“Amazing views with great food an friendly staff to boot!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Da Maria

You added Da Maria to your Saves list
Da Maria
1.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Via Vecchia Cartaromana 79, 80070 Ischia, Isola d'Ischia, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 17 Ischia B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing views with great food an friendly staff to boot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Da Maria is like coming home to your big Italian family! Everyone is very friendly and very helpful. You really feel as if you will be missed when you leave.

The views over the bay of Naples and Castel Aragonese are amazing. The food at the restaurant was the best I've had on my 8 day trip to southern Italy.

If you are worried about the slightly remote location you shouldn't worry too much. The taxi boat used by the hotel is very efficient and not too expensive. (3 euros in total to go back and forth from the hotel to Ischia Ponte)

I would recommend this to my friends and family and everyone else really!

• Stayed May 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Couple of things to note before you book this wonderful hotel. The access from the road is very awkward. The taxi from the port to the hotel (cost €15) and a distance of 4km, drops you at the top of a path down to the hotel. This is the only access from the road. It is not easy to navigate, has many steps down, and is very dark in places at night. The alternative route is via taxiboat that can be pre arranged from Ponte Ischia (but you still need to get the number 7 bus from the port) and you still need to climb steps to the hotel from the beach where the taxiboat drops you off.

The receptionist is Enza, who is lovely from the outset. Welcoming and extremely helpful. Her English isn't spot on, but she is more than capable of deciphering what you say to her and is learning all the time. The room was very small but I don't tend to spend much time in my room when i'm away. The bed was made every morning for me, the bathroom was a bit small but I managed. It was all cleaned thoroughly by a lady with a permanent smile on her face, who always said good morning. There are only about 15 rooms, and there isn't a lift, but don't let that put you off. There are staff to help with luggage.

Breakfast was excellent, lots of bread/toast, yoghurts, cereals and cold meats and eggs. Plenty of tea and coffee, and 3 or 4 different fruit juices to re invigorate your tastebuds from drinking too much vino and Peroni ;-)

The restaurant (again run entirely by family) is excellent. Great food, reasonable prices, good wine, friendly service, and right on the beach next to the sea. I was made to feel welcome and the staff loved to chat and find out about me as a person.

There is a pool and the hotel has its own private little beach too. The view from my balcony was of the Castello Aragonese which is well worth a visit (cost €10) and takes about 2 to 3 hours to wander round, soak up 700 years of history and take in the breath taking views of Ischia port and Ischia Ponte from various vantage points in the castle.

Ischia is a smallish island, and extremely beautiful. Make the most of the buses that go round the island. The drivers aren't too helpful, and the buses do get rammed full, so be warned, you may have to stand all the way, and there is no "queue" you gotta make your presence felt by becoming Italian (barge and elbow others in the jaw!) but its all good fun, and part of being in Ischia.

I would highly recommend this value for money, friendly and ideally located hotel. Peaceful, with fantastic views its a bargain not to be passed over.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

The location on it's own private beach is amazing. The views are spectacular. The restaurant absolutely delicious. Even though the location is a bit remote, they offer a convenient transfer by boat to Ischia Ponte pretty much any time you want... and other water taxis call there as well for further locations.
The rooms are immaculate, although the bathrooms are not great, there is no "real" shower, the shower head is right above the toilet, so everything gets wet when you shower.
There was only one really bad thing - the first 24 hrs of our 5 day stay was really tense because they tried to charge us double (980eu instead of 500eu) because we booked a double instead of a triple (an extra bed for our son.)
It was my mistake to assume we could fit in a double (which we have done with no problem in the past) but they said by law that we needed a triple --- that was all fine, and even before we left, I did some research and I knew that most hotels charge a supplement of about 25% for children. But they added a supplement of 100%!!! I didn't argue this at first because we were tired of traveling and just wanted to lie down and unpack and relax and we had already spent almost an hour arguing about how they could accommodate us.
The next day, when I had relaxed and rested, I informed the young lady that we had dealt with the day before that we did not agree with the charges and she became quite irate and irrational, saying things like if we don't like the price we should leave and she wanted immediate payment. I told her I would be happy to pay, but no more than 25% and that I would only pay when she provided me the hotel's price list, which by law needs to be displayed -- she refused stating that prices fluctuate and that was the new price (love or leave it!!) All the meanwhile she was holding our passports hostage until we paid ---> also illegal.
I kept calm and stuck to my guns (also conferred with some local experts on the legality of all this and spoke to a carabiniere, without pressing charges) and within a few hours the young lady calmed down and we came to a reasonable price. Her colleague was very apologetic and the rest of the stay was great and uneventful all the staff was polite and cordial. I did see this young lady get mad at other people (family members i presume, not guests -- she seems to have a short temper!!)

Room Tip: get a room with a view of the sea. some rooms face the cliff.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Peaks Island, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Da Maria is a special and wonderful place to stay on Ischia that I read about on tripadvisor. Every family member works hard from sun up to well after sunset meeting all of your needs and always with smiles on their faces. Ansa who greets you on arrival is most helpful and organizes anything that's need to be done. The rooms are spotless and cleaned thoroughly each day. It's location although is slightly remote but Johnnie is only a phone call away to pick you up at the Villa Antonio dock right in the Ponte. The food in the resturant was always good and were treated to Mama Maria herself giving us a cooking demonstration of her eggplant dish that is to die for. Thank you again Maria for that wonderful memory. Da Maria has its own private beach with free sunbeds for your use...the water was amazingly clean...the flowers on the terraces were beatiful and so colorful...Grazie to all the family for making our first three nights of our trip so special.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a night at the Da Maria Hotel. Really clean and tidy, staff were very helpful. Rooms fairly small but we were only in there to sleep to didn't cause a problem. For a week it may be a bit cramped. Really pleased overall with this hotel, although the water taxi wasn't in use so we had to constantly pay for taxis to the main ports and weren't reimbursed this cost. Would stay again.

Stayed April 2012

Been to Da Maria? Share your experiences!