“Chance of a life time, twice!! You must stay here at the hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Visit Castello Aragonese like an insider
Special Offer
$63*
and up
Sorrento Super Saver: Amalfi Coast Day Trip plus...
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Ischia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Brantford, Canada
“Chance of a life time, twice!! You must stay here at the hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Back in 1997, a professor of mine recomended this majestic location for a weekend stay to a few of my university friends and I. Because our prof was so mean and self righteous, we reluctantly took his recommendation. There must have been a heavenly reason for our studious sufferings! The place was AMAZING. Back then we paid $60 lire each for a 2 night stay at this "pensione" including a breakfast and homemade dinner (to this day we talk about the fried cheese!)!!! We had a room with a balcony with STUNNING views, a sink, and a small trek up a few stairs to a shared bathroom. I was just a kid then,but I knew this place was special. A historic castle, perched upon a mount that thrushes out of the ocean, it is too fantastical to describe.

I was able to finally stay here once again in 2009! This time with my husband! As per my previous trip, there had been renovations and a change of caretakers/management. Originally i was concerned, however, it remained to be the jem I remembered it as. I was delighted to pay the very reasonable 110 euros a night (we stayed 7 days). This included a fantastic buffet breakfast with luncheon meats, cheese, cereals, yogurts, coffee tea, breads, dessert cakes, fruits--all on the large covered veranda with sea views. Our white room was decorated in a blue and white tile, and some antique furniture. Very relaxing. We had the view over the breakfast veranda, (one night occupied by a wedding), with extended sights over the walkway towards the entrance, the docked boats in the bay, and of course the ocean. Needless to say, a cazillion photos. Unfortunately, we never had a chance to try the gourmet dinners at the hotel (of three attempts, fish was the meal, and my loser husband doesn't eat fish), but the other guests we spoke to said they were superb. There are many stairs (as in most Italian hotels), but you will find that there are also many breaks you will take to hang over the ancient stone walls for breathtaking views. So the climb won't take much effort. The elevator tunnel can be intimidating, but take it from me (my husband & drunk friends accidentally stranded me at the bottom one night, where I stood alone waiting for the ride to go to the top and down again) you'll survive. We all had a great laugh that night. Getting to ischia itself can be a bit of a challenge, I am of Italian background, so that helped. However, I convinced two non Italian friends from Canada to join us, and they found it a bit trying, they did make it there unscathed (definitely take suggestions on web about getting through Naples to the port).
The porter suggested we try the natural thermal spa complex called negombo, 25 euro per person. I'm not a spa person, but i talked my husband into going a second time, LOVED IT. Went by bus (make sure you properly punch time on bus tickets, inspectors checked us)
The whole island is great, we love that by the castello there are a decent amount of shops & restaurants. The castello also sells spa skin care products, fantastiic too! We had great food everywhere. Pick up some limoncello! Beautiful churches. Went swiming in some rocky cavernous areas, also at the public beaches. So much fun exploring, it's also so relaxing, it's just so UNIQUE. Can't wait to return.
The whole place is just a dream..one of top ten imaginations of what heaven would be.

Visited August 2011

• Polish first
Mamaroneck, New York
22 attraction reviews
“Castello is the highlight of Ischia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Castello Aragonese is at once romantic and domineering. Its prominence on the Ischia skyline makes it hard to avoid and who would want to? Cross the little causeway and you are in another time. Take the elevator to the top and allow at least 3 hours to explore all that this gem has to offer. There is a cafe and a hotel at the top as well.....and don't forget your camera. Panoramic views you will never forget.

Visited May 2012
Gainesville, Florida
17 attraction reviews
“Very interesting!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Loved our visit to the castle. For one thing it is such an imposing and recognizable landmark or Ischia, that you really feel impelled to visit it. There is a lift, but seemed way too claustrophobic, so we decided to take the stairs. The walk was not nearly as difficult was we had imagined. The views were amazing and just strolling around the top was worth the effort.

Visited May 2012
Charlotte, NC
12 attraction reviews
“Stunning Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Rode the ferry from Naples and spent a few hours at Ischia, I walked from the Port to the Castello Aragonese. It was about a 50 minute walk and I was not hurrying, you pass many great shops, bars and dining options. Bing Maps says it is a little over 1.5 miles and it is mostly flat. If you don’t want to walk back, cabs are waiting at the castle, you can also take the #7 bus.

It was 10 Euro to get in the castle, there is an elevator that will tale you up and you can work your way down or walk up and down. I walked. The Castle is mostly ruins but they have fixed up a few areas and the views are breathtaking. A cafe at the top for a coffee or beer, they also have a full menu. The walk back to the port was a little more hurried as I had to catch the ferry, probably took 30 minutes or a little less. I say I it is worth the trip just for the views alone.

Visited April 2012
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Castle, convent and prison”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Lots of history and amazing views of Ischia. Loved the tame gulls which would pose for photos in return for food.

Visited September 2011