“Nightmare Vacation” 1 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
“Nightmare Vacation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have generally been pleased with Best Westerns as a whole, but this place didn't even resemble what I know to be Best Western. The first experience was with the desk clerk who was eating potato chips, and didn't bother to stop to check us in. Next, we get to the room, and to say it was dilapidated would be an understatement. The bathroom had mold on the walls and floor, along with broken faucet handles. The furniture in the "living room" was about to fall apart, had rips, and burn holes. The overall stench in the room was of 60 year smoke build up, and as a smoker, it was even unbearable to my husband.

When I went to ask about another room, grudgingly I was taken to one, right across the hall, and it was even worse. I went back to the original room, and my husband, who is not nearly as picky as I am, wouldn't even sit on the bed. He was disgusted and said he felt like this was something along the lines of "hourly" style rooms.

We immediately checked out, and I called the next day to make sure we weren't going to be charged, only to find out we had already been charged 3 times! After multiple phone calls, and a week and a half, all money was finally refunded, but this should never have happened in the first place. Best advice I can give, is stay somewhere else, and watch your bank statement!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Eastchester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

I was less than thrilled when my family decided to book rooms here for a wedding. I had never had a good experience at a Best Western. However, this hotel has given me a new perspective. Maybe it's the "Plus" in their name that elevates this hotel above the rest. It was clean, updated (except for the tube TV in the room - not a big deal), had friendly staff, etc. The room reminded me of a Springhill Suites. Breakfast is a basic continental type with a make your own waffle station.
I have 1 complaint. The gym is on the third floor. Unfortunately, this was right above our room (#202). It is open from 6 am until 10 pm and can be really disruptive to sleeping in and afternoon naps (which you may need after a long drive or being woken up @6 by the pounding on the treadmill). Also, they don't seem to stick to the 10 pm rule because my husband had to contact the front desk one night at 10:15 due to loud talking, laughing, and weight dropping. It was at that time the staff kicked the people out and officially closed the gym.

Overall though, I would recommend this hotel and would definitely consider staying in a Best Western Plus again.

• Stayed August 2012
dhrumit, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport News Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 21, 2012

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at quite a few Best Westerns, but this one rates right up there with the Best Western in Orlando, Florida. Clean rooms, friendly staff, and a fabulous free hot breakfast. I'd recommend this hotel for business or pleasure, families or by yourself/significant other. Trust me, the mini suites are the way to go. Check it out. You won't regret it!!

• Stayed September 2011

Parkersburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites review for 07.19.12 stay to 07.22.12

Stay location:Newport News, Virginia

Stay duration: 07.19.12 to 07.22.12

Room rate: 95USD/Night totalling approx 275USD

Please note: I did not do the booking, my mom did. I am unsure about total resolved (adjusted price)

hotel notes: Best Western Plus Newport News Inn & Suites

Pros: price was very low, availability, has wifi, has free breakfast,easy access to dining and shops and is a central Operations point to multiple area attractions, very easy to access offf freeway, very good layout, decent sized rooms, nice fixtures, plenty of tables, room felt secure, very courteous guests, decently fast elevator, smoking rooms are on top floor so you don't have to walk thru that if you don't smoke, well seperated rooms, responsive to wifi issues we had, changed room easy, parking was pretty decent. beds were decent, had a good bit of pillows and they were good,adequate bedding, A/C worked good, shower was nice, had a good shower curtain that curved outward so the shower curtain didn't stick to you, toilet flushed really good, very clean rooms, no smell in non-smoking rooms

Cons: slow wifi at first but resolved quickly by a call to front desk, breakfast wasn't as big as I hoped, breakfast area was very small and hectic, some corridors were too narrow, was put in smoking room by priceline and we had to switch to a non-smoking room and ended up paying 20 dollars more (priceline booking was cancelled by hotel and re ordered to be direct booking and priceline had the 20 dollar discount for the room), cleaning service was a little slow but they did a good job.

recommended:yes

4/5 stars

Room Tip: 2nd floor is the best floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Lakewood, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I chose this Best Western because it had an outdoor pool. The location was great, right off the main street. Close to Yorktown. The room had a nice set up with a king size bed, sitting area with a sleeper sofa, mini frige and microwave. It is obvious that this hotel is not new but it was clean.I was not thrilled with the service at the front desk. They tried to charge me for my room when I checked in,I had to explain to them I had already paid for it through priceline and was about to pull out my paperwork. (always bring a print out of your comfirmation)The next night I called the front desk and asked if I could get sheets and blankets for the sofa, I was cut off by and told " I can't leave the desk so you will have to come down and get it." I didn't mind getting them but I did mind her tone of voice. They were stingy with towels and blankets. the breakfast area is too small, there was a crowd in the morning so I didn't bother with the free breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had to do some work in Newport News, VA and stayed at this Best Western. The accommodations were great. Clean rooms and wonderful service. A special thanks to Jerry at the front desk for being so friendly and helpful. The only minor complaint was the breakfast area. A little small and the trash cans were not placed conveniently. They were also always overflowing.
I stayed again the following week so you know it was a good experience!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

This hotel gives great value for money. For this reason, we are happy to overlook one or two shortcomings and give it an overall excellent rating.
The hotel is not new, but is well maintained. Our room was spacious, with a separate lounge area and was equipped with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and old style tv. Everything was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The location of this place is off the road and very quiet.
There was a strong WiFi signal in the room.
Breakfast was not fantastic, but quite adequate. We did not have much interaction with the staff, but they all seemed pleasant.
We were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport News Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!