“EXCELLENT SERVICE GREAT FOOD” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #200 of 398 Restaurants in Newport News
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Omaha, Nebraska
“EXCELLENT SERVICE GREAT FOOD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I am visiting Newport News on business for the first time. Restaurants have been hard to find as I do not venture far off my known path. After an incredibly bad day at work, my coworker and I went to Longhorn Steakhouse to grab dinner.

The atmosphere at Longhorn is always pleasant but what turned my day around was the service. The server was extremely friendly, cordial and attentive without being intrusive. She was comfortable to joke with us and turned our day around.

Many times I have inquired of servers which entrée would they choose if I give them a choice of two. She was knowledgeable about the menu and helped me choose an extremely enjoyable meal. My coworker wanted extra ranch and she made sure to bring us plenty without any attitude.

The entire experience turned my day around. It was refreshing to meet someone so polite and pleasant who seemed to enjoy serving her customers.

Great experience!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Howden, United Kingdom
“Good steak!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

After a tiring day touring the locality we ate at the Longhorn, and we were not disappointed. The staff were friendly and helpful, the drinks excellent, and the steak was really very good....I had a well done New York Strip steak. My wife and i both enjoyed the meal, and we are likely to return before we leave the area for the next part of our holiday.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Warren County
“Good Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I don't normally dine at Longhorn since they started putting that horrible rub on their steaks a few years ago. But this night I was new in town, tired from traveling and decided to take a chance. What a pleasant surprise! I requested only salt and pepper on my medium cooked New York strip and it was perfect. The salad was fresh and the loaded baked potato was what I expected. My server was Alex and he went out of his way to make my Arnold Palmer just right when the lemonade machine started acting up. I am a very picky diner and some friends would say worse than picky sometimes, but I want my food cooked and served properly. No exceptions! So, after years of avoiding Longhorn I will start eating there again.

Visited July 2014
Virginia
“Someone needs to pay attention to food quality and cleanliness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

With so many other nice places to eat, not sure I would eat here again. We had the Porterhouse for 2, which was nothing special at all. We ordered it medium rare and it arrived well done. We would have told our server that it was overcooked if she had ever come back to our table to see how our meal was. For $40 bucks for a steak for two, we expected more. The broccoli and sweet potato were nothing special. The corn on the cob was tough. The salad was okay...guess it hard to mess up a salad.

The place also looked like it need a good cleaning. We sat at the booth that had a small light/lamp on the wall that was covered in food matter, grease, etc. Since it was at eye level, we had to place a dessert/drink menu card over it so we didn't have to look at it while we ate.

This was our first visit and mostly likely our last.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Newport News, Virginia
“Diner Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

With the kids out of town, my wife and I went there for Father's Day - her first visit to Longhorn. Arriving shortly after 1PM, we were promptly seated. Once seated, we noticed the side plates were dirty, with a brown sauce or something on them - hard to miss. That being the case, we checked the silverware. Lo and behold, the silverware was not only greasy, but mine had dried cheese caked on it - not exactly a good 1st impression. After we made the waiter aware of it, he kindly offered us a complementary appetizer. We made quick work of the appetizer, and awaited our Strawberry-pecan salad, which arrived shortly thereafter; well, most of it did. It seems that the kitchen seemed to forget that a Strawberry-Pecan salad should actually contain strawberries. Our frustrated waiter went back to get us strawberries... That was strike 3... We joked with him that the kitchen couldn't mess up the mac and cheese and the steaks, could they? We spoke too soon... The mac and cheese was fine, but my "well-done" steak was medium-well, and my wife's "medium-well" steak was well done.

Our poor waiter did the best he could to take care of us, and took $5 off the bill and gave us a free appetizer coupon. He also had informed the Manager, who came back and apologized profusely and gave us $10 more off and a gift card. They made the best of a bad situation, but I have a hard time believing that we're the "once a year" situation - I think it happens more than they think and people don't speak up but just don't go back.

In an ironic twist , there was 1 other restaurant that we had issues with (bad meal, coupon for free meal, and that one was terrible as well and we never went back), Silver Diner, which is the restaurant that moved out of the space that Longhorn now occupies. Strange.

• Visited June 2014