“Bedbugs and pancakes” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Newport News
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Bedbugs and pancakes”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

While rehabbing a home in Newport News my wife and I needed a temporary place to stay until our home was habitable so we looked into extended stay hotels in the area and found the best price for a month-long stay at the Savannah Suites Newport News on Jefferson Ave.

We paid, in cash, for a month's stay up front an amount nearing $900 after previewing the 'model' room around the corner from the front desk which seemed sufficient in amenities and cleanliness at the time.

Upon arriving in our own room things went steadily downhill, but first a description of what we had paid for. These are extended stay suites with a queen bed, a kitchenette with two burner range, a microwave, single-bowl stainless sink and a not-quite-full-size refrigerator as well as several cabinets above and below the appliances. The bathroom of course had a sink, toilet and shower/tub with a cabinet under the sink. Other amenities/furniture included a TV, wired internet connection, two chairs and a table, a dresser and a small closet.

When we arrived in our room we immediately noticed a dark line on the side of the refrigerator at counter level. When we pulled the refrigerator out it became disgustingly obvious that cleanliness was not part of the hotel's protocol as the entire bottom half of that side of the refrigerator was absolutely coated with a thick, sticky , brown film that terminated in a dried puddle on the floor underneath. We assumed it to be a spilled beverage or food item that was never cleaned where it was not immediately visible. The other side of the refrigerator was also filthy, though it was against the wall in an alcove so it's difficult to imagine how it could have become nearly as filthy given its distance from the countertop.

My wife, not quite obsessive, but certainly concerned with the cleanliness of public accommodations decided to do a little deep cleaning of her own and proceeded to mix a bucket of hot water, detergent and bleach to clean the kitchen and bath areas to her satisfaction.

In order to not cause a confrontation with those whom we had just handed nearly $900, and whom in whose hands our next month of living was now placed, I decided to write an email to the corporate website's customer service address. I attached pictures and gave a brief description and added the caveat above that we desired not any interaction related to the issues with anyone on staff as we were capable of addressing the issues ourselves while still expressing our disappointment.

We received an email from Val Rubio, Vice President of Operations, apologizing for the conditions and assuring us that the appropriate people would be made aware and thanking us for bringing it to her attention in order that she would help her understaff to live up to their obligations.

One week later we found a bed bug crawling on our wall first thing in the morning and immediately called the Newport News Health Department to make a report. Within three hours an inspector arrived and found evidence of a previous infestation, including bed bug fecal matter along our headboard, but no evidence of a current infestation. A claim belied by our killing and saving a bed bug.

Linda Fisher, General Manager, made no contact with us at all that day to help to resolve the situation.

The next night we found yet another bed bug crawling on our wall which we also killed and saved. We decided to pay a visit to the front desk the next morning.

Sunday morning, immediately upon awakening, a third bed bug was found crawling along the ceiling which we killed and saved.

We took the dead bugs to the front desk where we spoke with the Assistant General Manager, Mr. Callahan, who made a vague offer of switching rooms but stated that if we were interested in any sort of refund we would need to speak to Mrs. Fisher who would be in Monday morning.

We told him that we felt unsure that the conditions in any other room would be any better than what we were already experiencing and declined his offer to switch rooms until we spoke with Mrs. Fisher.

Immediately upon returning to our room we found the fourth bedbug, IN the bed, documented below.

Monday morning came and we expected to be paid a visit by Mrs. Fisher as part of her Monday morning agenda. She never contacted us.

Finally at noon we went downstairs and obviously interrupted her lunch as she finished chewing her food when she appeared from around the corner to greet us at the front desk.

We explained that we were the people with the bed bug issue and that we would like to resolve it. She launched into a tirade about how we went over her head in two instances; one by sending an anonymous email about the condition of our room at check in and two by calling the health department about the bed bug we found initially.

She then asked us what we felt would be an appropriate resolution to the problem and we told her we had no idea what to expect as it was not a situation we had experience in from which to draw on in the past.

She offered us another room, which we accepted but with the caveat that it not have been ridden with bed bugs at any point prior. We accepted the offer and she told us to go back upstairs and pack up our things and that she would send maintenance up to bag up the bedding.

She then stated that Val Rubio, Vice President of Operations, would be in that day for a marketing meeting and that they would be discussing the issue and be in touch. We told her we would be in our room all day and we looked forward to hearing from either or both of them with a resolution.

About 30 minutes later Mrs. Fisher appeared at our room and said that she had another room ready and asked if we would like to take a walkthrough of it with her to make sure it was satisfactory. I finished packing our belongings and Susan went with her to see the room.

Susan came back to our old room and informed me that Mrs. Fisher pulled the refrigerator out to show that it was clean, but when Susan and Mrs. Fisher's eyes both saw the nicotine scum on the top edge of the cabinet doors Susan says Mrs. Fisher stated that she should have Housekeeping stand on a chair to get that clean.

It still has not been cleaned.

About an hour into moving into our new room Mrs. Fisher called to check on our progress and we informed her that we had moved everything and that once again we would be in our room the rest of the day in anticipation of contact from her or Ms. Rubio concerning the issues we'd encountered.

Several hours later, and with no further contact from either Mrs. Fisher or Ms. Rubio, Susan called the front desk to inquire and was told that Ms. Rubio would be in touch via email with an appropriate solution to the problems.

The next day we received an email from Ms. Rubio assuring us that she and Mrs. Fisher had come to an agreement as to what was appropriate compensation for our inconvenience and that she would make sure it was there by Friday.

Friday came and went, and so did Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday with no further email nor personal contact from staff or corporate. Wednesday morning we went to the front desk and were informed by another manager that though he had no information or knowledge of our situation he would leave a note for Mrs. Fisher who would be in Thursday morning.

Today we went to the front desk and Mrs. Fisher was there. When we asked if our 'compensation' was there she said it was. When we asked when it arrived, she told us it had been there since Monday. Yet another failure on the part of management and corporate in setting a deadline and missing it as well as not being proactive in contacting us to make the situation right.

Our 'compensation' consisted of a $30 gift card to IHOP and the offer of two free nights should we wish to extend our stay.

That's right, a system is broken and people are getting paid out of MY pocket for a job they're not doing and the obvious answer is....pancakes.

I shoved the card back across the desk and said that it was unacceptable and returned to my room to try to move further up the chain of command.

Eventually I received a phone call, after sending an email to Brian McCarthy, Owner/Corporate Officer, from Thelma Wilke, Owner/Corporate Officer.

While Mrs. Wilke seemed to understand my frustration with the preceding events she eventually devolved into telling me yet again that somehow this was our fault for not following the appropriate procedures ie contacting the front desk about the filth and bugs and offered me a two week refund and would so graciously allow us to stay through tonight as it was late in the day.

I have also contacted all three local news stations with my story and a reputable pest control company who informed me that the methods undertaken by whomever 'treated' our room were likely completely ineffective as bed bugs are quickly developing resistance to pesticides and that a simple plastic cover over the mattress was insufficient and his company instead uses a steam-sanitization method as well as complete plastic-encasement of mattresses/box springs.

Needless to say I still feel as though the entire Savannah Suites corporation has failed in its obligation not only to myself as a cash paying customer but to itself and its posted mission statement.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Dade City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My husband works out of town alot actually out of state. After staying at numerous studio type extended hotels,I have to say this is one of the cleanest. The housekeepers really know their jobs, and seem to take pride in it. The counter staff is extremely friendly and eager to help. The laundry facilities were very clean and updated.Savannah suites was the cheapest around. A good bargin for your money. I would definely recommend this place to anyone visiting Newport New or anywhere from Virginia beach to WIlliamsburg. It is centrally located and is closed to alot shopping, entertainment , beaches and theme parks. Two thumbs UP!

Room Tip: There is not alot of road noise in the front but there is less in the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I had reservations at this so called hotel but the front desk clerk name johnathan gave our room to someone on the internet and then turned around and lied to my wife on the phone about getting a room across the street at another hotel which turned out not to be true so we we're outside with nowhere to go and tired so we stay at the Hampton transit center until 2:00am when our bus to Richmond came. We will never stay at another savannah suites as long as I live on this earth also my wife talked to the general manager when got back and she did nothing about our situation but say i'm sorry so unprofessional people.

• Stayed July 2013
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

staff was friendly, rooms were clean, fine for price. boasted kitchenette but no cooking pots or pans...get the impression stuff gets stolen. No coffee provided in room or hotel! No hangers in closet. No frills but clean and cheap. Probably won't stay there again but can't complain too much vetting what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2013
Dover, Delaware, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Woman at the front desk obviously hated her job and decided she was done workin ten minutes before they stopped taking customers even though I already had a reservation...The most frustrating moment is her telling me they stop taking people at 11 and its 1050 now and i already closed my drawer...I hope NO ONE ever stays here.

Room Tip: Dont go here..jus as good spending your money on the days inn around the corner
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Princeton, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Why can't I give a negative colored green circle. This place is worse than terrible. This is a Welfare Hotel - pure and simple. I'm sure welfare hotels are needed, but I don't want to go to one. Drove 8 hours with my 17 year old daughter to visit CNUniversity. It was late, we were tired and reviews did not seem too bad. There were people in robes outside the front door and in the tiny "loby". Woman behind the desk was very pleasant. They only had one non smoking room. Daughter voluteered. There were people in robes in the halls outside the rooms. Daughter spent 5 min in her room. She stunk of smoke. We went out to restaurant. She was crying and neither of us felt safe there. We went back and got our bags and checked into a very nice Hampton Inn just up the road. I cannot express how awful the experience was.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Deltaville, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

There is a distinct funky smell to the room I stayed in, and the hotel in general. Room lighting is awful. The room itself was clean, but had a lot of wear and tear. Felt more like a dormitory than a hotel, with many longer term residents there, as it is an extended stay hotel. Taneesha at the front desk from helpful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Savannah Suites Newport News? Share your experiences!