“Great upscale menu” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Hampton, VA
“Great upscale menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

We have eaten here with my in-laws several times. They don't eat out, they "dine", so we are always hesitant to try a new place with them. The fact that we have eaten @ 99 Main more than once says a lot. The menu changes seasonally. The salads are varied and the entrees are delicious. We usually don't get dessert, but the selection was too tempting to pass up. Also had a superb ice wine with dessert.

Newport News
“Elegant atmosphere, local produce--Great Addition to NN Dining Scene!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

This restaurant is sophisticated yet family-friendly, with creative use of local produce. It should rapidly move its way up the "favorites" lists of many Newport News households. The chef has put together some creative flavor combinations, and knows how to craft excellent seafood dishes using local catch. It can stand up to many of the well-known spots in Williamsburg, but is more convenient for folks living in Hampton, Norfolk, and Newport News.

I especially liked the escargot in mushroom caps; the beef specials artfully employ cattle raised organically at Griffon Farms. There is a good selection of moderately-bodied reds, including some nice Pinot Noir options.

The only downside is that it is a rather small establishment, so if you are looking for a large facility, this isn't your best bet.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent, delicious food. Service was a little on the slow side. The restaurant has two rooms with two different...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2007

Excellent, delicious food. Service was a little on the slow side. The restaurant has two rooms with two different styles. The first one has the open kitchen and patrons can sit at booths. The second one has an elegant and romantic decor. This is a beautiful restaurant to go for any special occasion. My friend and I both enjoyed the food, atmosphere and the desserts. There's a good wine selection as well.

virginia
“Decent Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

99 Main Restaurant is really trying. The atmposphere is attempting to be upscale on one side and "pub" on the other. The night we were there, there was a large party. We enjoyed the attention of our waiter until the large group left the bar area and were sat in the main dining room. The restaurant would benefit from some serious sound absorbtion. Absolutely NOTHING ticks me off more than "locals" getting catered to more than "guests". I really felt this once the large party began in the main dining room. Shame on 99 Main!

The wine list was decent. Our fish was fresh. Still, I was DEEPLY disappointed when the waiter hinted that my husband's dessert wasn't the best choice. (Some slabs of Vanilla "mousse/cake"). It was so horrible, it should not have been served ~ EVER. The chocolate version was good, but once I tasted my husband's I was no longer intersted in eating MY dessert!

If you find yourself having to have dinner in Newport News, you could do worse. Not a bad experience. But, I think I'll try and find a place that caters to all guests equally and stick to other parts of Hampton Roads. Still, congrats to 99 Main for trying to bring decent dining to Newport News!