’ dog) - munching on lovely fresh grass and wild herbs. No wonder their meat and cheese has such a fresh, yet intense, taste. Of course, the cheese also owes a lot to Carmine who makes it with such care in the ‘laboratorio’. Carmine also creates the irresistible sausages, proscuitto and cleverly spiced salami from their own nicely rotund pigs. There are also chickens, guinea fowl, turkeys and a small herd of cows which belong to a rare southern Italian breed. Beef isn’t always on the menu, but when it is it is not to be missed!
They also make their own pasta by hand (not a pasta ‘machine’ in sight - I spent a day doing the same at one of the cooking courses- and it makes you realise how much better fresh hand made pasta tastes, particularly when joined by a sauce such as - wild asparagus (gathered from the surrounding woods) or zucchini and zucchini flowers. My favourite is ravioli stuffed with ricotta and olives, coated with a lemon sauce. Naturally the olives come from their own groves as do the lemons!
Top chef is Filomena (Carmine is one of her sons, the other son Domenico is the waiter with the mostest who makes sure your every whim is catered to...) who makes all the delicious sauces, the great selection of anti pasta made from garden vegetables ranging from aubergines to sweet peppers and stuffed courgette flowers, although my favourite is battered courgette flowers fresh from the kitchen!
She also makes the absolutely astounding array of sweets and cakes - tiramasu to die for, strawberry sponges filled with strawberry mousse, tarts filled with her own thick fruits jams made from figs, mulberries oranges etc.

So this is what I am offered on a typical day:

Breakfast: Fresh goats cheese, tomatoes, peaches, freshly made bread, olive oil, butter, three or four jams, honey, proscuitto, croissants, marble cake, strawberry tart, puffs bursting with Nutella ( a national obsession) freshly made omlette, boiled eggs,

Dinner: Anti pasti: sweet peppers in olive oil, hot peppers in olive oil, green beans and zucchini dressed with lemon oil and mint, battered courgette flowers, scarola ( a local green vegetable) three different cheeses (made here) proscuitto.

Primi piatti: risotto with fresh peas and broad beans, fusilli with tomato sauce, ravioli stiffed with goats cheese with a pumpkin sauce

Secondi Piatti: Parmigiana; grilled chicken, grilled kid (young goat) sausages, roast pork flavoured with lemon with roast potatoes.

And: salad (again from the garden) and chips - real chips that Filomena cuts by hand and deep fries - this is the real thing

Dessert: Strawberries; tiramasu, sponge with chocolate creams; semi-freddo made from ricotta and flavoured with seasonal fruit, chocolate cake etc.....

And then, to work off some of the calories, there is the riding. And, there can be no better way to see Cilento than on horse back - breathtaking glimpses of an intense blue sea, and mile upon mile of rolling hills, blossoming with wild flowers whose intense colours are breathtaking - and in the hills as well as the farm, everything hums with life, butterflies, bees, dragon flies - because here they are not killed by pesticides, sadly it makes me realise how barren much of the English countryside is, in comparison.
We ride through streams, across rivers and through ancient country paths where the grasses and trees brush our shoulders, and the birds song is sweet and strong. We forge down valleys, alongside vinyards and olive groves, this really is being in nature. Sometimes we go out for a day, and then we climb up to the top of a hill and, Domenico brings us a wonderful picnic lunch, or sometimes we BBQ besides a rushing river. On a whole day’s ride I’ve trotted through the cobbled streets of ancient villages nestling just below the hills summit. Just like something from a dream!

If you sign up for a weeks riding, like many of my new friends, then everyday Marco, the horseman, will guide you to a new fascinating destination and sometimes for a fantastic canter on the beach! - or you can like me just go ad hoc and take rides in the morning or afternoon, when you want - and if I feel hot and sticky after a ride, I plunge into the swimming pool and cool off!
And all the horses are strong, safe and well behaved. Even a total beginner need have no fear ... and Marco, horse supremo, selects the best horse for you. I hadn’t ridden for twenty years, but Nina a lovely dark brown horse who can’t stop eating, made me feel at home at once! while Velia, a solid chestnut cob who when she wants can fly like the wind was my perfect companion when I wanted some lessons. But my heart belongs to Jasalmina the donkey!
What else to say? The rooms are clean and comfortable ..
And I wish I could stay forever!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We spent amazing 3 day at the I Moresani right after the new years. Arriving was a bit challenging as we left Rome quite late and it was difficult to find the place in complete darkness even with GPS. But it was worth it! We found everything we were looking for: beautiful scenery, tranquility, amazing food and wonderful people. We were three couples, and we stayed at the Casa Mortella which we found to be very cozy and well maintained. Restaurant is great, both atmosphere and food-wise. We have a three year old girl who loved it there. All the family who run I Moresani are wonderful people who make you feel really at home. I would recommed this place to anyone looking for natural beauty and tranquility away from the cities. But be ready to gain a couple of extra pounds - the food is irresistable! I am already looking forward to my next trip there!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed a full week in mid-September and thoroughly enjoyed it. The setting is beautiful and relaxing. Gino and his family members - our hosts - as well as staff who were not related were terrific! We also had the good fortune of having four other riders who were very sympatico, which is helpful, as you will spend a great deal of your waking hours with them either riding or at meals.
The riding is over rugged terrain and is more challenging that what we expected based on the description of 'intermediate' riding, but we fared well. Reference the review of 19 April 2012, I actually had the same horse - Ziggy. Marco, the guide, asked me the first day to ride at the rear because the horse sometimes kicks a following horse. Ziggy didn't buck for me over 5 days of riding, and I spent part of 3 days not at the rear of the line - he didn't kick any other horse, but several of them (mares) were not willing to stay behind him. My wife had a horse that frustrated her at times (he would pull his head and therefore the reins when going downhill, now matter how much head you gave him), but she is nevertheless quite pleased with our overall experience.
The food at all meals was delicious and plentiful. Our room (Il Gelso) was great, but the pillows are a bit too firm and rather large, so it's difficult to adjust them to one's preference. All in all, though, this was a key part of a very special 18-day trip to Italy.

Room Tip: We stayed in Gelso; a room with a small porch. It was great, and quieter than the rooms without a p...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter (14 y/o) for 4 full days. We arrived in the Naples airport in the morning of 1 April and took the train to Valla della Lucania and departed by train the morning of 6 April. They picked us up at the train station and drove us back. We stayed in the Il Gelso room, and it was very nice.

The room was very clean. We requested 2 twin beds, which is what we got (it can also be made up as a king, I think). It has an ensuite bathroom, and a lovely little covered patio outside the door. I didn't think the beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept in (you could feel the springs), but I had no trouble sleeping. I usually sleep with earplugs, but DD said it was completely silent and I didn't need them. I'm a light sleeper, though, so I kept using them. There was no alarm clock provided, but we always have a travel alarm. There was a kettle with teabags and instant coffee, but no milk. Also, I noticed after DD made tea one night the teabags were not replaced, although the cups and spoons were. I think they also have family rooms with kitchenettes, but I didn't see any rooms but ours.

The bathroom was also very clean. The shower was quite small. I did not have any problem with this, but a larger person might. If you look at the pictures, I put my shoe (US size 8.5) in the opening for perspective. We did discover that the whole corner opens, so the opening is about twice that size, but still not very big. The bathroom itself was a good size though.

We did ride. I unfortunately fell off twice the first day. I'm not sure what happened the first time, but the 2nd time, the horse bucked when we were supposed to be starting a canter. I don't know whether this was due to something I did, or if he has a tendency to buck. I'm a little suspicious that he has a tendency to buck, as the first thing the guide said after I fell was "What did he do? Did he buck?" which would not be my first reaction for a fall from a horse that I didn't see. I would say that likely the first fall was me getting unbalanced, but I think the second time was the horse. DD did not have any issues. I did note that that horse (Ziggy) was used on the 2nd day when we were just walking, but not on the 3rd or 4th days. This is only the 2nd time we've been on a riding vacation, and I didn't have any problems on the one in Wales although we also cantered there, and I canter at home regularly and am comfortable at the canter. However, I'm not sure I like the whole trail ride vacation thing, as the horses tend to do what the ride leader does instead of what the rider tells them to. So they start to canter when the ride leader does whether you told them to or not. That said, DD did not have any problems, and neither did the other woman who rode with us. I ended up with a severely bruised back. Fortunately, I was wearing a helmet. I also managed to sprain my ankle fairly badly, but that was just twisting it on uneven ground. I rode the 2nd day as we were just walking, but it is very mountainous (the reason we were walking) and it was too much for my ankle. I also didn't think I could post to the trot due to my back, so I didn't ride the 3rd and 4th days. DD did though. She liked the 4 days, but said by the 4th day it was starting to seem all the same and was ready for something else. Both of us thought the horses were not as responsive to reins or leg as the ones we ride at home. I think that's fairly standard for trail horses though. They said they have helmets available, but we took our own.

We had planned to ride 3 days and rent a car for the 4th day and drive to Paestum, but DD wanted to ride, and I didn't want to sit in a car all day (it was hurting my back to sit), so we ended up skipping the car rental thing. I Moresani will arrange a rental car for you if you want. I think this would be a great thing to do, as I found a lot of places I would like to go in the area. However, I would do some research on the driving, as we rode on quite a few roads, and I didn't see any street signs except actually in the villages. (Another reason I decided not to drive.) I guess the main routes probably have signs, though.

The rides we did were all day. You leave around 10AM, ride to somewhere for lunch. They call it a picnic, but they bring it up by SUV and it's an actual meal. We had stuffed artichokes, a pasta dish, eggplant parmesan, etc. After lunch you ride back and get back usually around 16:30 ish. The rides were to a convent, a medieval castle, the top of a mountain near a vineyard, and an overlook that looked out over the area about 2/3 of the way up Mount Stella (which I think is about 3000 ft high, if I remember right). The area is very mountainous, so you are riding up some pretty steep hills a lot of the time. Be prepared to do a lot of standing in the stirrups for this part. The first day we also rode on the beach. I think sometimes they canter/gallop on the beach, but the sand was too soft the day we went. It's a beautiful beach, though. On the 2 days I didn't ride, I rode up in the SUV with the man taking the lunch and had lunch with the riders. They also offer 2 hour rides and arena (outside) rides. It rained the last day, and they had ponchos available. Our group was only ever 3 or 4 people. (Us, the French woman, and once a German woman who is working there for the summer and trying to learn the rides.)

The guide spoke English relatively well. I wouldn't say he was completely fluent, but certainly well enough to do the guides and have conversations at lunch. English does seem to be the common language, as on one of our lunches we had 2 Americans, 2 Italians (both from I Moresani), a French woman, and a German woman, all talking in English.

I think staying at an agriturismo is a great way to get to know the Italians, as it is family run and you get a chance to actually talk to the people who live there and run it. The pace is slower than staying in a city and it is very relaxing. Most of the other guests were German. There was a French woman living in Germany there, and on our last day some people from the UK arrived. I don't know if it was just when we were there, or if the guests are mainly German, as they advertise on their website that they have German and English speaking staff. There were a couple of families with kids who seemed to go off and do things by car during the day.

Breakfast is a buffet with bread, goat cheese (there was goat cheese at every meal as they make it there), some sort of cake (varied), cereal, and fruit. The oranges were amazing. They grow on the property. The woman who does the cooking offered us omelets one day and eggs another day, but the buffet was enough for us. Too bad you can't bring fruit back through US Customs, as I would have loved to bring some oranges back! I don't know what you get for lunch if you don't ride.

Dinner was bread, a starter of either salami and cheese or vegetables. Next there was a pasta dish and then a main. There were 2 or 3 choices of each. Goat was usually a choice, and we also had pork a lot. I think there was also often a vegetable main (not sure if it was actually vegetarian). After that there were 2 or 3 dessert choices, many involving chocolate. I thought the food was good, although they only ever seemed to have the one goat cheese and I was a little tired of it by the end. The meals were quite large if you got all the courses, and they seemed to think we didn't eat enough if we couldn't finish it. They had choices of wine at dinner, although we always drank water (I don't drink.) They had a red wine at lunch, which I think they make there. Again I didn't drink that, but drank water. I mostly drink water at home too, so that was fine.

Really my only concern was the bucking. This is of course a risk anytime you ride, but if he bucks regularly (which I don't know) then I don't think he should be being used as a trail horse for guests. Obviously, however, I felt safe enough to let DD ride without me the last 2 days.

I would definitely go back. I'm still debating on whether I would ride again, but I think I would. I just don't want to ride Ziggy again, and just for my peace of mind might stick to walk/trot rather than canter/gallop. However, they cantered (or galloped, I'm not sure which) on the last 2 days and everyone was fine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Excellnt in every respect, the accomodation, the pool, the friendliness of the service, the location and especially the food, much of what you eat is produced on the property.
We chose i Moresani because we wanted to visit the Cilento, which we loved, but we would happily return to i Moresani wherever it was, and learn to horse ride?

Room Tip: Accomodation in the main houe is close to the resataurant but a walk to the pool.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Agriturismo I Moresani? Share your experiences!