“Excellent Indian Cuisine” 4 of 5 stars

757-591-9200
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Nawab Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 366 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pilot House Drive
Newport News/Yorktown, VA
“Excellent Indian Cuisine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have been eating here for several years now. I have reviewed Nawab before, but recently have noticed a much better quality of food and service. I am extremely impressed with the quality of food, the excellent staff and management, and the general ambiance. Previously I had mentioned the Tandoori Chicken wasn't cooked as well as it should be, but in the last few months I have seen this change. The tandoori chicken is excellent, and I can once again recommend this restaurant 100%.

If you haven't been here yet, I highly recommend it!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Always a treat.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Nawab is a very good restaurant with a great staff and tasty good! I visit here every 2 weeks! Always a treat!

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Loved the lunch buffet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Had the $10 lunch buffet on a Saturday. Loved it! Everything quite tasty. Nothing terribly spicy, so all in our family could enjoy it. Tamarind mint chutney especially tasty.

Visited September 2012
Yorktown, Virginia
“Great Cuisine -- Slow Service for Large Groups”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We've eaten a Nawab several times over the past months and years, typically with 6 or 7 other couples. We always make reservations prior to our visit, to ensure our table is setup ahead when we arrive, and they are aware a large group is coming.
The menu at Nawav has a nice variety of Indian cuisine, at reasonable prices, and the dishes are always consistent, tasty, and well prepared. The also have a good selection of wine, beer and cocktails.
Our only challenge is the service. On our latest visit it took 1.5 hours before the initial dishes were delivered to our table, and we ended up spending 3+ hours for dinner. In observing the staff, the hostess is the primary server, and they have a very limited wait staff, even on weekends...which translates to a slow pace of service.

• Visited August 2012
Benalmádena, Andalucia, Spain
“Authentic, Delicious, friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Four of us went to Nawab for an early supper last night. We were immediately greeted and shown to our table. No less than three servers attended us and answered our many questions with a smile. We didn't feel bothered by the wait staff just very well attended. Atmosphere was nice with the music low enough to make conversing easy. I love Indian food but am no expert so I always have lots of questions for the waiters. Within seconds we were brought large glasses of iced water and and a large dish of crispy bread and a savory sauce. They were celebrating their anniversary as a restaurant and brought out the regular menus plus their original menu with the original prices as a bonus.

I wanted classic curry with a coconut flavor. Our waitress suggested the Noab curry (probably spelled wrong). It was on the new menu on a vegetarian dish, she said they would do that with chicks for me no problem. They have four levels of spicyness; mild, medium, hot, and Indian hot. I chose hot. My wife chose the same thing only medium, one of our friends ordered the lamb and the other the mixed grill. We also ordered two naan breads, one plain and one with garlic. Basmati rice was brought out without my being aware of it being ordered. We also ordered an appetizer sampler dish. Drinks were not ordered and a pitcher of iced water was brought to us without us asking for it.

The appetizer came out quickly. While intended for two it served nicely for four. The food was hot and the sauce was delicious. Soon after we finished that the main dishes were brought. Portions were larger than most indian restaurants I have been to. My curry was among the best I have ever enjoyed. it was very spicy but just right. There is a good chance we will return to this restaurant but I am unsure if I will ever try the "Indian Spicy." I suspect it might be too much for me. My wife was tempted to order the mild but our waitress said that with this dish the medium would be just right for her and she was right! Everyone's food was delicious and we were all very pleased. Our friend said she had come for lunch at other times and that they had a nice buffet. After we were all quite satisfied, our waitress brought out a complementary dessert for us to share with a beaming smile. She said it was to reward my wife for her courage in ordering the medium spicyness as per her suggestion. It was homemade mango ice cream, enough for each of us to have two or three refreshing bites.

My generous friend insisted on paying the tab, but I got a peek, the total came to 74$.

Superb service, nice atmosphere, clean bathrooms, amazing food... I give Nawab a five and will be back at least once during all my future visits to this area.

• Visited July 2012