“Great sushi and atmosphere!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Now with three locations In Newport News,Hampton, and our newest Richmond! We are proud of our staff and chefs for all they work towards requires extensive experience, extraordinary skill, and respect for the spirit of traditional Japanese cuisine. Encounters with seasonal ingredients stimulate our senses and inspire us to craft exquisite works of art for your plate. It is our daily delight to serve you, your family, and friends simple, elegant, beautiful Japanese works. When we opened our Newport News restaurant in City Center it was to continue in the tradition Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar with a nod to the updated look you might find in an upscale metropolitan restaurant. We also opened our doors in the Hampton area, located in Peninsula town center and offer a more eclectic contemporary non hibachi dine in grill and sushi bar experience. I hope we can continue to grow and share our wonderful experiences and passion with you.
Sanford
“Great sushi and atmosphere!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My cousin and I ate at Hayashi while visiting in Newport News. This was a very upscale restaurant, and the ambiance was really nice. There was not a long wait as we went earlier in the evening, and the server came right over to take our drink orders. He was very helpful with questions about the menu. Our appetizers and sushi were awesome! Great service and great food. They are a little pricey, but it was worth it.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Norfolk, Virginia
“YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH HAYASHI'S”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Best Sushi, Best Hibachi, Best Sake, Best Japanese food!!!!
I am a huge Japanese fanatic and I'm telling you, no one does it better than Hayashi's!!
It's a great place to take a date or just hang out with friends. The restaurant itself is beautiful, very fancy. Nice location, downtown Newport News, its sooo romantic.
So eat at Hayashi Sushi & Grill, and enjoy the best Japanese food ever!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fargo, North Dakota
“Poor service, cold soup, cold food, warm salad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We went here for dinner. The waiter did not know the menu and was totally unsure of anything he said. He mumbled and our party of four could not understand him. He was unable to provide any information about our selections.

We were put in a corner in almost dark and asked for light and the waiter said he didn't know if there was any there so we squinted. It nearly 30 minutes to get four plates of food.

The servings are EXTREMELY small and not worth the money charged for them. I could have eaten two of the servings.

The salad and soup came late and were about the same temperature. My food was cold and might have been tasty if it were hot. We had waited so long it was not worth the hassle.

We were not offered any dessert menu but by that time were ready to go. The waiter brought us the bills and left and we never saw him again. Someone else finished the bills.

The food could be good but management is poor and there is no followup with customers. We walked out without a soul saying a word.

If you go and get poor service at the outset, best leave and go somewhere else.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hayashi1, Public Relations Manager at Hayashi Sushi & Grill, responded to this review, October 24, 2014
Hello Miss,

My name is Paula, one of the social media directors and head server here at the Hampton Location, I am very sorry to hear about your unsatisfied experience and poor service in dinning with us. We would love to have you and your company come back and dine with us once more in either of our two locations for a better and more appropriate experience. I'd like to ask you few questions to investigate this incident to prevent this from happening again. Would you be able to let me know which restaurant, server, and day this event happened on?
This information will enable us to take action and better all future customers experiences. We don't regularly have these kinds of problems on basis and we always like to do our best in correcting any unsatisfactory behavior or scenario to make your experience and others better for the future. Any insight would help us immensely.

Many thanks,
Paula
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“Good sushi-- a little overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I'm a fan of sushi restaurants and I'd put this one into the "yuppie sushi" category. You know the type: big open windows and modern decor. The kind where you sit at the sushi bar, chopsticks in hand, hoping that some acquaintance or business colleague walks by and sees you expertly dining on a shrimp tempura roll. That being said, I found to be very good, but on the overpriced side. Hayashi's specialty rolls all have a $13 price tag. I've had better sushi at a much more reasonable price at a much less trendy kind of place. So, it really depends on what atmosphere you're going for. If I were looking for a nice trendy place to take a date, Hayashi would be a good choice.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newport News, Virginia
“You gotta know where to sit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I had dinner with another couple at Hayashi and were not disappointed -- because we sat in the bar area. The bar area is much less crowded than the actual restaurant and provides a warm and not-too-noisy environment as well as slightly more upscale than the dining room.

This is a good choice for me and my husband, because I am a sushi fiend, while the stuff will never pass his lips. But the menu has lots of great options including his favorite, prepared in an Asian sauce and cooked to order. I had 3 of their special rolls, along with their seaweed salad. The seaweed salad, in particular, was out of this world. The rolls were good, but perhaps a bit less rice would have been nice.

Perhaps what really made the dining experience so pleasurable, however, was our fantastic waiter who also served as the bartender. He was accommodating, knowledgeable about the menu, personable and quite handsome!

All around a great evening.

• Visited October 2013