“great lunch place” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
New York, NY
“great lunch place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed at the Marriott and walked over here for lunch. What a great little find...the place is filled with locals...wait staff know many customers by name...always a sign of a good restaurant. I had a delicious crab cake lunch special. We will definately come back.

Visited October 2011

Williamsburg, VA
“Good Spot for Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

This is a local lunch spot that Bill and Betty Swain have owned and operated for nearly 30 years. Over the years their restaurant has moved around in Newport News, and now is located in the recently-opened Oyster Point Town Center in Newport News. What strikes you immediately upon entering is the smell of food cooking --- different from many restaurants these days that simply heat pre-cooked food in microwaves. This place features only homemade food. The Reuben sandwich was quite good; however,the chicken salad wasn’t all that good. Service was pleasant but very slow (maybe because the kitchen was actually cooking the food). Ambiance was lunch diner style and fine albeit somewhat noisy. Value was better than average.

• Visited March 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
rhode island
“Better than Mom's!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

The Lunch Bell, run by Betty and Bill Swain, offers a traditional menu of home-cooked meals. Everything is fresh and made with great products. The cream of asparagus soup is velvety smooth. I had an egg white omelette that was the best I've had. Soft and light as air. Prices are fair for the quality of food that you get. The desserts are fantastic and they make the best corn bread with corn kernels in it.

The Thanksgiving Buffet is out of this world!

Staff are friendly and when you see how they interact with the customers, you know this is a place for family and friends.

Hampton, Virginia
“Only my first time at this famous local spot, I will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

The staff could not be friendlier, more accommodating and quick! I rushed in right before the lunch hour looking for something to go. I selected two or three things, changed my mind, and finally settled on the vegetable quiche which I hadn't noticed until I walked past the white board with the daily specials. The white board had about eight types of quiche, it varies from day to day I am told. I chose vegetable quiche and asked for them to package it up cold. They tried to talk me out of cold, they wanted it to be the best, but I really was in a rush. It was GREAT, even ice cold. It was served with fresh fruit and a muffin of your choice (I chose orange cranberry -- it was small, the perfect size actually, moist and subtle). I can't wait to go back, I do want to try some other items such as the lobster salad, chili and their many other quiches. The atmosphere is almost exactly like a lunch room or cafe in an office building, seemingly without any accoutrements or style. However, it works. The personalities of the lovely staff make it bright. As you pay at the cashier when you leave, you see there is a bakery display with a small variety of pastry and cake. They also make custom cakes. I haven't tried any of that except my little orange muffin, but I am intrigued.

virginia
“great food, popular amongst the older patrons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is a favorite amongst the older patrons, some have been going here for many years. You will find homestyle comfort food cooking and great desserts. My wife and I love to eat here and the service is very friendly. I love their sandwiches and enjoy their chicken salad. My wife loves their pies! If you are looking for a nice lunch or somewhere to take your grandmother then check this place out.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere