“It's a Best Western - not the Ritz - and It's Great” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Newport News
Richmond, Virginia
“It's a Best Western - not the Ritz - and It's Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Had to spend several days at this motel in August, 2010, on business. The motel was clean, the front desk person was friendly, engaging and courteous, rooms were well equipped and the internet service worked great in the room. Location is perfect; halfway between Bush Gardens and the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, Typical breakfast fare. Would stay here again should the need arise. Great rate with my AAA membership.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

In the morning my toilet clogged went to front desk and was given a plunger? I conveyed to front desk I am not plunging and toilet did not get plunged until late morning 2 hours later. Went to breakfast and asked do you have ketchup for eggs? Front Desk/ Breakfast person's response we have never had ketchup. At breakfast with eggs? Come on. The response was terse as if I was an idiot for asking. Left my computer in room and was charged $100 to return to Delaware. Shouldn't a call be made to customer to confirm prior to send out next day for $100? These are all common sense issues and solutions that were poorly thought out and handled by the staff and management.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
dhrumit, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport News Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
Sir,

I’m concerned about the recent problems you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. I’m writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing right, what we’re doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring.

But i would like to differ on one issue as we discussed before thru Bestwestern and over the phone about shipping the laptop. You wanted it ASAP(we thought next day air) and as it was electronic item we took insurance. if u think that is inconsiderate then we do apologize.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There’s no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction. That’s our goal.

General Manager.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Best Western was the best option we had in the area for the time we were there. It is a 2.5 star hotel, so I didn't expect much and didn't get much either. Was in a suite for 2 nights and the hotel was average for its star rating. Toilet had hot water in it, which was confusing, and you could tell they tried to clean the smell of smoke out of the room. Entire hallway smelled like smoke. Staff did the best with what the hotel is, and in the end you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Dear MR.PITT,

I’m concerned about the recent problems you experienced with the smell in the corridor at our hotel during your recent visit. I’m writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

General Manager.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

As a Truck Driver , after I arrive , it is hard to find a good place to park a tractor-trailer,, so thanks to people on staff ( Joel ), I have found many GREAT places to eat. Thanks to Cindy I have found a branch of my bank that I can walk to........The entire STAFF has always been helpful and pleasent ,, always SMILING and rready to HELP. I stay only 1 (one) night a week every week or two.. I can always rely on getting a room,, they even know my voice when I call.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

My family and I stayed at the Best Western in Newport News, Va in September of this year. The hotel has a great location, near to a large number of restaurants and shopping. The rooms were sparkling clean. The service provided was outstanding! We had a special need for our check out time and the staff went out of their way to accomodate us.
Excellent place to stay in Newport News at an excellent price!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

We enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel for leisure or business. This is a great location, easy access to/from the airport, shopping and local activities.

I was looking for a hotel with a reasonable rate and in a specific location. There rate wasn’t the lowest, but based on the room type (mini suite), amenities (free breakfast) and location I booked the hotel. The best rate available required prepayment was non refundable. I needed five nights and was hesitant to lock into the rate because of the reviews. I confirmed three nights and ended up extending my stay the additional nights at this location with no hesitation.

The hotel staff was most accommodating, very friendly and definitely knew how to make guest feel welcome! Checking in/out was efficient and fast. Service was great in all aspects.

Rooms are big and very comfortable. They are a great size for a family. The only minor snag was an odor in the hallway (nothing a little air freshener couldn’t fix).

I would not hesitate to stay with them again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed at the Best Western for 1 night on our way to the Outer Banks. The front desk attendant was friendly and helpful, and the room was nicely decorated and clean. Our major problem, and it was a big one, was that the air conditioner was INCREDIBLY noisy. I have no idea if it is like that in every room, but I set it to 72 degrees, and made sure the mode was on AUTO, and not FAN ON... but the air conditioner stayed on continually the entire night, and I kid you not, it sounded almost like a freight train was going through the parking lot at 40mph. It was loud. Gladly, our 3 year old can sleep through just about anything and only woke up 1-2 times... My wife and I were kept awake by it for a long time, and then woken up by it several times from 4:30am on... we finally gave up at about 6:30am.

The breakfast was nice, not great. The breakfast area is definitely crowded, and everyone waits for the one waffle maker.

The exercise room was empty at 7:30am, and it is a small room with about 6 pieces of equipment (treadmill, 2 stair climbers, leg extension, leg curl, and multi-exercise lat-pull type machine).

We are heading back that way at the end of the week, but we will not consider staying there again - and are hesitant to stay and another Best Western, but probably will at some point as I am sure this is not a consistent problem at other locations.

My advice - If you stay at the Best Western in Newport News... Bring Earplugs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Kjshah1217, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport News Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Let me start by thanking you for completing Guest Survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at 7579521182.

General manager

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport News Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!