“Quirky little place with good service and food - very original!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 401 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Sandwiches, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Rocky Mount BBQ has been serving delicious meals since we opened our doors in 1953! We are known for our family friendly service and for our traditional N.C. style BBQ and our incredible variety of 30 sides that are available daily; Monday thru Saturday that is because we are closed on Sunday. Other favorite dishes include Fried or BBQ Chicken, Ribs, Hamburger Steaks, Hand Breaded Chicken Tenders or Chicken Sandwich, Fried Chicken Livers, Chicken and Dumplings, Crab Cakes, Hand breaded Flounder, home made soups including Brunswick Stew, Vegetable Beef, Chili, Chicken Noodle and homemade Desserts specifically our Banana Pudding! We offer Dine in, Take out, Delivery and Catering Services. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Yorktown, Virginia
“Quirky little place with good service and food - very original!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This is kind of a tough review for me since I really like Rocky Mount Bar-B-Q which has been around for sixty plus years, but truthfully, the food and service and sort of what you would expect - nothing exceptional. Don't get me wrong, I like the place and will stop there again, but it is simply not that amazing.

First the service - we walked in and stood there for five or so minutes before anyone even greeted us. Kinda strange but then again they seemed maybe short handed - it was a Saturday evening though. We were seated right away, and we waited, and waited, and waited. After nearly ten minutes a basket of hushpuppies were served without any butter along with drinks. One nice fact was that while we were looking over the menu we were asked if we would like to sample the different BBQ meats. Of course we did and small samples were provided. Both tasted very good.

I don't know, maybe I am being a little harsh but in my opinion everything was simply average. A good average though and one I am ok with. Still a little quirky though with odd parking, a strange interior layout, and a restaurant that does everything their way. The strongest points are that this restaurant is one of a kind, very personal, and a fun place to stop by for a nice BBQ meal.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Newport News, Virginia
“Great Comfort Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Ate here with the Hubby and a friend. The waitress was very nice and funny, had all of us laughing a few times. Service was quick and the food came out steaming. I had a few side dishes, all of which were delicious and tasted homemade. Hubby and our friend had BBQ, both said it was very good.

Will be going back again and recommend it to others looking for good BBQ at great prices.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
rockymount1, Owner at Rocky Mount BBQ, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for the great review. The staff works really hard to remain consistent with the traditions of great food and friendly service since we began in 1953. Thank you for acknowledging your experience with us! I really appreciate your time and thanks again for choosing and enjoying Rocky Mount BBQ!
“Good food that fills.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

This place has something for everyone . I eat here often I Love the fact that you have many side
dishes to choose from . I often eat light but , it never fails that I end up getting a dessert. The
sweet tea is very good. Overall is a great place to eat . That's why I keep coming back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Allegany, New York
“Flavorful Bar-B-Que”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Pleasant staff, good food, great prices. What more could you ask for?

Visited May 2012