“Underwhelming and didn't deliver.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Attractions in Minori
Type: Boat Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Amalfi Sails offers luxury crewed yacht charters through the Mediterranean Sea- Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, the Island of Capri & the entire Amalfi Coast and Sorrento area. We offer exclusive yacht charters, sailing or motor charters, and motor boat rentals. We also have small group tours (12 people per boat max) and Private sunset cruises. Amalfi Sails is happy to customize special itineraries for our clients as well as provide a private English speaking guide upon request. The boats are fully equipped with sundecks, shade, kitchen and bathroom, lounge areas, and of course, speed. Boating on the Mediterranean is a very popular past time on the coast because the sea and the landscape are arguably some of the most breathtaking in the world. Amalfi Sails is proud to be a part of Italy’s pride- The Amalfi Coast.
Scarborough, Australia
“Underwhelming and didn't deliver.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Would loved to have given feedback directly but as there is no follow-up on my experience (even after the €830 charge), I feel it only fair to review on TA. Had a day trip on the Fiart from Positano with no guide, just an Italian captain who could barely speak English but granted, did his best even though I didn't really understand what he said/pointed out. I will take some responsibility for this as even though I said I'd like the 'commentary' after a choice of an English speaking guide or not, I did not explicably say book me in for one. First lesson learnt. I had however been given what seemed an itinerary including the grottos which was basically THE reason for booking a private boat - the grottos! Otherwise I could have paid for a ferry like everyone else but I did not want to be treated like one of many. That's also why I accepted the charge, it reflected a personal tour, unlike the hoards that flood the ferries. Took a long time to get to Capri and the coastline was stunning but nothing that I wasn't seeing swimming out from Positano. In this time, there was no offer of water/snacks or really any info regarding the boat. The two of us had a big boat and no idea about it, eg were we able to sit out on the front? Was there anything downstairs we should know about? Whether it was the Cpt's lack of English or not I'm not sure but for this service, I'd say a bare minimum would be to give the passengers some basic orienteering or the boat, ie help yourselves to water, make yourself at home, there's a WC downstairs for your convenience etc, its not difficult but for someone like me who's never been on a small boat, it would have been great. Was there water included or snacks, we will never know as none was offered although I did ask for a water and was given one. Kind of thought that that would lead to other offerings...but no. I 'm not sure why other reviewers mentioned the inclusions and on the Amalfi Sails website it also indicates such inclusions.
Re: the grottos. I wouldn't know. After backing into a few cliff faces and seeing other groups swimming and having fun, we'd leave and I'd ask, 'was that a grotto?'. The answer was yes but didn't get much further than that. One other group swimming through a cave (I can only assume the green grotto) were having heaps of fun and we were told we couldn't do the same as we'd get fined. That was basically it for the grottos apart from being steered from even going near what I know now as the blue grotto as it was super busy. We were dropped off at Capri's marina which I thought was horrendous. Total tourist trash but I'm sure out of this area things were possibly better. Didn't have anyone to ask but googled on my return to see what the hype was about.
The lunch was at a nice seaside village, quaint and small and seemingly not there to grab the poor tourist and wring them dry. Restaurant clearly has an arrangement with either the Cpt or Amalfi Sails. The restaurant collected us via one of their shuttles (we hadn't even said where we wanted to eat) and was given a table on arrival. Felt obligated to stay. No menu - be warned. Food was fine although difficult when you can't choose what you want. I don't eat seafood so was given the ravioli option, whatever, bill was €105. Knew there was a catch and they got us hook line and sinker. Lesson for us again and by now I'm feeling kind of screwed. After this experience (don't get me wrong, food wasn't bad) I suggested we go back to Positano as the coast was already where we had been and by now I knew we were not going to get the grottos or the swimming spots like I'd imagined. Cpt offered for us to swim a few times but where? Im imagining protected little coves, grottos, areas where only he could tell us. But no.
To top all of, on arrival into Positano, was asked if we were paying by cash. I had clearly indicated in email correspondence I'd be using a credit card to which he handed me the phone to Natalie where the ONLY option was to cruise to Amalfi (20mins each way) to have my card swiped. By this point I was pretty over the whole non-experience. To spend another hour on the boat which by now had me choking on the exhaust seemed like I was being punished for spending my money on this boat ride.
Would I go again, definitely not. Would I recommend to others? No. I'd get my own boat (easy to rent) or if its a trip to Capri you want, get the ferry. Save your money on getting a personal trip around Capri and/or the grottos when you get there.
If you do go, stay clear away from the back seats unless you want to swallow diesel fumes your entire trip!

Visited September 2013
Amalfi S, Direttore generale at Amalfi Sails, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Kat. We definitely appreciate every kind of criticism and suggestions about our services. In fact, it’s one of the only ways we can improve. I have to say that the captain, Antonello, told me all the places he took you to visit: White Grotto, Grotta Meravigliosa, Natural Arch, Coral Grotto, Lovers Arch, Villa Malaparte, The Faraglioni rock formations, Marina Piccola, Green Grotto and Blu Grotto. Regarding swimming in the Green Grotto, it is against the law for EVERYONE to swim from chartered boats in the Grotto as there have been many accidents this year. Antonello said this for your own safety. The Blue Grotto was very crowded as it is all summer, and after waiting 10 minutes he pointed out that the wait would have been at least an hour, you decided to leave.
Regarding the Capri Marina, that is the main port and the reason why it is crowded with tourists. Even in the Main square at the top of the Island, it is always very caotic.
Regarding lunch, Antonello suggested Nerano, a small village away from the crowds of Capri. He suggested Il Cantuccio, as it is a very nice restaurant and our clients are always happy with the delicious food and private beach (also pointed out to you by Antonello) . Infact, they catch their own fish everyday! We ABSOLUTLEY have no arrangement with any restaurant, they are good friends of ours as we have been working with them for years and they offer our captains lunch.
Regarding payment, unfortunatley our credit card machine that day had a technical problem that we tried to resolve but were not able to in time. We honestly thought that it would not have been a disappointment for you to see the pearl of the Amalfi Coast, Amalfi.
As mentioned in my e-mail, we hope that next time you will be visiting the Amalfi Coast you will join us on a day tour for a true experience of what our services offer. No client has ever been this disappointed in our services, and the staff of Amalfi Sails send their true apologies.

Reading, United Kingdom
“Above & beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Thank you to the Amalfi sails team especially Natalie who was fundamental in helping my now fiance with a surprise proposal on our recent holiday to the Amalfi Coast. We had a really special time and the team really helped facilitate that.

We hired a car and a boat through them also and they were very professional and flexible.

Huge thanks!

Visited August 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Amalfi Sails”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I am the owner of a multi-branch Travel Agency with offices in Louisiana and Texas. Our agency has been chartering our clients’ Amalfi Coast boat trips through Amalfi Sails for several years, so while I was visiting the Amalfi Coast last month I booked some charters with them for my group of ten. I wanted to experience for myself what my clients have been raving about and they exceeded my high expectations! The charters we took with Amalfi Sails were the highlights of our trip. We had confirmed a Positano to Capri transfer our first day and were enjoying ourselves so much with Captain Antonio on the Pershing that we extended to a full day around the island of Capri. We saw the Blue and Green Grottos and stopped for lunch in Nerano at La Conca del Sogno. It was one of the most memorable days of our 17 day multi-country European vacation. Our captain was extremely accommodating. He took us to places where the kids could dive off the rocks and spend time in the water, and took time explaining all of the different areas of the islands. We loved this introduction so much that we booked two additional days. We saw everything on the islands and all agreed that chartering a boat was a “must” while visiting the Amalfi Coast. Amalfi Sails handled our transfer from Capri to Naples as we decided that they were a much better option than taking the hydrofoil. I highly recommend anyone going to the Amalfi Coast use Amalfi Sails as their boats and crew are fantastic. Natalie Santelia is extremely helpful and will make sure you have a memorable trip. Their website is www.amalfisails.com.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Fantastic day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We hired 2 boats at the end of July for hen and stag day out.
What a fabulous day out .
We saw all the sights up the coast line as we went . The boats stopped out at sea for us to swim and dive . Had so much fun.
All the beer wine and soft drinks were included.
Capri was pretty but packed with tourists . We only stayed an hour then the captain took us to a delightful little restaurant for lunch.
The trip was wonderful value for the 8 hours we had and would recommend it to anyone.

Visited July 2013
“Incredible from booking to docking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I organised a trip for 14 friends in July from Australia. Natalie was incredibly helpful and guided me to the right boat, changed the times when I wanted and made the entire process incredibly easy.

The boat (the ercole) was far better than any of the photos that were provided, it was perfect. We were picked up in positano and then taken to the islands. The crew asked us all the way when we wanted to stop for a swim and then waited for us with no sense of urgency to get us back. We were a totally happy group.

I'd have no hesitation in 100% booking again.