“Comfort Suites Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 37 hotels in Newport News
Kilmarnock, Virginia
“Comfort Suites Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Three things of note: the sink was cracked ... and had been for a while ... and the upper one inch of it had soap scum on it. There were spots of blood on the underside of comforter. All other aspects seemed to be satisfactory.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
lleib, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
We appreciate that you took the time to write a review but extremely sorry that you had issues with your room. You can be sure that the concerns that you had will be addressed for future guests. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. You may contact me personally if your travels bring you back to Newport News. Lori Leib - Director of Sales

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Outstanding service upon check in with Front Desk Employee. However, the next morning at about 8:30am, no where near checkout, there was a loud knock on the door which interrupted our sleep. The do not disturb sign was on the door and clearly visible. It was housekeeping, asking if I would be checking out. Keep in mind, check out is not until 11am. I had requested a late checkout upon check in. Once stated to the housekeeper that we were a late checkout, she actually looked me up and down as if I were wrong for checking out late. Immediately, I got on the telephone and called the front desk to resolve the issue with the housekeeping department. At that time, I was told by the young man at the front desk that he would handle the situation immediately.

It is unfortunate that this type of situation has occurred, especially since it was not close to check out and early in the morning. After that experience, and the amount of money spent to lodge at the Comfort Inn, a sour taste has been left in my mouth. This is absolutely not an indication with regard to the Front Desk Staff, as he is an extremely professional young man. However, it is a reflection on the housekeeping department, and the young lady should be retrained to "read", do not disturb, no matter the time.

Regretfully,
Dr. W. Hofler

Room Tip: Room that is positioned pointing to the street. Very good view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
lleib, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We appreciate your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to write. Please know that management did become involved in this situation after it was reported by the front desk staff. You can be sure that this will not happen again. Please accept our sincerest apologies as there is no excuse for this type of behavior by housekeeping. We hope that you will give us another chance. If your travels should bring you back to Newport News, please contact me directly and I will be sure that you have an excellent stay. Lori Leib - Director od Sales
Smithfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I was in Newport News for a work party and decided to stay at this hotel. I am glad I did. I arrived late and front desk staff was quick and efficient. I loved the set up of the rooms. We had a king bed and a pull out couch and it was plenty spacious. The beds were very comfortable. I liked the idea of the soft and firm pillows. My husband used a firm one while I preferred the soft. Just a good night all around.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to write. We really appreciate your business and your feedback. We are thrilled that the room provided a good night's sleep and a memorable experience. We hope you will visit again soon! Lori Leib - Director of Sales
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Good evening,
Previously I had given this establishment a high rating. Unfortunately my former review of Comfort Suites Airport has changed for the worse. Many amenities have been taken away: which were formerly considered to be relevant. Pizza night, chocolate chip cookies, newspaper delivered to your door - all gone!
Security is an issue at this hotel. The exterior carded key doors are not monitored to ensure the people pull each door closed every time. Often I can approach and gain entrance to the hotel without my key. The hallway and stairwell carpeting is worn and dirty, obviously not monitored regularly. Previous years of my affiliation with this hotel are a testimony to how clean and brilliant this hotel was. Plumbing, and water pressure problems abound now. Refrigerators freeze the food and the breakfast menu has become hum-drum at best. The pillows are dual sided; that's right! Hard on side one and soft on side two!!! Seriously, it is true. Sheets are old, not white, and smell burnt or over-dried, duvet covers have been replaced by a duvet sliding sheet adventure. The trick is to keep the duvet sheet on top of the down comforter so as not to reveal the uncleanliness of the comforter. Last visit, I went through two comforters before I received one that had not been spoiled. So bedding has gone down drastically. Clearly an organizational shift has transpired.
In closing, Comfort Suites falsely advertised booking specials this past summer. I have yet to receive my $50 MasterCard Gift Card for booking two stays within a qualifying time-frame. This place receives it lowered rating from my personal experiences with Comfort Suites, my stays, and continuous patronage. I will be staying elsewhere from this point on. It's not like there aren't any lovely places to stay in that area! Stay tuned for my blogs from Newport News!

Room Tip: If you find yourself unable to seek alternate accommodations request the back of the hotel. It is be...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
lleib, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
First I would like to thank you for the many times that you have stayed with Comfort Suites, and also for any past reviews that you have written. But, I would also like to address some of the concerns that you have pointed out. Pizza night is still consistent with this hotel, being offered on Wednesdays only, as it has always been, from 5 o'clock until the pizza is gone. That is also the only night that cookies are not served. Cookies are placed in the lobby after 4 o'clock until the batches prepared have been depleted. Free USA Today and Wall Street Journal newspapers are also located in the lobby for any guest to take. Comfort Suites has rolled out a new bedding requirement that all hotels are to follow. There is a choice of firm and soft pillows, which the card on the bed denotes. They have also required us to change the bed linen to a decorative top sheet with a bed scarf, and different choice of bed skirt. This was just done over the summer, so almost all of the bed linen including sheets and pillows in guest rooms were just recently purchased. Any promotions are offered directly by Choice Hotels International, so if a gift card was not received it would be my advice to contact them directly. We will investigate any plumbing or water-pressure issues, and thank you for bringing it to our attention because this is the first that we have heard of this problem. I hope I have addressed your concerns. Please contact myself or the general manager for any additional comments.
Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed here for a business trip. Food was basic hotel breakfast. Rooms were comfortable and spacious. Front desk help was very nice. Lots to do in the area-great beaches nearby. Hotel is located directly across the street from Olive Garden, Red Lobster & Smokey Bones. Very convenient!

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Waimea, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Convenient location, very close to the airport, with two chain restaurants nearby (Red Lobster and Olive Garden) and a huge mall across the (busy, six lane) street. The room was comfortable and quiet, service was good, and it is the only near the airport hotel with free shuttle service 24/7. If their shuttle isn't running, they summon and pay for a cab, which was the case for me as I had a 5:30AM flight. Unfortunately, the included breakfast (or even coffee) was not available that early so I can't speak to the quality of that amenity. The lobby is small, but nice enough and the desk staff were all very pleasant. There is supposed to be a selection of frozen entrees you can purchase for preparation in the room microwave, but there were problems with the freezer during my stay and that wasn't available. Didn't feel like going out, so I made do with a ramen soup cup and crackers that were available in the mini-store.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
lorileib, Director of Sales at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thanks for staying with us! We appreciate your business and your compliments.We are very happy that you found our hotel to be comfortable, quiet, convenient and friendly. We strive to be all of these and have met our goal when guests like yourself have a good experience. Please come back soon! Lori Leib - Director of Sales
Detroit Metro, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel 3 times now, a five night stay each time. The towels, sheets, bedding, everything seemed clean The sheets weren't the best quality. I like the quantity and choice of pillows (firm and soft). Though, I did notice a stain on one of the pillows, under the pillow case. :( Some of the hallway carpets were really dirty or stained....that made me wonder about the condition and cleanliness of the carpets in the rooms. The two double bed room, not a suite, was very crowded. But had a love seat sized pull-out bed in addition to the two doubles. The desk and chair spacing was very tight. I stubbed my toe on the chair once and bumped my hip on the desk and almost banged my shin against the coffee table. And it was only myself in the room. The chair seemed broken. Everyday, during one of my stays, my key did not work. I had to return to the lobby to request the key be reprogrammed. I think the breakfast bar was pretty good. DIY waffles, oatmeal, cold cereal, yogurt, a variety of breads and a toaster, coffee and tea, juices, sometimes hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit (apples, oranges, sometimes bananas). On one of my stays, the room seemed really damp. It was uncomfortable. The air conditioning system did not work adequately for my tastes. Some of my clothes smelled a little moldy when I got home. I used the airport shuttle service once, which was very convenient. The free wifi was adequate, no complaints there. The computer and printer in the business office were handy. The shower's water pressure and availability of hot water was perfect. The granite countertop and shower surround was a nice touch. Though there seemed to be water damage around the edges of the shower surrounds. I think all rooms have an iron and ironing board, mini fridge, coffee maker, microwave, alarm clock, tv, closet, luggage stand. I think the north side entry's card key access was inoperable, no big deal to me. There seemed to be plenty of parking. There were two restaurants (Olive Garden and Red Lobster) within immediate walking distance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your repeat business and for taking the time to give us your candid feedback. We are happy that you were able to enjoy many of the items that we offer to include the pillows, shower, wifi and location. However, we are very sorry that you experienced issues with your room key and your AC. We will certainly look into these problems so that the next guest does not encounter the same. Please feel free to contact me if your travels should bring you back to Newport News. We value your business. Lori Leib - Director of Sales

Been to Comfort Suites Airport? Share your experiences!